AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Previous projector was the LG PF1500, I was happy with the image, however circumstances changed. We got a new sectional couch that doesn't allow me to easily shelf mount the projector anymore. Spent the last dealing with the headaches of buying and returning TV's in the 65-70" range and also returning my old LG PF1500. I could not stand the TV, watching movies on it was a joke (spoiled by the projector now).

I decided to order the LG PF1000u, was hesitant dropping that much cash on a projector but I simply was not happy with the TV's at all and that was a complete waste of money. I just received the LG PF1000u and I am pretty disappointed. Having pretty severe focus issues, can't seem to get it all in focus at once, either the upper corner is in focus and lower corner is not, vice-versa. Just can't get it all uniform. It is also quite a bit more dim. I am not sure that I can live with it. I have an imperfect room. White ceiling, tan walls. Can close most curtains and the slider door shades.

My LG PF1500 was a bit brighter and I made a DIY ALR screen which significantly helped, this contributed to myself being content with that projector. I cannot have a ALR screen with this projector and I do not want to drop $5k on a new Black Diamond UST projector screen.

I really also do not want to mount a projector, I am renting a town home right now and will probably be moving in the next 6 months to rent a house. I will probably only rent that house for another 1-2 years and move again to purchase a house. So I really want to stay away from drilling holes in the ceiling or walls.

End result, keep the LG PF1000u with these issues, which is depressing after dropping over $1,000 on it.

Or purchase something along the lines of the BenQ HT1085st and place it on a coffee table that I can make anywhere from 5ft-6.5ft away from the projection wall. The whole bulb cost issue is what is killing me. This is a TV replacement, will be used everyday for probably 8+ hours a day. I tested my usage the past year and I was pushing over 3,000 hours. Eco Mode will somewhat help this situation.

I will not be going back to a TV, I know that for a fact.

Part of me wants to be happy and purchase the BenQ HT1085st but the otherside is holding me back saying how much I am going to spend in bulb cost. I hope the image will be sharper and not have these focus issues. Otherwise I feel like I am going back to square one.

I hope I included everything, just some opinions and thoughts would be helpful. I am really depressed about this whole situation and it almost seems like it is not fun anymore.

Anohaakten

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry forgot to add, want 100" - 110" screen. Currently using LG PF1000u on a tan wall. 1085ST would never be switched out of Eco mode because of the bulb cost issue.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
In SmartEco lamp mode, you only need a new lamp every two years. So $45 per year for a new lamp if you relamp rather than buying a full lamp module. That doesn't seem like much of an expense. Even a new OEM module at $200 every two years doesn't seem bad tome.

An LED projector is "supposed" to last 20,000 hours but nobody has actually put that many hours on one that I know of. Nor have I heard of what the replacement cost is for the LED module. If the entire projector is just dead useless in less than 7 years at your 3000hrs/yr usage, that would seem to be a higher cost than replacing lamps.

Of course, with changing technology you may not keep either projector for 7 years. I would focus on the brightness advantage the Benq has as well as the sharper focus. SmartECO is just as bright as Normal mode while stretching the lamp hours to 6,000hrs. It will be more than bright enough to use on an ALR screen at 110".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In SmartEco lamp mode, you only need a new lamp every two years. So $45 per year for a new lamp if you relamp rather than buying a full lamp module. That doesn't seem like much of an expense. Even a new OEM module at $200 every two years doesn't seem bad tome.

An LED projector is "supposed" to last 20,000 hours but nobody has actually put that many hours on one that I know of. Nor have I heard of what the replacement cost is for the LED module. If the entire projector is just dead useless in less than 7 years at your 3000hrs/yr usage, that would seem to be a higher cost than replacing lamps.

Of course, with changing technology you may not keep either projector for 7 years. I would focus on the brightness advantage the Benq has as well as the sharper focus. SmartECO is just as bright as Normal mode while stretching the lamp hours to 6,000hrs. It will be more than bright enough to use on an ALR screen at 110".
Hey Dreamer,

Thanks for the response. I agree that the entire LED longevity is pure speculation. Where are you finding lamps for those prices? I found one for $265.99 with free ship from a reputable source that ProjectorCentral.com suggested. Also, for all the people that have had a projector for a long time, how hard does it get to find lamps for your projector after 2 years...4 years....6 years? Especially on a projector that was released in 2014, 2 years ago?

Just curious guys, really appreciate the responses.

Anohaakten

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've owned a BenQ W1080ST for a few years now and have been thrilled with the performance of the projector. Projecting a 120" 16:9 image from roughly 6 feet away. My first bulb lasted me 3,500 hours or so best I can recall. Projector is used 4-5 hours a day on average. Posted some pics here if you want to check them out. Just moved this past July. Saving up at present for a front projector that offers a 14-17 foot throw per the same screen height which will be used in conjunction with an a-lens/sled that I picked up last month and scope screen (...I have yet to purchase). Will more than likely keep the BenQ in the mix using it purely for casual viewing and gaming at that point.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello everyone,

Previous projector was the LG PF1500, I was happy with the image, however circumstances changed. We got a new sectional couch that doesn't allow me to easily shelf mount the projector anymore. Spent the last dealing with the headaches of buying and returning TV's in the 65-70" range and also returning my old LG PF1500. I could not stand the TV, watching movies on it was a joke (spoiled by the projector now).

I decided to order the LG PF1000u, was hesitant dropping that much cash on a projector but I simply was not happy with the TV's at all and that was a complete waste of money. I just received the LG PF1000u and I am pretty disappointed. Having pretty severe focus issues, can't seem to get it all in focus at once, either the upper corner is in focus and lower corner is not, vice-versa. Just can't get it all uniform. It is also quite a bit more dim. I am not sure that I can live with it. I have an imperfect room. White ceiling, tan walls. Can close most curtains and the slider door shades.

My LG PF1500 was a bit brighter and I made a DIY ALR screen which significantly helped, this contributed to myself being content with that projector. I cannot have a ALR screen with this projector and I do not want to drop $5k on a new Black Diamond UST projector screen.

I really also do not want to mount a projector, I am renting a town home right now and will probably be moving in the next 6 months to rent a house. I will probably only rent that house for another 1-2 years and move again to purchase a house. So I really want to stay away from drilling holes in the ceiling or walls.

End result, keep the LG PF1000u with these issues, which is depressing after dropping over $1,000 on it.

Or purchase something along the lines of the BenQ HT1085st and place it on a coffee table that I can make anywhere from 5ft-6.5ft away from the projection wall. The whole bulb cost issue is what is killing me. This is a TV replacement, will be used everyday for probably 8+ hours a day. I tested my usage the past year and I was pushing over 3,000 hours. Eco Mode will somewhat help this situation.

I will not be going back to a TV, I know that for a fact.

Part of me wants to be happy and purchase the BenQ HT1085st but the otherside is holding me back saying how much I am going to spend in bulb cost. I hope the image will be sharper and not have these focus issues. Otherwise I feel like I am going back to square one.

I hope I included everything, just some opinions and thoughts would be helpful. I am really depressed about this whole situation and it almost seems like it is not fun anymore.

Anohaakten
I have owned the BenQ 1085ST for over a year now and have no complaints at all. It was pretty easy to set up and dial in the settings, plenty of brightness and no clarity/focus issues. I would definitely recommend it to anyone in this price range and those wanting a short throw projector.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decided to go with the BenQ. Did a return on the LG PF1000u. The BenQ HT1085ST should be here tomorrow. Got it from Fry's for $778 brand new. Hopefully everything goes well with this projector.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Decided to go with the BenQ. Did a return on the LG PF1000u. The BenQ HT1085ST should be here tomorrow. Got it from Fry's for $778 brand new. Hopefully everything goes well with this projector.
Sounds like a great price for the BenQ! Good luck with it. Hope you like it. My BenQ W1080ST hasn't failed to disappoint knock on wood.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few questions regarding this projector.

Does it have a game mode that I should put this in or PC mode that will help reduce input lag for gaming(or turning off features such as noise reduction)?

Can I extend lamp life by turning off brilliant color and turning off quick cooling and turning brightness down? Or is setting it in Economic mode the best it can do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts