AVS Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 2618 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Ok I didn't. So at 127 bar 17 barely flashes when brightness is at 53. When I tried 126 I had to move the brightness up to 54 in order to get bar 17 to barely flash. So which one should I choose?
Oh and at 128 I have to set brightness to 52 to get bar 17 to barely flash.
Ok so I think I decided on sub b/c at 127 with brightness at 51 & bar 18 barely flashing. If I use 52 or 53 I get a slight glow on my pure black screen (10 hours of pure black). So I'd rather have a minor crush losing bar 17 than have a slight glow on my pure black. Any opinions or advice?

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Ok so I think I decided on sub b/c at 127 with brightness at 51 & bar 18 barely flashing. If I use 52 or 53 I get a slight glow on my pure black screen (10 hours of pure black). So I'd rather have a minor crush losing bar 17 than have a slight glow on my pure black. Any opinions or advice?
It's very hard to see bar 17 flash, because your eyes can not adjust between the flashing. If you take a towel, roll it up lengthwise, and cover up the flashing numbers, but leave the top of the bars exposed, you will see bar 17. You are better off using Wizziwig's pattern in a dark room.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2579537-lg-oleds-how-enhance-near-black-detail-3.html#post46798617

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It's very hard to see bar 17 flash, because your eyes can not adjust between the flashing. If you take a towel, roll it up lengthwise, and cover up the flashing numbers, but leave the top of the bars exposed, you will see bar 17. You are better off using Wizziwig's pattern in a dark room.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2579537-lg-oleds-how-enhance-near-black-detail-3.html#post46798617
Sounds good @wxman! I will try again tonight using Wizziwigs pattern. Thank you for the link my friend! :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
On my 65C7P, for SDR, the OP's method only makes things worse. Increasing luminance by any mechanism, beyond 3 points, causes detail to be blown out. Going up to 15 and the image starts to look absolutely horrible.

OLED = 40
Contrast = 83
Brightness = 51
Gamma = BT1886
Color Temp = Warm 2

All enhancements and post processing OFF

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
On my 65C7P, for SDR, the OP's method only makes things worse. Increasing luminance by any mechanism, beyond 3 points, causes detail to be blown out. Going up to 15 and the image starts to look absolutely horrible.

OLED = 40
Contrast = 83
Brightness = 51
Gamma = BT1886
Color Temp = Warm 2

All enhancements and post processing OFF
If I'm not mistaken LG improved the near dark performance on the 2017 C7's. That was one of the improvements mentioned over the 2016 model. This method was only intended for the 2016 models. So it probably won't work for yours. And probably shouldn't need to be done. But I don't know for certain.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
If I'm not mistaken LG improved the near dark performance on the 2016 C7's. This method was only intended for the 2015 models. So it probably won't work for yours. And probably shouldn't need to be done. But I don't know for certain.
U mean the 2017 models have been improved and this method was intended for the 2015 and 2016 models

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
U mean the 2017 models have been improved and this method was intended for the 2015 and 2016 models

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Yes, apparently I was correcting my mistake as you were typing this. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
If I'm not mistaken LG improved the near dark performance on the 2017 C7's. That was one of the improvements mentioned over the 2016 model. This method was only intended for the 2016 models. So it probably won't work for yours. And probably shouldn't need to be done. But I don't know for certain.
I see, well, then let this be a note for any 2017 OLED owners. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I take it you don't have a harmony remote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would you be able to share how to use the harmony as the service remote?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I made this near black test pattern which might be more useful for getting repeatable results compared to using a scene from a movie. [....]

If your set passes this pattern, then you are seeing all the shadow detail that is possible to encode into a BD disk. Well, at least in grayscale. We would need a different pattern to see if any near-black colors are lost.
I created the same pattern in Paint.net (no, not MS Paint) for isolated red, green and blue colors. Attached are four 2160p PNG images: one each for gray, red, green and blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I created the same pattern in Paint.net (no, not MS Paint) for isolated red, green and blue colors. Attached are four 2160p PNG images: one each for gray, red, green and blue.
Thanks. I've been meaning to make colored versions of my pattern (maybe even including the secondaries cyan, magenta, and yellow) but just didn't have the time. I wasn't sure if the set displays photos with the same performance as videos so I made my patterns into mp4 files. You can do that with ffmpeg.exe but I don't remember the exact command line.

Edit: this thread should definitely be renamed "LG 2016 OLEDs - how to enhance near black detail". If you check Chad B. review of C7 in the owner's thread, you will see this issue has been solved for 2017.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Thanks. I've been meaning to make colored versions of my pattern (maybe even including the secondaries cyan, magenta, and yellow) but just didn't have the time. I wasn't sure if the set displays photos with the same performance as videos so I made my patterns into mp4 files. You can do that with ffmpeg.exe but I don't remember the exact command line.

Edit: this thread should definitely be renamed "LG 2016 OLEDs - how to enhance near black detail". If you check Chad B. review of C7 in the owner's thread, you will see this issue has been solved for 2017.
Did LG do what we are doing? Is the gamma at 5% tracking closer to gamma 1.9 on the 2017 models?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
^^^

See Chad's review here. Look at the second picture where he measures near black. 0.5% corresponds to level 17 in my pattern and you can see that this is not crushed on the 2017.

Chad calibrates OLEDs with a non-zero black level in Calman. Probably because this improved shadow detail on older models. This causes the ideal BT.1886 curve to follow a lower gamma near black before ramping up to the ideal 2.4. If you ignore that yellow BT.1886 line and look at the actual measurements, you will see that the 2017 C7 follows a pretty flat 2.2 curve below 5%. It may have been possible to calibrate this TV to a completely flat 2.4 with Calman set to 0-level black. That wasn't really possible to achieve on the 2016 regardless of what you tried in this thread because there are no controls to smooth out response below 5%. You either had too much or too little brightness below 5% and usually made 5-10% worse in the process. I have not seen anyone measure the Sony A1E below 5% so we don't know if they've made similar improvements. If this was an improvement made by LG Display then all manufacturers might benefit.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
^^^

See Chad's review here. Look at the second picture where he measures near black. 0.5% corresponds to level 17 in my pattern and you can see that this is not crushed on the 2017.

Chad calibrates OLEDs with a non-zero black level in Calman. Probably because this improved shadow detail on older models. This causes the ideal BT.1886 curve to follow a lower gamma near black before ramping up to the ideal 2.4. If you ignore that yellow BT.1886 line and look at the actual measurements, you will see that the 2017 C7 follows a pretty flat 2.2 curve below 5%. It may have been possible to calibrate this TV to a completely flat 2.4 with Calman set to 0-level black. That wasn't really possible to achieve on the 2016 regardless of what you tried in this thread because there are no controls to smooth out response below 5%. You either had too much or too little brightness below 5% and usually made 5-10% worse in the process. I have not seen anyone measure the Sony A1E below 5% so we don't know if they've made similar improvements. If this was an improvement made by LG Display then all manufacturers might benefit.
Looks like the gamma 2.2 curve is near 1.8 at 0.5%. Read his oddity with the screen dimming when pixel shift is turned off. Have to either switch inputs or power tv off to get it back to the correct level.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
No, you're looking at the yellow line which is the BT1886 target curve. As I explained, that curve will not be flat because black has an override inside Calman that ignores the true reading of 0 nits in order to produce a target curve that comes out of black quicker. Without that black reading override, the yellow line would be flat at 2.4. Unfortunately, Chad didn't test a pure 2.4 calibration.

Measurements of the C7’s near black behavior showed excellent shadow detail with gamma near ideal from .5% to 5%. This is dramatically better than the 6 series, and proof of the C7’s superior shadow detail and near black performance.
The actual readings of the TV are the bar graph. At 0.5% it's a little over 2.0 gamma and overall average below 5% is 2.2. It's much flatter than anything I've seen people achieve on the 2016 line. Those would rise into 2.7 or higher as you approach 0% if you had 5% calibrated correctly. Such high gamma near 0% resulted in the shadow detail crush that people complained about.

Ted posted the E6 results earlier in this thread. As you can see, 0.5% and 1.0% were crushed so bad that even his very expensive meter only saw black. Meanwhile 5% tracked spot on. This is why you couldn't correct below 5% without screwing up 5-10%.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts

Agreed - it took me a few tries to get everything set proeprly but the room being very dark and your eyes being fully adapted made the difference. I settled on 127 for brightness in the service sub-menu and use 52 for my brightness setting on the TV itself. Gamma BT1886. Blacks and shadow detail are very, very good IMO. :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Agreed - it took me a few tries to get everything set proeprly but the room being very dark and your eyes being fully adapted made the difference. I settled on 127 for brightness in the service sub-menu and use 52 for my brightness setting on the TV itself. Gamma BT1886. Blacks and shadow detail are very, very good IMO. :)
For sure! For right now I'm settling on 127 for sub b/c and 51 brightness. 52 brightness gave me a subtle glow on my pure black screen. 51 no glow at all. Are you still using the rampdown starting at 5 / +8 and then down by 2's from there?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
For sure! For right now I'm settling on 127 for sub b/c and 51 brightness. 52 brightness gave me a subtle glow on my pure black screen. 51 no glow at all. Are you still using the rampdown starting at 5 / +8 and then down by 2's from there?
Yeah - still using the "Ramp Down" system starting at IRE 5 +8 and counting down by two's from there. I use Brightness at 52 now since the service menu change from B:128 to B:127 allowed me to use Brightness 52. I used to be a steadfast Brightness 51 guy. :D

2141 - 2160 of 2618 Posts