AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i found a thread comparing these two, but it didnt really fit my needs.

i have the LG 42pg2, bought it on X-mas eve from BB, but the speakers are kind of screwed up and crackle on explosions.

so i called bestbuy and due to the 30 day warranty i can return it for the same tv, or a different one of the same price

as i looked through the BB website i saw the Panasonic TH-42PX80U.

I noticed the panasonic has a much higher refresh rate than the LG (480hz to 60hz) now im a TV n00b so i dont know how important that is. or if panny is just lying or something cuz that seems a little extreme

the TV will be used playing mostly videogames off my 360 and some tv/movie watching.

so what do i do? get the LG replacement, or the Panny!?!?

·
Registered
302 Posts
the 480hz deal is not a lie at all...its just most people dont know what the tv is actually doing when they say this.....it means that the screen on the panasonic is divided into 8 portions...each equal size... each portion then refreshes at 60hz....60x8=....480hz...but all in al the screen is still a 60hz display. the 480hz deal is suppose to allow smoother scenes but i dont really think it does to much to effect the picture..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis87 /forum/post/15565591

the 480hz deal is not a lie at all...its just most people dont know what the tv is actually doing when they say this.....it means that the screen on the panasonic is divided into 8 portions...each equal size... each portion then refreshes at 60hz....60x8=....480hz...but all in al the screen is still a 60hz display. the 480hz deal is suppose to allow smoother scenes but i dont really think it does to much to effect the picture..

ooh cool, nice explanation.

you go to Northern?

i live like 5 miles west of DeKalb.

·
Registered
302 Posts
yea man it was brutal goin to classes today lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis87 /forum/post/15565796

yea man it was brutal goin to classes today lol

shoosh i bet, i got the semester off then back to NIU in the fall.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
The px80 is probably the better TV overall just because the blacks are much darker and it doesn't get as much image retention.

The LG has a VGA input, more accurate color, overscan control, better scaling, and way more calibration controls...but the blacks suck.

The so-called 480hz is completely irrelevant. Both TVs are 60hz and I think that LG also uses a 480hz subfield so there's no difference in that area.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
it is a higher refresh rate but plasmas don't need to use it.

LCD's use it to cut down the time it takes to get from one frame to the next to try to lessen blur.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Yes, 120hz isn't really relevant for plasmas. They don't have "sample and hold" blur problems like LCDs do, so they don't need 120hz.

I think it's actually likely that in a year or two LCDs will also stop using 120hz once LED and backlight flashing become ubiquitous.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
120 hz is useless well plasma dont have an issue with speed therefore a plasma can have 60 hz for eample and still be faster then a 240hz lcd

lcd are just too slow compared to plasma thus motion blurr amog other things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner /forum/post/15574061

so a 120hz lcd is better than these panny plasmas then, for refresh rate?

Op the panasonic plasma is better lol blacks more resistant to Image retention and a better more reliable brand,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im bumping this again.

I got the replacement LG, and it has a messed up power button that sticks and a pixel is out.

I have to take it to Best Buy again, so now i get to mull over which TV.

so, once again, which one?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
huebs06 i already answerd your question in my quoted post..... get the panasonic jeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by huebs06 /forum/post/15625107

im bumping this again.

I got the replacement LG, and it has a messed up power button that sticks and a pixel is out.

I have to take it to Best Buy again, so now i get to mull over which TV.

so, once again, which one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 /forum/post/15577294

120 hz is useless well plasma dont have an issue with speed therefore a plasma can have 60 hz for eample and still be faster then a 240hz lcd

lcd are just too slow compared to plasma thus motion blurr amog other things.

Op the panasonic plasma is better lol blacks more resistant to Image retention and a better more reliable brand,

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis87 /forum/post/15565591

I am really suprised that xrox didnt correct you here yet. The 480hz has nothing to do with the screen being split up into 8 sections. The screen is updated at 480hz. It is showing 60 frames per second with 8 possible times for each subpixel to flash per frame. These flashes are of different lengths of time, and add up to the total brightness of the subpixel.

Every single plasma does this with varying numbers of subfields. Panny is just one of the only ones that is using it in their advertisement.

Oh yea, I love my 50pg20. I game a lot on it with no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts