AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came across this. Hopefully they are better than last year's models.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1521792787

One with Dolby Vision, one without
The new UBK90 will replace last year’s UB970. Unlike its predecessor, UBK90 will come with Dolby Vision support from the start. It will of course also support the HDR10 base layer, which is mandatory under the UHD Blu-ray standard.

These are UHD Blu-ray players so you need a 4K TV, preferably with good HDR capabilities, to enjoy the pictures. The main difference between UBK90 and UBK80 is lack of Dolby Vision on the latter. UBK90 will have two HDMI outputs, whereas UBK80 will have only one.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Although my 4K TV only supports the HDR10 (no Dolby Vision) standard, I may still consider getting the UBK90 model later down the road if it's any good.
And I see the UBK80 is bizarrely the same as last year's UP870 model.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It looks like the pricing will be in the $300 range. B&H Photo has them on presale.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Exciting news, the 3 out right now in the mid-range DV bucket are a little disappointing it seems.

X700 (No DV until Summer)
UP970 (a lot of complaints of loud noise)
Phillips 7502 (Seems the best out of the 3, only seen minor complaints of noise, no real apps but that doesnt matter to me)

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I spotted the ubk90 at my local best buy - no price tag or a thing, so it probably just arrived in store.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just hooked it up a few minutes ago. I've got an Oppo203 in my main room and have been using the Samsung 8500 in my family room (hooked up to a LG C7P). Definite upgrade IMO. Agree with thatJohann; the UI is super simple but I'm ok with it. It'd be 10x better if the background was black.

Just popped in TLJ and watched the Praetorian Duel. PQ is fantastic IMO; that said, definitely some bias in play. I just spent a week away on a business trip watching a hotel TV.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts