AVS Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 2618 Posts

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Curious to know for those with a service remote and the E6, if LG changed white balance on these tv's during production. My prior 9500's and my first E6 had Warm RGB Gain settings of 192,160,128. My second E6 now has a setting of 192,176,119 for RGB gain. Plugging in the first settings into my current E6 does make the whites look better with Warm2.

The way to check is hit ADJ button, code 0413 and go down to White Balance and switch to Warm.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Pretty much with ya here. I am very satisfied with my dark scene detail at this point along with absolute blacks. :)
I'm asking as someone on the fence about whether to buy now (55E6) or wait for a 2017 model: Would you say you are so happy that there is no room for improvement in near black detail on the 2017 models? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I'm asking as someone on the fence about whether to buy now (55E6) or wait for a 2017 model: Would you say you are so happy that there is no room for improvement in near black detail on the 2017 models? Thanks!
Id never say "never" in this business. :) They are always tweaking things and making improvements. That beng said, if you can score a good buy on a 2016 model Id jump it without hesitation. I love my E6, period. Id buy it again today if I had to. It does require some tweaking to make it just right but thats true for pretty much any TV! Right?

Thats my take on it.

Reactions: mttpalmer

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I suspect one should put a number of hours on the display before trying any of these confusing/complicated calibrations. right?

·
Banned
46 Posts
Excellent. It really does make that little bit of difference. The OLED light setting adjustments are very slow as in it takes a few clicks to see anything change but that's good IMO. It's like a detailed panel brightness tweak. :)

Agreed. Room environment is my biggest determinant of which to use. I use BT1886 for expert dark room and 2.2 for expert bright room. Most other settings within those two are very similar.

Yep, in a dark room it's hard to not like 1886. The luminance edits and OLED light can bump up panel brightness just a tad if you feel it's too dim.

Absolutely. This thread rocks! It really has helped so many of us dial in our blacks, brightness and dark scene detail to the point where I'm very content and can now sit back and enjoy the show!
I work long hours on a PC. After work I like bt1886 better but I noticed that on my days off when my eyes are more rested I often prefer 2.2.. Why limiting out choices ?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Would someone mind posting their settings. I just want a starting off point and I'm too lazy to read 50 pages :D
Page 1 does help a lot but I dont mind. These are for a pretty dark room or evening viewing environment.

Expert Dark Room
OLED Light: 50-55(I adjust depending on just how dark the room is)
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 51
Color/Tint: 50/0
H&V sharpness: 10/10
All enhancements OFF

RealCinema: ON
Color Temp: Warm2
Gamma: BT1886

20 Point IRE adjustments:
IRE 5: +10
IRE 10: +9
IRE 15: +8
... and so on donw until you hit IRE 55 which will be +1. Then, IRE 60 through 100 are left alone!

TruMotion for MOVIES only
User: Dejudder: +2, DeBlur: +5(these are totally personal though and you'll find that everyone uses something different, it seems. Try it out and experiment)

TruMotion for all other content: OFF

See what ya think.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Page 1 does help a lot but I dont mind. These are for a pretty dark room or evening viewing environment.

Expert Dark Room
OLED Light: 50-55(I adjust depending on just how dark the room is)
Brightness: 51
Color/Tint: 50/0
H&V sharpness: 10/10
All enhancements OFF

Gamma: BT1886

IRE 10: +9
IRE 15: +8
... and so on donw until you hit IRE 55 which will be +1. Then, IRE 60 through 100 are left alone!

TruMotion for MOVIES only
User: Dejudder: +2, DeBlur: +5(these are totally personal though and you'll find that everyone uses something different, it seems. Try it out and experiment)

TruMotion for all other content: OFF

See what ya think.
Same for me except for:
Oled Light Auto
Brightness 50
Luminance adjustments [email protected]% all the way to [email protected]%
Trumotion: dejudder 5, deblur 10

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Just wanted to add mine for the heck of it:

ISF Dark Room
OLED Light: 60 (Yes even for dark room viewing. Even after hours of viewing I don't have eye-fatigue)
Brightness: 50
Color/Tint: 47/+2
H&V sharpness: 0/0
All enhancements Off

Gamma: BT.1886

IRE 10: +8
IRE 15: +6
IRE 20: +4
IRE 25: +2

I like the two-step Ire illumination adjustment more than the single step. It provides a little bit more "pop" while retaining quite low level black detail.

·
Banned
46 Posts

ISF Dark Room
OLED Light: 60 (Yes even for dark room viewing. Even after hours of viewing I don't have eye-fatigue)
All enhancements Off

I like the two-step Ire illumination adjustment more than the single step. It provides a little bit more "pop" while retaining quite low level black detail.
Very interesting how the meaning of a 'bright' image can be so subjective

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Same for me except for:
Oled Light Auto
Brightness 50
Luminance adjustments [email protected]% all the way to [email protected]%
Trumotion: dejudder 5, deblur 10
Nice, pretty damned close!

ISF Dark Room
All enhancements Off

Interesting with the two step IRE edits. I might mess with that just to see. And, I agree on the OLED light. Changes are very small to that value so 60 isn't out of the realm of being reasonable. Heck, I might try that too since the effect is subtle and it might work great!

Thanks, guys....keep 'em coming. I like comparing settings. It's helpful and educational. Great for new owners too. It helps them get off on the right foot versus using out of the box settings which are almost always terrible, lol.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
FWIW,

Using gamma 2.2, I start with brightness of 52 (It's that high because I have an issue with a glow with gamma 2.2, so I had to adjust 2 point low, first) For most, start with a brightness of 50.

My 20 point adjustment ended up being

5 IRE +6
10 IRE +4
15 IRE +2

With those settings and Ted's disc, in a totally dark room, the 1/2% slide was dimly visible within 2 feet of the screen. Black remains black.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
So this thread is mainly in reference to regular blu-ray movies and other content. It would not apply to 4K discs with HDR? Or is there a way to make these gama adjustments with HDR?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Anyone have Deepwater Horizon blu-ray or 4K?

Around the 1:09:30 mark or so, a helicopter takes off at night to a black sky. When I saw the movie, I noticed very slight scattered posterization/very slight dullish, greenish-grey discoloration across the black sky. After watching the movie, I went back to it to tune my blacks. I found dropping the Brightness to 49 (in HDR mode) made the sky pitch black but it also blended in with the black bars. I did this both on the 4K disc in HDR mode and on the regular blu-ray.

It looks very nice with the sky pitch black and only the helicopter lights showing but I am wondering if that is crushing blacks. For people with Deepwater Horizon, if you do not mind, would you please watch that scene. Do you think the sky should be pitch black or is that crushing blacks if it is pitch black? And if it should be slightly brighter, how should it look

1421 - 1440 of 2618 Posts