AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I recently joined this forum and for a while i was visiting another forum who were 90% Panasonic enthusiast so its nice to be here where its a little more leveled. Now we all know no TV is perfect and each make/model has its own issues. From Panny's blacks to Sammy's buzz.. My question is that I havent really heard much from LG (the other forum usually told people to stay away from them) but are there LG specific issues like the other ones? I'm in a debate btw VT25 and C7000 and Id like to throw LG in the mix if I can.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
From everything I hear, LG are notorious for image retention. Its not a burn it but it stays for a while. I'm not sure about the new ones.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy1104 /forum/post/18313495

Feel free to join our growing thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1226858

I just read through the entire thread.. It sounds like LG is a good contender especially with their prices, except I really hope they improved on the 09 issues which i believe are:

Bad IR

Phosphor trailing

Motion

Can someone with a new 2010 or 2009 LG comment on the above issues?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The reason it isn't more "leveled" is simple.

1) In reliability, LG is a distant third to Panasonic and Samsung.

2) In reviews, LG is a distant third to Panasonic and Samsung.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/18314453

The reason it isn't more "leveled" is simple.

1) In reliability, LG is a distant third to Panasonic and Samsung.

2) In reviews, LG is a distant third to Panasonic and Samsung.

So in those two aspects its not worth it?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
If you're looking at something more full featured like the PS60 or 80 then you know what the deal is. It is all about what you perceive as value since LG is the value brand. As such they do not provide the best blacks, processing or color accuracy but what they offer for the money when in your home and away from comparison sets is still very good. The higher models offer a very full featured User Menu with excellent PQ tweaking. So then, do you downsize and get a better rep set or upsize and get the bigger screen and their 'not best in class' rep and still pay less? It's a personal choice.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a 2008 42Pg20. I bought it knowing it was an entry level unit. I have had NO problems with mine. There is some very mild IR but it goes away quickly. The black levels are not as dark as others, but it's an entry level plasma. I have calibrated mine with an eye-one display meter and can say that after that, the picture is great (as an FYI, I came from a pro-calibrated Sony XBR CRT so I at least have an idea as to what a good picture looks like). Depending on the source, it can still amaze me. LG is great at giving one total calibration access in their user menu. I have not seen any phosphor issues or motion problems with mine.

LG seems to get a bad rap around here. Some of it deserving, some just BS. I am looking at the 2010 lineup also. The 750 and 950 series to be exact. I hope LG has addressed the IR issue and improved on the black level. Guess we'll find out soon enough as these units become more availible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/18314630

If you're looking at something more full featured like the PS60 or 80 then you know what the deal is. It is all about what you perceive as value since LG is the value brand. As such they do not provide the best blacks, processing or color accuracy but what they offer for the money when in your home and away from comparison sets is still very good. The higher models offer a very full featured User Menu with excellent PQ tweaking. So then, do you downsize and get a better rep set or upsize and get the bigger screen and their 'not best in class' rep and still pay less? It's a personal choice.

I hear that... As far as screen size I'm sticking with a 50 incher and no matter what brand I pick, I'm looking into their high-end offerings. I just want the best TV I can afford and one that will last me a few years w/o me hitting my self over the head down the road for not getting a "better set"

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've owned a 42 inch LG plasma for 3 years now and have no problems and I've been pleased with the performance. No problems when it comes to IR, motion, or the other problems suggested.

I'm currently looking for another one and the 2010 models look very good. I don't really see LG as a "value brand" but that's just my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts