* Invisible Speaker System

* Clear Voice II

* AV Mode II

* ISFccc Ready

* Smart Energy Saving

* 24p Real Cinema

* 10 Bit

http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video...-tv-32LH20.jsp

I figured I'd start this thread about the LH20 models as there isn't one where members could ask questions. I purchased the 32" unit and so far I'm pleased.

I can only compare this set to other units I've owned in the past months, which consists of recent lower-mid models from Samsung, Sony, Philips, Sharp, Vizio, and even an RCA model (I know). I'll be using this set mainly as a monitor for both my PC (VGA) and XBOX 360 (PC labeled HDMI)
I'll be more thorough with the updates once I have enough "seat time".

PQ:

Nice and detailed. Comparable to the Sony (KDL5000) and Philips (PFL6704D). Easily bests the Samsungs (A/B 4 series). From my experience, the Samsungs had a grainy picture along with a ridiculous amount of ghosting. However, the LG does have its flaw(s). Motion artifacts are visible in very fast moving scenes from my OTA signals (no cable in home office
). The problem isn't that severe, but some may find it as a deal breaker (problem could also be feed) UPDATE: I've pretty much narrowed it down to the feeds. I'm currently watching the Dew Tour on NBC with no signs of motion artifacts. No motion issues with DVD playback on the 360.

Color/Black levels:

Colors are bright and vibrant. I would have to say better than the Sony and Samsungs. Black levels are on par with the Sammys, but are without a doubt deeper than the Sony, Sharp, Vizio, and RCA.

Viewing angle:

This would have to be the sets weakest point, however, I don't have a problem with it as I'm directly in front of the unit 99% of the time. In this area, the Sony, Sammys, and Philips outperform the LG.

PC/360

I get a nice, sharp picture with VGA. I do have one gripe, however. The highest supported resolution is 1260x720. Any higher and the text becomes distorted. Other than that, no complaints. Options for backlight, brightness, contrast, sharpness, color/temp, and even gamma are there and adjustable. Lastly, the 360 displays a beautiful, crisp picture. There aren't any ghosting issues or "glowing" effects around objects (RCA).

Inputs

The set has 2 HDMI, 1 Component, 1 Composite, 1 Digital out (optical), and D-Sub 15pin inputs. Downside, it does not have side inputs nor a 3.5mm audio port.

I'm certain I have left some info out, but I'll try to remember to post tomorrow. Also, I've added some pictures from BioShock and one of my favorite movies

TV
http://i32.tinypic.com/2vjbz29.jpg

BioShock
http://i32.tinypic.com/35lujo5.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/egbdy1.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/m9bm03.jpg

40 Year Old Virgin (excuse the horizontal lines from camera)
http://i32.tinypic.com/2e4g7z4.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/2hxt1uh.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/kcj77k.jpg

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Hi there mate, thanks alot for the info, iv been doing ALOT of reading yesterday and today and out of nowhere my cousin bought an HDTV so it ticked me off buying an LCD for my bedroom too because im using an old 19' tv in my bedroom that i got from craigslist LOL
i have an LN52A650 in the living which rocks but for my bedroom i didnt buy any LCD... yet

Anyway, i read that you said you have compared it with the samsungs, did you compare it to the 32b360 and the 32b460? and the LG is better? im highly considering this LG model after all the readings i have done. it has great reviews both on best buy.com and on amazon.com aswell. i read alot of problems on the samsung models i mentioned above, regarding GHOSTING i believe.

Where is the best deal on this tv btw?

I dont know why but even with all the ghosting talk on the b460, the deal on the b460 on Buydig.com seems pretty amazing and tempting, its $498 , free shipping and no tax, and it comes with bonus cables too.

Thanks alot man, im in new york by the way.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus18 /forum/post/16998101

PC/360

I get a nice, sharp picture with VGA. I do have one gripe, however. The highest supported resolution is 1260x720. Any higher and the text becomes distorted. Other than that, no complaints. Options for backlight, brightness, contrast, sharpness, color/temp, and even gamma are there and adjustable. Lastly, the 360 displays a beautiful, crisp picture. There aren't any ghosting issues or "glowing" effects around objects (RCA).

- Your TV's native resolution is 1366 x 768. You should be able to set that resolution with the PC and Xbox360.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/17007332

Hi there mate, thanks alot for the info, iv been doing ALOT of reading yesterday and today and out of nowhere my cousin bought an HDTV so it ticked me off buying an LCD for my bedroom too because im using an old 19' tv in my bedroom that i got from craigslist LOL
i have an LN52A650 in the living which rocks but for my bedroom i didnt buy any LCD... yet

Anyway, i read that you said you have compared it with the samsungs, did you compare it to the 32b360 and the 32b460? and the LG is better? im highly considering this LG model after all the readings i have done. it has great reviews both on best buy.com and on amazon.com aswell. i read alot of problems on the samsung models i mentioned above, regarding GHOSTING i believe.

Where is the best deal on this tv btw?

I dont know why but even with all the ghosting talk on the b460, the deal on the b460 on Buydig.com seems pretty amazing and tempting, its $498 , free shipping and no tax, and it comes with bonus cables too.

Thanks alot man, im in new york by the way.

The LG was compared to the Samsung A/B 450/460 series and was without a doubt, IMO, a better choice than the Sammys. Ghosting was easily detectable on both Sammy sets. At my local BB, the LG was about $20 cheaper than you quoted for the Sammy at buydig.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/17008374

- Your TV's native resolution is 1366 x 768. You should be able to set that resolution with the PC and Xbox360.

Unfortunately, that does not hold true for this set through VGA. The highest resolution possible is 1280x720. Again, any higher and the text becomes distorted. For the 360, I have no doubt its showing a native 1366x768, but the only options in the display settings on the 360 using HDMI is 480p, 720p, and 1080p.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus18 /forum/post/17009455

The LG was compared to the Samsung A/B 450/460 series and was without a doubt, IMO, a better choice than the Sammys. Ghosting was easily detectable on both Sammy sets. At my local BB, the LG was about $20 cheaper than you quoted for the Sammy at buydig.com

Unfortunately, that does not hold true for this set through VGA. The highest resolution possible is 1280x720. Again, any higher and the text becomes distorted. For the 360, I have no doubt its showing a native 1366x768, but the only options in the display settings on the 360 using HDMI is 480p, 720p, and 1080p.

Are you sure man? i was in best buy today and i saw the LG and the Samsung 460 side by side but the samsung looked alot better in all aspects than the LG man, color wise the LG looked dull. i didnt see any ghosting on the samsung, i can get the samsung for $499 SHIPPED and No tax which is think is one hell of a deal.

What do you like about the LG so much?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/17010287

Are you sure man? i was in best buy today and i saw the LG and the Samsung 460 side by side but the samsung looked alot better in all aspects than the LG man, color wise the LG looked dull. i didnt see any ghosting on the samsung, i can get the samsung for $499 SHIPPED and No tax which is think is one hell of a deal.

What do you like about the LG so much?

You will have to make side-by-side comparisons with the sets somewhat calibrated and in lighting similar to your home environment to make an educated decision. When I did, LG came out on top.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/17010621

btw, what is with all the talk about ghosting on the samsung? is it really serious ?

Also when you compared, between the SAMSUNGS, the b360 and the b460, which one was better , the b460 right?

I was able to pick up the ghosting issue almost instantly. Of course, since I was looking for it, it might have been easier to spot. However, some owners state they can't see the problem and some may just think it is normal/motion blur.

I haven't tested the B360, only the A450 and B460.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A brief update regarding a feature on this set. The "Picture Wizard" is pretty darn accurate for basic picture settings. Unlike the "wizard" gimmick found on the Philips set (which is utterly useless), this tool is helpful in setting the color, tint, contrast, and brightness. I still had to fine tune it (gamma, black level, color gamut, etc.), however this wizard was a perfect way to achieve a starting point.

I've been so impressed by this LG set, that I have decided to upgrade from the LH20 to the LH30. So I'll be taking a trip this weekend

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For those who have this set, could you verify the panel type by following these instrcutions:

1. Hold "Enter" on both the TV and remote for two or three seconds

2. Enter "0000" when the password box appears

3. Press "Enter" or the directional right button on the first option, "Tool option 1"

4. Report back the panel type that is listed next to "Maker"

I picked up the 32lh20 (May 09 build date) as a Christmas present, but I was disappointed to find out that LG also uses AUO panels in the lh20 series. I'll be returning it in attempt to find an LGD panel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i got a 32lh20 yesterday and have spent a few hours watching tv and playing some games on it. the first thing i tested was how bad the input lag was in 480i without game mode on; i wanted to know how this tv did at it's worst. my first reaction was that even with these settings it had no lag, or at least none that i could easily detect. after playing a while i did notice that performing certain actions did feel slightly off, for instance, running full speed in one direction and then trying to U-turn with your character did feel a little sluggish.

putting the wii into 480p and turning game mode on completely eliminated that subtle delay and now i honestly can't tell the difference between this tv and a crt, and i'm a life-long gaming nerd for what it's worth. i'm very happy with the lag time; it's fast enough for you to ditch game mode and keep the image processing on even with 480i systems, with only a negligible amount of lag.

aside from the speed, the tv looks and feels extremely well built. i was expecting flimsy plastic but instead it's very solid feeling. the picture is great, and seeing it in the store beside a samsung really drove home the point that the LG is a very realistic and natural looking tv. the samsungs look more vibrant and deep, but in a way that's clearly exaggerated and that artificial depth would get annoying after a while. this is not a tv designed around looking flashiest in the store, but instead looking good at home.

the speakers are just as terrible as i'd read in reviews but at least there's no lip-sync issues. i've been running the audio from my movies and games directly into my stereo for better sound, but for tv broadcasts there's nothing i can do (no analog out).

aside from the speakers and lack of inputs and outputs, i really have nothing bad to say so far. i was considering a panasonic tc-l32x1, even though it's generally regarded as having a worse picture overall, since it has even faster response times; i'm so glad i chose the LG. i haven't checked the panel type and honestly i don't really care about it anymore; if this is an AUO panel, then AUO ain't too bad. if anyone really wants to know i might check it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
correction: my first impression was the right one, there is no lag whether you're in game mode or not. i've been using game mode since i set the tv up, but after experimenting and deciding the normal mode looked better i've been using it with no increase in lag. the 'lag' i had noticed is just how the game itself controls. and again, this is with 480p; this tv kicks ass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey LH20 owners, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 37 inch version of this TV... The reviews are good and looks like a decent set for a small living room that can be had for cheap. Plus the low input lag for gaming and true 24p support (2:2 pulldown) will be great for movies. I'm also considering the LH30 which is a step up at 1080p but doubt the higher res would be noticeable since I'll watching from about 8 feet away. The LH30 is around $100 to $150 more. Would it be worth it to just go with LH20 for a bit cheaper?

Also has anyone watched Bluray on this set? How is the downscaling to 720p? There is a review on televisioninfo.com that gave very poor marks for downscaling from 1080i and 1080p. If that review is accurate it could be a deal-breaker for me since I'd like to be able to work with 1080p sources and retain decent quality for watching movies and playing games on my PS3. If it is noticeable I'd go for the LH30 instead. Is this televisioninfo site a reputable source for reviews? Their tests are pretty extensive but some results they get seem a bit out of wack.

Case in point: the televisioninfo.com review mentions that the LH20 has good blacks and above average contrast ratio (2159:1 native). What I find strange though is the same site reviews the LH30 and gives it a bad rating for black and contrast ratio (measuring at 1075:1 native). How can the LH20 vs LH30 have such a huge difference in contrast ratio? I would've figured they'd be almost exactly the same PQ other than the native resolution.

Anyway, any opinions welcome.... Hoping to find this on a deal on Boxing Day!

·
Registered
77 Posts
the differing opinions are more likely due to different reviewers and not differences in the tvs. i noticed while researching my model that televisioninfo and cnet gave conflicting opinions about it's black levels, so you can just assume they've got different standards for grading. you have the option of turning the black levels further down if the standard darkness isn't enough, as well as adjusting the overall brightness, contrast, dynamic contrast setting, and backlight, so if you don't like the picture you have tools to fix it.

i was also concerned about the poor grade the 720p LGs got for 1080i/p content, but after watching some channels in 720p and 1080i it's hard to see an obvious quality difference. i'd say it scales 1080i better than they've led you to believe, maybe reducing points for slight distortions that the average viewer won't notice because that's what reviewers like to do. i haven't seen 1080p yet, but televisioninfo thought that resolution was handled better than 1080i, so based off what i've seen of 1080i i'd assume 1080p is alright.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just recently was given one for my bedroom tv. After auto setting the channels I noticed that it has the CATV, CADTV and TV stations in groups. Is there anyway to get the channels in numerical order irregardless of the CATV, CADTV, etc?

Bo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts