AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a LG LST 4600a HDTV receiver. It's made for Hotel purposes only, so it does not have any front display, buttons. It comes with a remote sensor but no remote control. Here is my experience about this unit.

Tuner Info:

It has a HDTV (OTA + clear QAM) + NTSC tuner. You can use it with cable to get SD + HD channels over QAM.

Remote Control:

As stated, it does not come with the remote control. Users are supposed to use a standard remote. I am using a GE universal remote. I found that 4600a takes a remote code for LG combo unit, usually TV+ VCR combo. You can find the code for LG combo unit for your universal code and use the VCR portion of it. I tried this with Phillips universal remote control and it worked their as well. Make sure that you assign the device on remote to Sat/Cable or set top box other than VCR. On Phillips remote control, when set to VCR, it was not sending the code for "Menu" button, so the menu was not coming on the receiver.

Tuner Quality:

I also have US Digital HD receiver that I use for OTA reception. When I did the channel scan first, LG pulled in only channel 4 HD. It did not pulled in other channels. I was surprised at that because it uses 4th gen tuner. I ran the channel search again and it pulled all the channels that USDTV box pulled in. The reception quality so far is very good, no voice drops etc. I get the voice drops on USDTV box but I am using the old firmware. This problem is resolved in the new firmware.

One difference with USDTV is about the program guide and time. USDTV shows nice program guide, LG lacks this feature. Also, on USDTV, you can set a channel to pull the time from. You don't need to set time.

Preferences:

Aspect ratio - default is set to "wide". This will expand a 4:3 picture to 16:9. I set it to "Normal" and it pillarboxed the 4:3 material nicely.

Video and other settings: To change the video output settings like 1080i, 720p, 480i/p and other settings etc, you will need the installers remote control. You will not be able to change the settings without that.

I did not find any user manuals at LG site, but found these at Link A quick reverse lookup showed that this site is registered under Zenithnet. These manuals are quite helpful.

That's the info so far. I think its a good quality and cheap receiver if you see the recent auctions. Make sure that it comes with the remote sensor though, cause without that, there is no way you can make it work.

· Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well. I think once you program the universal remote, its up and running. The major part is to get a remote working with it. But given the lack of info on this receiver, I won't blame anyone considering it as a hassle.

Found one more info. Zenith CL014 remote supposedly works with 4600A.

· Registered
8 Posts
I purchased one of these on ebay and have a Harmony remote, for which I was able to download specific remote codes.

Upon hooking it up, I had no signal for any of the outputs. Wrote seller and he sent me another. The second box outputs a signal from both VGA and component but the message on screen is "No signal." It's currently hooked up to our cable service which I know is broadcasting (since the LCD TV picks up both clear QAM HD and SD channels).

The unit was supplied with a remote sensor (which looked new) but doesn't show any signs of reacting to the Harmony remote, no matter the button pressed.

I'm a little lost on how I should diagnose. I've gone to the ftp site you linked (well done!) and would follow the standard service procedures if I only had a scope!

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be most appreciated.

jps

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

I'm in the control system business and, as an executive, have little opportunity to screw around. If I can screw around at home and learn something about how STBs and cable, OTA broadcasts work (or don't), I can use that as context at work.

If I were asking you how to get out of trouble if in the weeds on a lovely par 5, I expect you'd tell me to play in the fairway. Not timely advice.

I know you think it's a waste of time, you've made that clear. I like to play and I may benefit from the experience...

jps

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, I've looked through both and I'm suspecting either the remote, the sensor or the sensor circuit is at fault. Don't know if the Harmony IR codes are correct as I've had no indication from the box that it's being recognized...

I expect it's the simplest of those items, likely the remote. I'm thinking of programming the Harmony for some simple Zenith or LG device to see if it'll react to anything.

jps

· Registered
84 Posts
jpscratches,

I know this post will be somewhat apples vs oranges, but hear me out.

