AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the LG UH8500 3d tv. The problem is that any 3d content from any source is not displaying correctly. Sitting directly in front of the TV level with it, the top half of the screen looks fine, but the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 is completely out of focus as if you weren't wearing glasses at all. If you stand up it transitions and the bottom looks fine and the top is messed up. At no point in the transition is the entire picture the way it should look. The MB has been replaced as has the TC? board(not sure if thats exactly what its called). None of this has fixed the problem, and LG refuses to do anymore saying its a distance/eye level problem. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this that would be fixable? I bought this TV exclusively for the 3D and was led to believe that it had the best 3D available. This is my 3rd passive 3D set, I own a vizio 55 inch right now, and the 3d on it is really good. I've uploaded 2 photos that give an idea of the problem. I took them through one lens of the glasses. It should appear as just a regular picture, but as you can (hopefully) see, half of the screen is not displayed correctly. I would really appreciate input on this, as this has really been driving me crazy. Thanks in advance.

Sgtmckay

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sitting directly in front of the TV level with it
3D doesn't work "sitting directly in front of the TV". You need to be several feet back from it.

If there is a miscommunication and you are actually sitting a normal distance, then there is almost certainly some kind of hardware fault. But this is a 2016 model...you only noticed the problem now? Or it was fine before and the problem just occurred now? Is it still under warranty?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3D doesn't work "sitting directly in front of the TV". You need to be several feet back from it.

If there is a miscommunication and you are actually sitting a normal distance, then there is almost certainly some kind of hardware fault. But this is a 2016 model...you only noticed the problem now? Or it was fine before and the problem just occurred now? Is it still under warranty?
Normal distance is 10 ft from the tv. But it doesn't matter. At any distance its the same. It's been this way since I got it, but I kept putting it off. I called LG before the warranty expired, and they are the ones who replaced the mainboard/tc board, but they refuse to do anymore. The tech who came to my house acknowledges the problem, thinks its a hardware problem, but the higher tech he called acts like its not a hardware problem and that it would be fine at 15 feet (which its not). This is not my first passive 3d tv. I have a 55 inch upstairs in my bedroom that the 3d works perfectly fine on. I have a 3d gaming monitor.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's been this way since I got it, but I kept putting it off. I called LG before the warranty expired, and they are the ones who replaced the mainboard/tc board, but they refuse to do anymore. The tech who came to my house acknowledges the problem, thinks its a hardware problem, but the higher tech he called acts like its not a hardware problem and that it would be fine at 15 feet (which its not). This is not my first passive 3d tv. I have a 55 inch upstairs in my bedroom that the 3d works perfectly fine on. I have a 3d gaming monitor.
I am not at all an expert, but it sounds to me like you have a bad panel, maybe a bad 3D filter. LG should replace the LCD panel under warranty. I would harp on them that the TV repairman agrees with you that the problem exists and that it's not a user position issue. If it is an Authorized LG Repair Shop (or a shop that LG picked), then that should be enough. If you don't get resolution, then the usual consumer complaint process will have to occur (try to talk to a manager, bump up to a higher tier support person, complain on LG's social media, contact BBB, your state's consumer advocate, etc.)

I use a credit card that extends the warranty for every purchase. If you do too, you could try that. Contact the CC about the problem and see if they will authorize reimbursement for a repair. If they will, then get the panel replaced out of pocket and have the CC reimburse you. I've done this before, it is a nice benefit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am not at all an expert, but it sounds to me like you have a bad panel, maybe a bad 3D filter. LG should replace the LCD panel under warranty. I would harp on them that the TV repairman agrees with you that the problem exists and that it's not a user position issue. If it is an Authorized LG Repair Shop (or a shop that LG picked), then that should be enough. If you don't get resolution, then the usual consumer complaint process will have to occur (try to talk to a manager, bump up to a higher tier support person, complain on LG's social media, contact BBB, your state's consumer advocate, etc.)

I use a credit card that extends the warranty for every purchase. If you do too, you could try that. Contact the CC about the problem and see if they will authorize reimbursement for a repair. If they will, then get the panel replaced out of pocket and have the CC reimburse you. I've done this before, it is a nice benefit.
Seconded. I think you got it Mr. Mango. Bad Panel or filter for sure. Big question is will they have a 3d panel to replace it with.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Big question is will they have a 3d panel to replace it with.
Good point. Over in the 2016 LG OLED thread there is already one person who was told there are no more (OLED) panels for 2016 and they honored his warranty by giving him a new model. But of course the new models don't have 3D.

But the LCDs are a lot more common. They may have panels for those still.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts