AVS Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 2638 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
This is just for the luminance setting, right?
Correct. You'll have to experiment a bit since all sets are different but this is a good starting point.

I saw your post about deep water horizon but I don't own that film. It's tough to use content to set brightness only because every transfer is slightly different and then you have directors intent to worry about. Some films just have muddier blacks...like Star Trek beyond. Other films have great blacks like Underworld.

Try multiple titles that you are familiar with and that'll help you set it right. And, once it's set and looks good for most content, leave it. A few titles will always appear off but just let it be. Get it set where it works for most of what you watch and you'll be good.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I saw your post about deep water horizon but I don't own that film. It's tough to use content to set brightness only because every transfer is slightly different and then you have directors intent to worry about. Some films just have muddier blacks...like Star Trek beyond. Other films have great blacks like Underworld.
I have found other film scenes that go from off-black looking to pitch black with Brightness at 49 versus 50. Not sure if crushing or not, but it looks better. Do others find brightness of 49, in dark room, to be too low?

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Do most pro calibrators start from 2.4 or 2.2 when calibrating a C6?
My calibrator used BT1886 as a base.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
46 Posts
My calibrator used BT1886 as a base.

I wonder how much that depends on room conditions more than on the specific Oled panel.
Most films are produced in 2.2 from what I know, and regular tv/sports I dont even know what that is about.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I wonder how much that depends on room conditions more than on the specific Oled panel.
Most films are produced in 2.2 from what I know, and regular tv/sports I dont even know what that is about.
I think.it was more about getting to a custom gamma of 2.35 on my set.

·
Banned
46 Posts
I think.it was more about getting to a custom gamma of 2.35 on my set.

But if I recall you calibrator went on record saying that bt1886 did not look natural on these 2016 Oleds and that he preferred to start things from 2.2? Maybe I remember wrong

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
But if I recall you calibrator went on record saying that bt1886 did not look natural on these 2016 Oleds and that he preferred to start things from 2.2? Maybe I remember wrong
Right thats why i have a custom gamma curve, for a professional calibration the starting gamma can vary .Not sure what your question is . Everyone wants to speak in absolutes that is not how Chad calibrates. The bottom line is I have a 2.35 custom gamma curve that looks great.

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
I found something interesting with regards to sharpness on OLED panels and blu ray players that upscale 1080p to 4K before sending to tv. It occurs on my 9500 and E6, and occurs using my 103D, Panny 900 and Oppo 203. First make sure the blu ray player is upscaling to 4K. Next, raise sharpness to 20 on tv. Now go in and set your brightness. You can just use a 0% slide in a totally dark room. Raise brightness until it glows, and lower 1 click at a time until it turns black again. Next, lower sharpness to less than 10. The black screen now glows again, and you have to lower brightness one more click to get black back. This only occurs when having the blu ray player upscale. If I set all the players to send only 1080p to tv, I can set brightness at 0 or at 50, and it has no effect. BTW, adjusting brightness with UHD blu ray movies, also has no effect on brightness, just regular blu ray being upscaled to 4K. Raising sharpness to 20 or higher lowers luminance when the player does the upscaling. Weird.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,510 Posts
I found something interesting with regards to sharpness on OLED panels and blu ray players that upscale 1080p to 4K before sending to tv. It occurs on my 9500 and E6, and occurs using my 103D, Panny 900 and Oppo 203. First make sure the blu ray player is upscaling to 4K. Next, raise sharpness to 20 on tv. Now go in and set your brightness. You can just use a 0% slide in a totally dark room. Raise brightness until it glows, and lower 1 click at a time until it turns black again. Next, lower sharpness to less than 10. The black screen now glows again, and you have to lower brightness one more click to get black back. This only occurs when having the blu ray player upscale. If I set all the players to send only 1080p to tv, I can set brightness at 0 or at 50, and it has no effect. BTW, adjusting brightness with UHD blu ray movies, also has no effect on brightness, just regular blu ray being upscaled to 4K. Raising sharpness to 20 or higher lowers luminance when the player does the upscaling. Weird.
Interesting. I set the H and V Sharpness to 0 before calibrating. Perhaps, this is why I get no glow with 2.2 gamma.

- Rich

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,510 Posts

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
It may be that a combination of settings.

- Rich
I have tried every combination. The glow occurs with a brightness of 0, sharpness of 0, OLED light 0 and contrast at 0. If raising sharpness actually lowers luminance like it does with upscaling blu ray to 4K by the player, raising sharpness should get rid of the glow for everything. the only fix that works is lowering 2 point low to -20, -20, -20 and then raising brightness to 52. My previous E6 had the exact same problem with gamma 2.2. No other gamma has that issue.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,510 Posts
I have tried every combination. The glow occurs with a brightness of 0, sharpness of 0, OLED light 0 and contrast at 0. If raising sharpness actually lowers luminance like it does with upscaling blu ray to 4K by the player, raising sharpness should get rid of the glow for everything. the only fix that works is lowering 2 point low to -20, -20, -20 and then raising brightness to 52. My previous E6 had the exact same problem with gamma 2.2. No other gamma has that issue.

Perhaps this is a B6 versus E6 difference?

- Rich

·
Banned
27 Posts
A B6 owner suggested me to try to lower green at low and high because both B6 and C6 supposedly push green out of the box.
I thought that randomly messing with white balance is not advices. Your thoughts guys?

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
A B6 owner suggested me to try to lower green at low and high because both B6 and C6 supposedly push green out of the box.
I thought that randomly messing with white balance is not advices. Your thoughts guys?
My c6 pushed red oob

·
Registered
327 Posts
Most of the pros use ISF modes because they rely on meters and calibration tools.
But if you own uncalibrated panel and you don't intend to get it calibrated or waiting to save up to later on getting it calibrated, then Cinema mode seems to be more accurate ootb

I think I'll give this a try on my EF9500 for a few days to see how it looks.

I've been running ISF1 on this set with a few tweaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
27 Posts
I think I'll give this a try on my EF9500 for a few days to see how it looks.

I've been running ISF1 on this set with a few tweaks.

I think as long as panel is uncalibrated cinema mode is the most accurate OOTB without touching white balance

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think as long as panel is uncalibrated cinema mode is the most accurate OOTB without touching white balance

I do like cinema. Looks nice to mine and my wife's eyes.

I did not realize that motion would be set to clear. Yuck!

Turned off all extra processing and will watch this way for a while.

Thanks for the input here guys!

1441 - 1460 of 2638 Posts