AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am trying to figure out which tv is going to be better for 3d gaming through a PC. My space is limited to a max of 42". I am willing to go passive or active for the 3d, but I do want to make sure that it is not going to ghost and will display in 1080p. So far the two i have narrowed it down to are Samsung UN40D6400 and the LG 42LW5300. I am up to suggestions though. It will be only used as a PC monitor (yes i know they make 3d monitors but 27" is not large enough).

I did discover that the Samsungs can be rollermoded to work in CB mode, but i believe it is limited to the 46" and up (D7000 and d8000). Still struggling to find any concrete information on if IZ3d or Tridef work.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
your right. however a 3dtv will not look as good as a 27" 3d monitor because of the frame packing.

If you going to get one. get the samsung, but you really should be looking at plasma because they are cheaper, but you dont have the space for a bigger tv.

just my .02

me I went with the 27" monitor over tv because I game on pc first, later i will get a 3d projector for bluray 3d/directv/ps3/360.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranie909 /forum/post/20820330

Do plasmas still suffer from burn in with PCs? Also any reason for the suggestion of the samsung?

We game on a Panasonic plasma VT25 and no burn in despite many hours of GT5 and Motorstorm (frakkin love motorstorm).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well I just got done with my month long gaming PC build using my Panasonic 55in VT30 3dtv as many trials and errors this is what I learned.

First of all the Nvidia cards have much better 3d support in their drivers so they would be a better option for 3d than AMD. AMD cards can't even work in 3d when they are in crossfireX(multiple GPUs). As for the display ALL plasmas display some sort of burn-in(IR). The new model plasmas are much better for less burn-in, but it is still possible. LED/LCDs you don't have to worry about IR but the trade off is they have more 3d ghosting. Also what sucks is all current 3dtvs are the 3d is limited to 720p @60 FPS & 1080p @24 FPS. And 24 FPS is not playable in a game, turns into a slideshow. It is rumored that 2012 3dtvs will have the upgraded hdmi to support [email protected] FPS in 3d. There are a few monitors out there that have the high framerate 3d support, but they are expensive and smaller than u want. If you can wait till next year it would be better to purchase a 3d set then when the 3d 1080p is available to get the most out of your gaming rig. If your like me and can't wait the Pannys and Samsungs are pretty close this year with Panny slightly ahead with it's deeper black levels, but Samsung has slightly better color. And forget about passive 3dtv b/c current passive set halves your resolution playing. So that would be half resolution of 720p. [email protected]&£# that! For gaming active glasses are the way to go.

If u got the money I would go with the 3screen vision surround setup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYbNG37g6U0

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are only limited to those resolutions with nvidia 3d. Tridef and iz3d have overcome that (also rollermod for higher end samsungs for full 1080p CB mode). While the passive cuts the res to 1920x540 per eye, as long as both eyes are open you get full 1080p due to both visuals being combined in your head.

I do agree that the Samsung tvs do have a great picture and a very good looking tv in general. My only hesitation is the active 3d and really the lack of support for it in games. I am limited to a max of 42" due to where the tv is going. Sadly the rollermod fix only works for the 46" and up models. If not i would have picked up the un40d6400. Right now i know that the LG can do side by side 1080p, but cant do CB mode due to glich in the tv. Why is there never an easy answer :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just my two cents - while I am not a huge gamer - I did come from a 50 inch vt25. Loved the TV however the picture was just to dark from my liking - with the shutter glasses and small amount of ghosting, games (and movies) just seemed like a gimic, not of practical use. Now that I am with a 55 inch LG passive - it just seems right. The picture is so bright, the glasses are perfect and no ghosting. I now love my LG and have my panny for sale lol!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranie909 /forum/post/20823634

You are only limited to those resolutions with nvidia 3d. Tridef and iz3d have overcome that (also rollermod for higher end samsungs for full 1080p CB mode). While the passive cuts the res to 1920x540 per eye, as long as both eyes are open you get full 1080p due to both visuals being combined in your head.

I do agree that the Samsung tvs do have a great picture and a very good looking tv in general. My only hesitation is the active 3d and really the lack of support for it in games. I am limited to a max of 42" due to where the tv is going. Sadly the rollermod fix only works for the 46" and up models. If not i would have picked up the un40d6400. Right now i know that the LG can do side by side 1080p, but cant do CB mode due to glich in the tv. Why is there never an easy answer :p

I don't know about your head, but I see the soft focus, half resolution, with black lines, with passive with both eyes open.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I sit to close to the tv - sure - if I sit back - the 3d effect blows the vt25 out of the water. We stopped watching 3d on the vt25 as the picture was just to dark and watched most of the 3d on our 720 projector setup. Now the LG is getting all of our 3d viewings - we love it!

There is so much more depth to the 3d - the brightness and lack of any ghosting goes a long way. Trust me I loved my VT25 - now - not even close!

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by space123321 /forum/post/20950322

If I sit to close to the tv - sure - if I sit back - the 3d effect blows the vt25 out of the water. We stopped watching 3d on the vt25 as the picture was just to dark and watched most of the 3d on our 720 projector setup. Now the LG is getting all of our 3d viewings - we love it!

There is so much more depth to the 3d - the brightness and lack of any ghosting goes a long way. Trust me I loved my VT25 - now - not even close!

Tranie909 said he wanted 1080p. Passive isn't 1080p. i don't care what LG says your brain sees. Yes plasma isn't bright. LCD is bright and many current models have little or no crosstalk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.