AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you so much for looking..It means a lot as this is a HUGE purchase...


So for around the same price (1750 total) I have a choice of a NEW Samsung


LN-T5271F , a Samsung LN-52A630 , or a LG 52LG50....


I can't decide....The two Sammys are 120hz, but I have a friend who is a high end AV professional that says the kinks are not worked out on that yet and that the real issue is ISF calibration capabilities....which only the LG has. THe LNT Samy was a mich higher end TV in their line last year then the A630 is this year, but does that make it better? PLease help and thanks.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXStR8'OwNiN'Xx /forum/post/15534085


Thank you so much for looking..It means a lot as this is a HUGE purchase...


So for around the same price (1750 total) I have a choice of a NEW Samsung


LN-T5271F , a Samsung LN-52A630 , or a LG 52LG50....


I can't decide....The two Sammys are 120hz, but I have a friend who is a high end AV professional that says the kinks are not worked out on that yet and that the real issue is ISF calibration capabilities....which only the LG has. THe LNT Samy was a mich higher end TV in their line last year then the A630 is this year, but does that make it better? PLease help and thanks.....

The answer to your question is "it depends". And as you implied, comparing the A630 to the LG50 is not an apples-to-apples comparison. A more apt comparison is the A630 to the LG70 (120hz, comparable CR). I was in that position about a month ago -- deciding between an A630 and LG70, and I chose the LG. My TV is in a room with a lot of windows and lighting, so glare was going to be an issue. The LG has a full-matte screen which totally neutralizes the glare. The A630 (semi-matte screen) was still reflecting some of the glare of the bright lights in the Best Buy I saw it at. Are there differences in PQ? The Samsung PQ may be marginally better -- or maybe I thought it was because I read the gushing reviews of consumer reports prior to seeing the sets in the stores. In the end there wasn't enough difference in the PQ but enough of a difference in the glare neutralizing finish of the LG that it won out. One poster above notes the off-angle viewing is better in a Samsung, and if that's in important factor to you, then I suppose you should take that into consideration.


There are plenty of Samsung threads in this forum and you should also check out the XXLG70 thread as well (lots of happy owners over there).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your detailed response...Unfortunately, although the retail prices are similar, The xxLG70 has not been of interest to me because it is close to $300 more than I can get the 630 for....Seems weird but that is the case....the xxLG50 was the same price...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXStR8'OwNiN'Xx /forum/post/15534899


Thanks for your detailed response...Unfortunately, although the retail prices are similar, The xxLG70 has not been of interest to me because it is close to $300 more than I can get the 630 for....Seems weird but that is the case....the xxLG50 was the same price...

Interesting -- they were comparably priced (w/in $20) online and at BB prior to the holidays, and I was comparing the 40" samsung to the 42" LG. But yeah, $300 is good chunk of change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Get the Samsung period
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
I like the Sammy, and I'd want the 120 Hz, but I do have to admit that LGs are kinda the 'unsung heroes' of the LCD world. They don't get much attention, but the pic quality is really quite good.


I lean Samsung, but I think you'll be impressed with the pic quality of both sets. Might want to view a lot of sports and action movies scenes on both of them, and see if the 120 Hz really matters to you.

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
Toshibas are good, but IMO, both Samsung and LG beat 'em in pic quality.


If there's a fantastic deal on the 'shiba, though, that's something to consider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15535439


Toshibas are good, but IMO, both Samsung and LG beat 'em in pic quality.


If there's a fantastic deal on the 'shiba, though, that's something to consider.


Well I have never owned an lg so I really cant agree or disagree with that statement. In my opinion there will be some toshiba models with better pq than samsung and lg models and vice versa. I guess everyone will have their own opinions and experinces with certan brands. I can only give a knowledgeable opinion on what I have owned and or viewed for extended periods. I cant say toshiba has better pq than samsung. I can say that between the toshiba 545 and samsung 630 I compared the toshiba 545 was better. Part of what made the 545 better was the srt which the 540 I suggested above does not have. However with the srt off I still felt like the 545 had better overall pq.The 540 also has 120hz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,040 Posts
Samsung
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I have the 42LG70 myself, and even I would say get the LN52A630. I would have gotten the 630 Samsung myself in the 40 inch, but the price was alot higher than what I paid for the LG. That Samsung is a bad ass TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15535439


Toshibas are good, but IMO, both Samsung and LG beat 'em in pic quality.


If there's a fantastic deal on the 'shiba, though, that's something to consider.

Really??!!! LG??? Really??!!! I'll give them props for the refrigerator that doubles as a fireplace.



I would stick the either Sharp, Sony, or Samsung. Toshiba is the only non-S brand LCD I'd buy.


WG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdg /forum/post/15536488


Really??!!! LG??? Really??!!! I'll give them props for the refrigerator that doubles as a fireplace.

Really, LG. I've viewed their 70 series sets extensively, and side-by-side with Sammy 650s. Sammy won, but it was quite close.


Apple just recently inked a 5-year deal with LG to supply them with flat panels. And Apple is notoriously picky when it comes to such things.


Wouldn't be ashamed at all to own an LG... though I am getting a Sammy.


The one bad thing I've heard about LG? Apparently their 2008 models don't convert analog-to-digital very well, so you best be hooking up through HDMI. Haven't had a chance to test that for myself, tho'.

.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top