AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that they are both riddled with issues, but which one actually will play more movies from both formats without screwing up?...(Audio issues aside)...
I was thinking about buying one of these for my daughters room when the prices drop dramatically during the next month or so...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, since I haven't got any responses, I guess I'll go down to BB and buy the LG and start throwing discs at it...The 20% off ends tomorrow so I don't have much more time left. I'll keep folks posted as to what I think of the unit as far as playability with both formats...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
I blieve That the player is only as good as the discs it's compatible with (plays) meaning

that the player need's constant firmware updates to remain compatable with the latest BLU-RAY movie. So if the manufacture is slow to release firmware update's dont buy there player, LG is very good at providing regular firmware updates where as Samsung are very slow in providing these critical updates to be able to watch the new release BLU-RAY movie....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
The coupon doesn't say anything about combo players, does it ?

Unless store manager is your brother-in-law


The one thing that annoys the piss out of me - as far as this player - is the gamma level. In terms of playability, you may have one initial hiccup with untried disc ( like a freeze-up ), but after a reboot it would seem to go away for good.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch /forum/post/12951998


The coupon doesn't say anything about combo players, does it ?

Unless store manager is your brother-in-law


The one thing that annoys the piss out of me - as far as this player - is the gamma level. In terms of playability, you may have one initial hiccup with untried disc ( like a freeze-up ), but after a reboot it would seem to go away for good.

The 20% coupon is definitely good for dual format players...I've already checked.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,034 Posts
I just picked mine up from Datavision for 619. Plus there was a link to a 20.00 coupon off in the BH200 thread. So getting one shipped for 614 is a heck of a steal. Looks like I got my Family room unit and outdoor theater unit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/12960731


I just picked mine up from Datavision for 619. Plus there was a link to a 20.00 coupon off in the BH200 thread. So getting one shipped for 614 is a heck of a steal. Looks like I got my Family room unit and outdoor theater unit!

Ditto here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
When and if LG comes out with a firmware update that fixes the 1080P/24 issue and offers bitstream for advanced audio like DTS HD Master for the BH200 I will be interested in the player.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/12950875


If I were to get one today it would be the LG unit... Let me know how that goes.

I have decided to take it back and get another HD-A35 and another BD30...Wasn't too impressed with the unit...I'll just leave it at that. I have decided to stay with separates until the end...
I can't live with the 1080P/24 issue. Not even for my daughters room...(I know, My bad)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHDMan /forum/post/12945766


I realize that they are both riddled with issues, but which one actually will play more movies from both formats without screwing up?...(Audio issues aside)...
I was thinking about buying one of these for my daughters room when the prices drop dramatically during the next month or so...

The both use the same chip and the same drivers from Broadcom, so they share many issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Could somebody explain to me why the BD30 is on everybody's lips ? I owned one for over month & half and it was spectacularly unspectacular.

Playing back same exact movies now on LG DF player is like a whole other experience.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,034 Posts
I don't know what there is not to like about the BD30. It is still in the starting position in my theater. It is FAST loading, a great picture adjustment menu, and does 1080p/24. The picture was as good or even slightly better than the Pioneer 95FD which costs twice as much. And now many are also saying the new Denon unit has the exact same picture. I am only getting the LG unit for a Family room plasma and for using this summer with my outdoor theater set up. Having one player to do both will be very convenient in both of those instances...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch /forum/post/12974440


Could somebody explain to me why the BD30 is on everybody's lips ? I owned one for over month & half and it was spectacularly unspectacular.

Playing back same exact movies now on LG DF player is like a whole other experience.

What was it about the LG that made it a whole other experience?


Thanks,


Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle /forum/post/12981583


What was it about the LG that made it a whole other experience?


Thanks,


Larry



I own HD-DVD copy of Good Fellas that looks like crap when played back on A2 Tosh. Whereas the LG makes it plenty watchable by bringing punch and depth to the image.

SD version of Professional looks like chicken puke when played on my Pio flagaship SD player hooked to a XBR960.

On LG connected to Elite plasma it appears like another movie altogether.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/12976811


The picture was as good or even slightly better than the Pioneer 95FD which costs twice as much.


Every Pio BR machine I've seen on retail floor playing demo disc ( collection of animation & film clips ) via 60" Kuro Elite produced OFF-THE-DIAL image


The only title played by BD30 that blew me away PQ wise was Crank.

Then again, that transfer is dynamite to start with. Plus I laughed my arse off
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top