I just bought a Samsung SIR-T451 on ebay for it's QAM capabilities. When I got it, I scanned my Time Warner Cable connection looking for the QAM channels, but didn't have any luck. I was getting a no signal like you on any channel I tried. Watching closer, the only channels the tuner found were in the 70's, 80's and 100-110. Even each of those might have a few subchannels (I saw 109-1, 109-2, up to 109-10). I was about to write it off as a dud when I decided to fire off a message to our local HDTV website in Milwaukee ( http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org ). I detailed my issue and asked if anyone in the area used a QAM tuner to pull the channels off the TWC system. Luckily the next day someone pointed me to some specific channels (just the major network's HD channels...ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). When I got home the next day, I didn't even both rescanning for channels, just went straight to the channels he told me to check. Sure enough, I could see just those channels.

What that meant to me was my QAM tuner was finding all the digital cable channels that were ENCRYPTED that I couldn't see with the cable company's box, but mixed into all those were the few UNENCRYPTED channels I COULD see. So basically you need to find the few needles in your haystack to make use of your box.

I'd suggest hunting around the AVS forums for someone in your local area (on the same cable system as you) to see if they use QAM and get some exact channels to look for. Might help you determine if your box is really broke or not.

Mike

· Registered
84 Posts
I just reread your post and realized I went down the wrong path...you're not having problems finding the channels, you're having problems getting the box to respond to your remote.

When going through the User manual I noticed on page 39 that there are 3 types of remote codes it can use: DS5, SS7 and SS6. That means nothing to me, but if you're an installer, it may mean something to you. Thing is, you may not know which set of codes the box is currently set to receive in order to make the change.

Below is the link I used to get the owners manual:
http://136.166.4.200/contents/Files/...ers_Manual.pdf

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Mike,

I'm already grabbing clear QAM with my Olevia LCD so I know what's there and where they are (although, in Seattle, Comcast keeps moving them around!!???).

I'm just playing around with having a second tuner for PIP, using it for non-hd displays, etc.

jps

· Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jps,

Make sure the IR sensor is plugged all the way in. I did not plugged it in all the way first and had difficulty using remote control.

Although I do not have first hand experience with Harmony, try a code for TV/VCR LG combo unit. That's the one working on my two universal remotes.

· Registered
8 Posts
If I shoved the IR connector in any further, it'd require a hammer.

Tried every LG related code I could find using my Onkyo universal remote and not a one of them worked.

I'm starting to think that the unit is set up to receive a different style of IR code as Mike pointed out is possible.

Anyone know how I'd emulate DS5, SS7 and SS6?

Thanks,

jps

· Registered
43 Posts
I bought two LST-4600A boxes off of eBay last summer and spent a lot of time figuring them out.

The boxes that I got did not come with the IR receiver dongle. After a few phone calls to LG one of their techs found it in their parts list. If you need one for your receiver you can call LG at 1-800-243-0000 and ask to order part # 6712000003A. They charged me $17.65 for it.

The model number for the official remote is 6710v00108d. If you do a Google or eBay search you should be able to find them. These can be ordered direct from LG as well. Here is a link to a picture of the remote. As you can see from the picture the remote has a dumbed down design with few buttons so that anyone can use it. Also notice that the remote has a zenith label on it. It turns out that the DS5 code that the LST-4600A box defaults to is a Zenith TV code not a LG set top box code like the LST-4200A. On the 'One For All'/JP1 remotes code 0017 for Zenith TV's covers most of the functions.

Since these boxes are usually installed in commercial applications such as hotels, kiosks, and electronic stores almost all the display modes and settings must be set from the installers menu. The installer's menu also allows the installer to lock the user out of most input functions. Even though the manual states that you need a special installer's remote to enter the installer's menu this is not true. All you need is a remote with the menu, enter and number buttons working. What you need to do is press the menu button until the remote stops responding (about 10x) then type in 9876 and press enter. The access code may also be set to 4321, 1478 and 3698 instead of 9876. You select the option to change by typing in the option number and pressing menu and then type in the new value and press enter. Press enter again to exit the installer's menu. All the options and values are listed in the manual which was linked to in one of the above posts (it is also available on LG's web site). Some of the important options are 102 to set ATSC/QAM (ATSC = 0 or 4, QAM = 1 or 2 or 3), 3 to set the analogue tuning (over the air = 0, cable = 1 or 2 or 3) and 105 to set the output resolution (1080i = 0, 720p = 1, 480p = 2, 480i = 3).

The LST-4600A seems to have the same functionality as the LST-4200A except for the program guide. The other difference is that the output resolutions and tuning modes (ATSC/QAM) have to be set from the installers menu which is a pain if you want to switch them often. Otherwise it is a good box and since there are no controls on the box itself you can hide it out of site and just attach the IR dongle onto your TV. In terms of sensitivity for over the air it is very good but my DVICO Fusion HDTV5 USB Gold computer tuner can bring in the weak stations more reliably. It works like a champ on QAM but it would be nice if you could label and rearrange the cable stations.

Troubleshooting/Quirks:

For some reason the LST-4600A does not seem to pick up all the stations on its first autoscan and you have to scan twice to get a complete list.

If you are not getting any output first make sure that the toggle switch on the back of the box is set correctly. If set to the left the box will output on composite and component. If set to the right it will output on RGB and DVI. Also all the output connections can be individually enabled/disabled in the installers menu. Next make sure that the output mode and tuning mode is set correctly in the installers menu.

Do not change the IR code from DS5. I have not found any remote codes that work with the SS7 and SS6 IR code settings and you risk making your box into an unresponsive door stop.

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the great advice. I've tried the Zenith codes for TV and I'm still getting nothing. I'm pretty sure it's either the sensor or the box's IR circuit. Doesn't react to anything. If I recall correctly, the sensor came out of sealed plastic so I'm thinking it was new. Doesn't mean it isn't defective but all evidence points towards the box at this point.

The unit does produce an image with a green bar at the bottom and "no signal" after attempting to find 3.1. Among the 20 IR code sets I've tried, not one has caused a reaction, including Zenith 0017.

Have you ever taken the cover off? I noticed two LEDs that blink while the box is booting. I think one is related to the tuner circuit and the other is in another part of the main board. The one closest to the tuner blinks and then goes solid, which I expect means the tuner is functioning properly-- the other keeps blinking. I'm thinking it's possible there's something amiss with the main board, more than just the IR circuit.

jps

· Registered
43 Posts
Hey jps,

I did in fact take the boxes apart. When I got the two from eBay one didn't show any output so I opened them up and tried swapping some of the circuits between the two boxes to see if it was a tuner problem. I to noticed the red lights but I don't remember how they blinked. My tinkering didn't end up fixing anything so I sent the non-working one for a replacement which worked fine. Maybe later I can take a look at my unit to see what the lights are doing (I have the box in a hard to reach spot so it is a bit of pain to get to).

I know that if the box is set to DS5 the 0017 code works with JP1 remotes (I am customizing my One for All 8820 remote for the LST-4600A right now). Since you said you tried 0017 does that mean you have a JP1 remote as well or does the Harmony use the same codes? It is possible that the IR is set to another mode. For example this is quoted from the manual:
Quote:
20 FEATURE LEVEL

Default set to 1 for LG IR Remote Control operation. Set

0, PLBL for LG Private Label IR Remote Control operation.

Set to 2 for NEC IR Remote Control operation.

Warning: Do not set to 0 or Remote will not control the

Integrator Box.

So this means it is possible to set the box so IR is disabled all together. If you look at the end of the manual you will see that is possible to control and program the box through the M.P.I. Input Port (the one that looks like a telephone jack) on back. Maybe your box was configured in this way.

Also when testing remote codes do not use the power button since it sounds like your box is set to turn on when it's plugged in (you said that the screen displays the words no signal). In this mode the power button does nothing. Volume and channel buttons can also be disabled. The menu button should always work.

Have you tried hooking your box up to an antenna just in case it is set to ATSC instead of QAM. This won't help you with your IR problem but may tell you if the box is working.

On last thing that I can think of is do you have the proper IR connector. Mine is black, U shaped when you look at it from the top, 1.25 inches wide, and has a small arrow engraved on the top pointing to the cable end. I tried other IR receivers and none worked except for the LG.

I hope you can get it working or you will have to see if you can get it exchanged again.

Mark

· Registered
114 Posts
Mark & JPS

I read your posts with great interest as I also got one of these from ebay. No remote or remote sensor. I got the Installers remote from LG for $26.43 shipped and the remote sensor was another $19 or so. I did not have too much problem getting into the installers menu to do some of the changes you mentioned Mark. I have Cox cable here in LA but after channel scan and the channel numbers came up I still could not bring in a picture! Asignment of the out puts is easy from SOURCE on remote, I've had this box hooked to my Sony 1272 and Toshiba RPTV and 20" direct view with Cable and indoor basic antenna BUT STILL NO PICTURE!

Any ideas?

· Registered
43 Posts
PMAN

Hmmm. Ok just so I understand what you are saying. You can see output from the box since you said you got into the installers menu so I assume you can at least see the interface but no video? When you had it hooked up to an antenna did the scan pick up some stations but you still did not get any video? No sound either? Does the box let you tune to the channels it found in the scan?

I guess the first thing I would do is to try to tune some analogue stations from your cable or antenna. Since this box has a NTSC tuner this should work. You can even try feeding it a cable from an old school VCR that broadcasts on channel 3 and see if it can at least pick up that signal.

As I mentioned in my other post try playing around with the tuner modulation options 3 (for analogue/NTSC) and 102 (for digital/ATSC) in the installers menu. A value of 0 is for antenna and 1,2,3 are the various modulation types that cable companies use. Also I noticed that some of the installer menu options do not take effect until you exit the menu and turn on/off the box.

Other installer menu options that may be causing problems for you are 5 channel lock (should be set to 0, if set to 1 then channels can't be changed) and 28 channel override (should be set to 1, if set to 0 then only channels in the favorites list can be tuned). As a last resort you can try setting option 113, factory default, to 1 (This should reset the box but I have never tried this myself so I don't exactly know what state it will end up in).

One other thing that may give you a black screen with no video is if the cable channel is scrambled. There can be a large ranges of cable channels that will scan and tune but you won't get any picture because the are scrambled specialty channels.

Good luck,

Mark

· Registered
1,059 Posts
I bought one of these and got it in the mail on Saturday. Thanks to me seeing this thread on Friday, I was able to setup this box in about 30 minutes. Works perfectly with my JP1 one for all remote with #17 code for TV. The only button that's missing is surf. I might try some other zenith codes to see if I can get surf.

I'm actually using this below a counter in my Kitchen to run a 17" Widescreen 720P Westinghouse monitor. I modulate one of my HR20's via channel 3 through my house, so I set this box up to have analog channel 3 and all of OTA digitals from my external antennae. Works great. I had a Voom receiver hooked to this TV before, but the Voom wouldn't do analog. The only hurdle I've hit so far is my 17" monitor wasn't DHCP compliant so I couldn't use the DVI connector. I ended up using the VGA, and it works fine. Anyone know how to disable DHCP via DVI on the 4600A?

I have a few station that I have multi path issues with. This tuner does better than any other tuner I have at tuning those stations.

· Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T /forum/post/0

Works perfectly with my JP1 one for all remote with #17 code for TV. The only button that's missing is surf. I might try some other zenith codes to see if I can get surf.

I was never able to get the code for the surf button. I tried all the possible button codes that can be represented in the #17 code by programming the remote from my computer but none of them are surf. I tried a bunch of other codes on the JP1 and on a Pronto without success.

· Registered
7,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgrayber /forum/post/0

I just got my 4600 setup. I ended up using a Zeneith cable box remote code.

What remote are you using and what code B? I have a 4600 I can't get to turn on with the URC6131 and TV code 0017.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.