AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It's nowhere near plasma thin and I doubt it's anywhere close to market. It's probably a FED prototype.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
It's nowhere near plasma thin and I doubt it's anywhere close to market. It's probably a FED prototype.
Thin enough for me, I think you are picking nits, I am just guessing but that looks like it is about 4 - 5 in thick. It looks like it could hang on a wall nicely or fit on a table top reasonably. If it is a CRT and has CRT blacks and contrast, that would be very interesting compared to plasma. This is why I would like to see some links and data on this.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
798 Posts
New to me!!!! I will place a call into LG first thing in the morning.

Mark

·
Registered
692 Posts
I agree...it looks pretty thin to me...looks to be 4-5" thick. Plasmas are what...3 - 4" think? That's not too far from each other.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I remember way back in the dawn of laptop computers, there was one company making notebooks with a flat CRT screen. Apparently the guns fired from the side and the beam was guided with some sort of array of magnets. This technology was not long-lived.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I prefer black bezels and can tolerate silver, but if that beige becomes popular I may have to break the warranty and use some spray paint.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PooperScooper
~14" deep. Bzzzzzt, direct view forum. :) Still, not bad for a tube.

larry
Does that TV in the picture look 14" to you?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That's not even close to 14", lmao. The article says 35 cms. Either cms is not centimeters, or it's a typo.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
LG and Samsung crack me up. They support 12 different technologies and each press release hypes whichever one they are peddling as the best of the best.

Mark

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hmm...after reading both articles, they both say 35cm...so maybe that is correct. Also it says it boasts a 30% reduction.

I'm thinking maybe the 32" which appears to be only 4" deep may only be that thin at the edges...and might have a "bump" in the back that we can't see from the angle of the picture...similar to the bump on the 21" model.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Exactly,

The silver one on the left is their "Production 21" model 4:3

& the gold colored one on the right is their 32" Widescreen Prototype.

They are clearly calling this 35 cm depth...

"To be launched is the company's prototype Cybertube+SuperSlim 32" widescreen CPT that boasts of a 30 percent depth reduction. It measures only 35 cms from front to back and features a glass envelope that has a significantly shallower profile. LG.Philips Displays, the world's No. 1 cathode ray tube (CRT) display provider, will also present the new SuperSlim 21" Real Flat with the same depth of 35 cm as the 32" prototype."

Which a 30% reduction in depth means they are going from approx 20" to 14".

It seems to make sense, that way.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I find it amazing that she made that from one big piece of balsa wood.

Beats the hell outta the Frankenstein model I put together as a kid....

elvis

·
23,032 Posts
I can't believe nobody here has seen a CRT picture tube. The deepest

part is in the center. Where in those pics do you see the back/center

of the display? They may have some new tech, but I wouldn't think they

would show the pics and then make it 14" square in depth.

Also, there's no way of telling if those pics contain

the actual tube/display.

larry

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.