AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have home theater system built around an ageing but still good Onkyo receiver. I am upgrading to a LG Smart TV and for the first time, my TV will have its own content.

So, trying to figure out the best way to wire the home theater system. A few questions:
- I assume the easiest way will be to do an optical out to the receiver from the TV?
- Does my receiver model support ARC or is that a more recent technology?
- Is there any other setup I should try?

I will still have a few input devices such as my Cable box and Apple TV that I will continue to wire the existing way. Device ->Receiver -> TV.

Regards
Karthik

Reactions: asabrag

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi, I have home theater system built around an ageing but still good Onkyo receiver. I am upgrading to a LG Smart TV and for the first time, my TV will have its own content.

So, trying to figure out the best way to wire the home theater system. A few questions:
  • I assume the easiest way will be to do an optical out to the receiver from the TV?
  • Does my receiver model support ARC or is that a more recent technology?
  • Is there any other setup I should try?

I will still have a few input devices such as my Cable box and Apple TV that I will continue to wire the existing way. Device ->Receiver -> TV.

Regards
Karthik
I seebyour Onkyo has TrueHD and DTS HD MA, right? At the time of those, all HDMI Out supported ARC...So, you should be fine with that.
Dont you have Air Channels in the TV to test it right away?

Apple TV/Cable are those 4K? If yes, that will be an issue.

·
Registered
28,568 Posts
just because the receiver supports DTS-HD and TrueHD doesn't mean it has ARC. I had a Denon AVR-2809 and it had HDMI 1.3a. You needed HDMI 1.4a and above for ARC.

HDMI 1.3a supports DTS-MA and TrueHD as I recently bought a used Marantz sr6003 which has that version of HDMI..

The TX-SR875 is only HDMI 1.3a and does not support ARC. You will need to connect optical from TV to receiver to get sound from the TV Smart apps.

Notice the HDMI out is not labeled ARC.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,568 Posts
Nope, Toslink supports compressed Dolby Digital and DTS but not TrueHD and DTS-HD as those are uncompressed formats and Toslink doesn't support uncompressed multichannel formats.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Afro GT for the details. So, my best bet is to use optical out and that also means TrueHD and DTS-HD are not supported? Well, the receiver is now 11+ years old and going strong, not going to replace it till it gives up :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, this is going to sound super silly - but just looked at my signature and the TX SR 875 was the previous receiver. The current model seems to be TX NR818!! Which at first glance seems to be support ARC!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not able to get this working.

On the LG OLED 65" CX, I have done the following:
- In the sound setup menu, ARC is chosen
- The HDMI from receiver is connected to HDMI2 - which is the ARC enabled HDMI in the TV
- In the Connection menu, device connection sub-menu, Simplink is turned on

On the Onkyo NR 818,
- Setup, Hardware control, HDMI Control is set to Yes. ARC is set to Auto

Still not getting any sound through the receiver at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts