AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my understanding the Sony AE1 has an LG panel. I also understand the outstanding AE1’s picture can be had at a lower price by purchasing an LG 4K television. Which LG’s are as good as the Sony AE1? The preferred sized is 65 inch.

Reactions: mr. wally

·
Registered
15,306 Posts
Yes, the Sony OLED uses LG panels. All LG models have the same exact PQ - they only differ by the built-in speakers and cosmetics, so any of the 65" LG OLEDs would be fine for you. The 65B7A and 65C7P are the least expensive and best value.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
It is my understanding the Sony AE1 has an LG panel. I also understand the outstanding AE1’s picture can be had at a lower price by purchasing an LG 4K television. Which LG’s are as good as the Sony AE1? The preferred sized is 65 inch.
If you feed excellent source material, they ought to look very similar. With lower quality source material, the Sony has somewhat better processing of the input before it gets to the screen (motion, smoothing of color bands, etc). Whether that better processing justifies the higher price is a personal decision. That processing also makes the Sony have a bit higher input lag, which might be a problem for some gamers. For people that want absolute calibrated reference color on their screen, LG has a more advanced color management system that should allow for better professional calibration than the Sony. That is to say Sony doesn't give you a CMS, just a 2 and 10 point adjustment.

And yes every 7 series LG looks the same. Some have better speakers than others or more impressive physical look to them, but the image is the same.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you feed excellent source material, they ought to look very similar. With lower quality source material, the Sony has somewhat better processing of the input before it gets to the screen (motion, smoothing of color bands, etc). Whether that better processing justifies the higher price is a personal decision. That processing also makes the Sony have a bit higher input lag, which might be a problem for some gamers. For people that want absolute calibrated reference color on their screen, LG has a more advanced color management system that should allow for better professional calibration than the Sony. That is to say Sony doesn't give you a CMS, just a 2 and 10 point adjustment.

And yes every 7 series LG looks the same. Some have better speakers than others or more impressive physical look to them, but the image is the same.

if you're watching sports or anything fast moving the sony is miles ahead.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've also seen someone say they saw the dreaded 'soap opera effect' in 'Godless' when watching it on LG. I only saw glimpses of it on Sony when I was in Standard mode. As soon as I switched to 'Cinema Pro' it looked just the way a movie should look. Sony seems better at handling motion.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sony also uses the Android TV OS for its internal apps, while LG uses WebOS. The SOC that Sony uses to run its OS is considered slow/laggy compared to WebOS, if the TV-based apps are important to you.

scott s.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sony has significantly better image processing than LG. This matters a lot if you watch poorly compressed sources, such as cable TV. Sony's supposed to have better motion handling as well. But if you're watching something like a 4K HDR stream off of an Apple TV 4K, I doubt you could really see a difference.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Sony also uses the Android TV OS for its internal apps, while LG uses WebOS. The SOC that Sony uses to run its OS is considered slow/laggy compared to WebOS, if the TV-based apps are important to you.

scott s.
Yes, but as soon as you are playing something, the slowness is irrelevant. So yes the menus are a bit slow, but how much time are you planning to spend there? Other than being a bit slow on the menus, it really works.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
If you're on a budget, get the LG B7 or C7.

If you want the best oled currently available in U.S., get the Sony

The differences are small, but they're there.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
Both are great sets, but is the a1e worth that much more...no. I would say save your money get the LG...the differences are like splitting hairs..

·
Registered
557 Posts
I ruled out the sony due to the tilting stand .. no way I could accept that design of the panel tilting back .. I think they'll dump that idea for the 2018 panels.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Both are great sets, but is the a1e worth that much more...no. I would say save your money get the LG...the differences are like splitting hairs..

yes it is .. the only reason someone would purchase the LG is if price was their only concern.

Side x Side there is no comparison with anything fast moving. Its as obvious as comparing the 2nd gen lcd panels with horrible lag/ghosting to todays LEDs.

as far as the weird stand (which I agree) .. I haven't used a surface mount on a tv in a decade... so to each is their own.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
yes it is .. the only reason someone would purchase the LG is if price was their only concern.

Side x Side there is no comparison with anything fast moving. Its as obvious as comparing the 2nd gen lcd panels with horrible lag/ghosting to todays LEDs.

as far as the weird stand (which I agree) .. I haven't used a surface mount on a tv in a decade... so to each is their own.
Motion is very subjective, coming from plasma I've really not seen anything that says to me that motion sucks on the lg...however I'll concede a lot of members do say it's better on the A1E, but imo that still doesn't account for the price difference, hence the LG is the better buy.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for the information.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Motion is very subjective, coming from plasma I've really not seen anything that says to me that motion sucks on the lg...however I'll concede a lot of members do say it's better on the A1E, but imo that still doesn't account for the price difference, hence the LG is the better buy.
motion isn't subjective.. its a measurable difference.

Like i said... there is no comparison side by side and as you would state it "hence" the reason they are never sold side by side.

it really comes down to .. is it good enough which is ultimately based on whether or not someone wants to purchase the best tv regardless.. or one is shopping for a tv on a specific budget.

people own tv's for 5 or more years .. the price is insignificant using that time.

the only people that seem to say there is no difference are the people that purchased LG OLED branded tv's because of the above mentioned.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I ruled out the sony due to the tilting stand .. no way I could accept that design of the panel tilting back .. I think they'll dump that idea for the 2018 panels.
It is totally not noticeable while watching it and it looks much prettier than those ugly stands on the LGs. :)

The lean back angle (5 degrees) is less than the sideways angle of most viewing positions you could reasonable have unless you always watch alone.

And you can wall mount it if you want to in which case it isn't angled at all (unless you make your mount do it on purpose).

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
^^^well I'm going to have to disagree with ya...nothing to do with because I own an LG...assuming you own the sony...then both our opinions are biased...but hate to break it to you...almost every review has the LG above the sony...but again were splitting hairs..and motion is most definitely subjective.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
^^^well I'm going to have to disagree with ya...nothing to do with because I own an LG...assuming you own the sony...then both our opinions are biased...but hate to break it to you...almost every review has the LG above the sony...but again were splitting hairs..and motion is most definitely subjective.
There are certainly reviews putting the LG ahead of the Sony. The price difference alone helps LG a lot. I have not seen any review that would put the LG ahead of the Sony in motion handling however. Is it enough better to justify the price difference and giving up the CMS? Clearly for most buyers the answer is no, and LG outsells Sony by a very large amount (and rightly they should, the LG is clearly better value for an excellent TV).

Of course if value was all that mattered to buyers, no 77" OLED displays would be sold by anyone. But a few are sold at prices that boggle the mind, and in the same way Sony sells a decent number of A1Es although not compared to how the B7/C7 is selling of course.

I nearly bought a B6 last year, but I just wasn't convinced and didn't like a lot of what I was reading about it. I am glad I waited another half a year. Of course had I waited another 3 or 4 months I could have saved almost 1/3 of the price I paid, but that would have been those months of not enjoying the TV.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are certainly reviews putting the LG ahead of the Sony. The price difference alone helps LG a lot. I have not seen any review that would put the LG ahead of the Sony in motion handling however. Is it enough better to justify the price difference and giving up the CMS? Clearly for most buyers the answer is no, and LG outsells Sony by a very large amount (and rightly they should, the LG is clearly better value for an excellent TV).

Of course if value was all that mattered to buyers, no 77" OLED displays would be sold by anyone. But a few are sold at prices that boggle the mind, and in the same way Sony sells a decent number of A1Es although not compared to how the B7/C7 is selling of course.

I nearly bought a B6 last year, but I just wasn't convinced and didn't like a lot of what I was reading about it. I am glad I waited another half a year. Of course had I waited another 3 or 4 months I could have saved almost 1/3 of the price I paid, but that would have been those months of not enjoying the TV.
Which do you recommend, the B7 or C7? The prices are only $100 apart for the 65”.

Reactions: Cam1977
1 - 20 of 32 Posts