AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1697 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
It's 7 months later so thought I'd just add what I think some of the selections are for folks trying to figure it out until Portrait posts a video. Note this is for the R4 Beta that has the Projector workflow.

Note: If you have an HU810p you will have to go into the service menu for the TV to activate the auto cal. See here for what to do once you are in the SM. As for getting into the SM, it's like any LG OLED just google it.

Some opening selections...

Obviously here you'd pick the LG workflow, then select LG Projector, then HDR or SDR accordingly.

Font Technology Electric blue Multimedia Darkness

Depending on whether you use SDR or HDR, make sure you run the appropriate file in the USB drive that you can download from Portrait:

Note: For HDR, take the 1 hour HDR file and join it say 10 times using MP4Joiner, as the last thing you want is for the file to end in the middle of a calibration.

Under session set up make sure you make this selection:

Font Screenshot Software Technology Rectangle

On this screen you'll select your gamma target (for HDR leave as default).

If you're doing HDR, make sure you adjust your color space in the window below:

Font Screenshot Software Rectangle Technology

Below is what you'll select when you get to Find Display (make sure you pick the right one):

Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Rectangle

Choose whichever display mode you are calibrating in the drop down, then do a DDC reset on it. Also a good idea before this to "reset" the picture mode settings on the PJ, then go in and make sure Adaptive Brightness, Dynamic Contrast, Dynamic Tone Mapping (for HDR modes) and all other PJ selections are "off" before you calibrate

... check to make sure these are unchecked before you start your calibration or it will take forever.

Font Screenshot Electronic device Software Rectangle

When doing greyscale, there is only one selection which for SDR is the 26 pt 16-255 PJ greyscale (not the rolling one). For HDR it's the same thing (except it is 20pt), there is only the one that has PJ in it.

For Colorspace calibration, 9pt takes about 30-45 minutes, 13 pt 60-90, 17 pt about 3 hours, 21 pt some 6+ hours. More is better. For longer ones, recommended to use an ethernet cable from the Projector directly into the laptop, and make sure you've turned off all timer/sleep functions on the PJ and laptop.

For HDR tone mapping choices, maybe this video will help. I'm personally starting to feel that HDR is a lost cause on this PJ. Current thinking is to take the luminance reading you get, and multiply it either by 2 or 4 and insert it there. Then put all rolloffs to 0.

Other comments:

- we don't have much insight into window size, or APL or pattern % so right now I suggest you just leave window size at 50% and pattern/apl at 18% until we actually get some guidance here

- for meter mode, again, not sure, I would assume Front projection? I have a profiled meter so not relevant in my case. Believe @woody350 suggests PFS Phospor, but again, we're just guessing.

- Not sure when you are supposed to set brightness/contrast since one you do a DDC reset, it will reset them to default values.

- in general, it's a good idea to reset the picture mode before you start a calibration, and make sure to turn off Dynamic Contrast, Adaptive Brightness and Dynamic tone Mapping

- if you're doing more than 1 calibration in a row, good idea to shut down Calman, turn the PJ off (maybe even unplug it ... after you have turned it off and the fans have shut down!), and start fresh

Look at the Portrait Youtube videos on calibrating LG OLED HDR and SDR videos a few times to better understand how the software works. Also, read this Guide.

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Really happy to see this dedicated space.

I have been fighting with my setup for a while and don't get pleasing results. After a seemingly successful SD calibration where Calman showed very good post calibration results I noticed that the picture was definitely off. I started to blame my i1 Display Pro for that and since then I have been on a journey getting a i1Pro2 to profile the i1D3. However even with that it turns out it's not quite satisfying. So my most recent idea was to generate a 3x3 matrix in some other software (like HCFR or DisplayCal) and manually import that profile into Calman. Reason is that the Agryll Drivers support 3nm mode whereas the the original drivers used in Calman only support 10nm mode. I was hoping that this would improve accuracy of my I1D3 and hopefully solve the issues. Of course this is just speculation at this point but I don't have and can't afford any more accurate meter... Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any instructions on how to create the data for a 3x3 matrix in any of the other programs so I could use it in Calman. Any suggestions on that?

Otherwise if the i1D3 is accurate enough, maybe something in the workflow or software (either Proj. or Calman) is broken? I have noticed some other people experiencing similar issues on a German forum, too. Looking forward to a dedicated PJ workflow for sure...

Last but not least it seems the LG pattern gen is somewhat limited for HDR so that a pre- post check is not available. Is there any pattern Gen alternative that would avoid that issue? I tried MobileForge but not sure it is accurate enough on a FireTV Cube. Would it work for HDR anyways? PCgen also has limitation wrt HDR and would need an external HDfury for putting into HDR mode... Any other options?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Really happy to see this dedicated space.

I have been fighting with my setup for a while and don't get pleasing results. After a seemingly successful SD calibration where Calman showed very good post calibration results I noticed that the picture was definitely off. I started to blame my i1 Display Pro for that and since then I have been on a journey getting a i1Pro2 to profile the i1D3. However even with that it turns out it's not quite satisfying. So my most recent idea was to generate a 3x3 matrix in some other software (like HCFR or DisplayCal) and manually import that profile into Calman. Reason is that the Agryll Drivers support 3nm mode whereas the the original drivers used in Calman only support 10nm mode. I was hoping that this would improve accuracy of my I1D3 and hopefully solve the issues. Of course this is just speculation at this point but I don't have and can't afford any more accurate meter... Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any instructions on how to create the data for a 3x3 matrix in any of the other programs so I could use it in Calman. Any suggestions on that?

Otherwise if the i1D3 is accurate enough, maybe something in the workflow or software (either Proj. or Calman) is broken? I have noticed some other people experiencing similar issues on a German forum, too. Looking forward to a dedicated PJ workflow for sure...

Last but not least it seems the LG pattern gen is somewhat limited for HDR so that a pre- post check is not available. Is there any pattern Gen alternative that would avoid that issue? I tried MobileForge but not sure it is accurate enough on a FireTV Cube. Would it work for HDR anyways? PCgen also has limitation wrt HDR and would need an external HDfury for putting into HDR mode... Any other options?
Doesn't HCFR create a 3x3 when it profiles a meter? E.g., I had a calibrator profile my Display 3 against his Minolta (in Calman which now just doesn't work for me), and then a forum member created that 3x3 file for me for use in HCFR, so I assume when HCFR calibrates a meter it provides a 3x3? Or is there no meter profiling option in it?

Pre calibration patterns per Tyler don't exist in the LG projector. But why not just use some downloadable HDR patterns and run a pre/post in HCFR after running Calman?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
the luminance controls do not work in the CMS.
I noticed the same thing, actually I was struggling with saturation/tint/lightness on several of the colors. Something seems wonky about the CMS in this thing (and probably many TV's for that matter!). The last time I tried, the CMS adjustments only showed an impact after having to go to extremes, so just decided not to.

Maybe it is because the basic meter I'm using even though it's profiled, doesn't read colors well enough from 4 or so feet away?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
the luminance controls do not work in the CMS.
Greg - while youre here, I'm curious, what did you use for patterns for the odd code values the PJ uses in HDR? Ie., do you know what IRE's these correspond to?

22pt HDR Code Values: 1023, 719, 704, 687, 672, 656, 640, 624, 609, 592, 577, 561, 545, 529, 513, 497, 464, 429, 359, 324, 289, 254.

·
Registered
964 Posts
i never do 10-20 point adjustments for HDR, as it is only asking for trouble.

IMO, this is a data grade projector that is using the LG flat panel menus as an interface, I was not too impressed with its performance, part of the reason was the screen size I was working with and the lack of proper room colors (and an acoustically transparent screen with a white wall behind it).

I am looking forward to hearing more about the auto cal functions with CalMan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I noticed the same thing, actually I was struggling with saturation/tint/lightness on several of the colors. Something seems wonky about the CMS in this thing (and probably many TV's for that matter!). The last time I tried, the CMS adjustments only showed an impact after having to go to extremes, so just decided not to.

Maybe it is because the basic meter I'm using even though it's profiled, doesn't read colors well enough from 4 or so feet away?
Good, but not good. I also noticed the Luminance controls do nothing. I'm doing grayscale calibrations only as my attempts to calibrate CMS made things worse, even though my sweeps in Calman show "more colour accuracy".

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Greg - while youre here, I'm curious, what did you use for patterns for the odd code values the PJ uses in HDR? Ie., do you know what IRE's these correspond to?

22pt HDR Code Values: 1023, 719, 704, 687, 672, 656, 640, 624, 609, 592, 577, 561, 545, 529, 513, 497, 464, 429, 359, 324, 289, 254.
HDR code values don't really correspond to IRE as that is a measurement from SDR analog video days and is a reference to voltage.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
HDR code values don't really correspond to IRE as that is a measurement from SDR analog video days and is a reference to voltage.
Aren't code values in all the LG OLED's now too? I.e., I thought I read somewhere that folks had corresponding patterns for each code value, maybe the Masciola (sp.) thread?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Yes, they are. It's "IRE" that doesn't apply...
Ah, I just though it would be "97.5% IRE" vs 100 sort of thing, but guess IRE is more specific..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nice! Looking forward for your findings Tyler. Thanks for getting in touch with me.

So... having struggling in SDR, I've skipped SDR calibration and jump to HDR. SUPRISINGLY when doing autocal for greyscale, it seems very ok. went on pretty smoothly. BUT when comes to colors, man its just so way off the chart. i could have took a pic but its ok, I can take one later and document it down later

Say...do you guys checked the Full field pattern insertion box under Application Measurement Option?

·
Registered
215 Posts
1. Will the calman software be able to adjust for colour temperature? Or we can only use cool, medium and warm before starting calibration?
It seems to only does grayscale and colour but doesn’t get the temperature right

2. Will the software be able to generate white and black patter, read it from the meter, check on the graph to see what color is too high or too low, and adjust the White Balance accordingly to make it almost perfect near D65 and black. You know like calibrating sound by using a meter to do Freq sweep and correct it based on return graph using the mic.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I didn’t encounter any issues with calibrating my AU810PB, it was smooth sailing

LLDV from Netflix below, pictures look fantastic post calibration on a 135” AT screen

Absolutely stunning, jaw dropping stuff.

The dynamic tone mapping is first class on this PJ … check out the Tone mapping

The one below here instead , is the default filmmaker mode in SDR

This below, instead , is the calibrated SDR expert dark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 1697 Posts