AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure where to post this, so I figured I'd start here.

I've had my LG55LE5500 for about a year and a half now. About a year ago, I had a Playstation 3 hooked up to it with no issues at all. A few months after that, I got rid of the PS3 and just picked up another one (new) this weekend. I have run into an interesting issue.

I had the PS3 hooked up on HDMI 2. I share HDMI 2 with 2 other devices (Xbox 360 and Roku) and just bounce the cable between everything. I hooked up the PS3 and started going through the setup. It sensed out that it could do 1080p over HDMI. Once it set itself to 1080p, the screen would just randomly go blank for a few seconds and then come back. I completed the setup and just left the PS3 sitting at the main menu. Same thing, screen would just go randomly blank for a few seconds and then come back. I moved the HDMI cable back to the 360 and it had no problems. Same thing on the Roku. So, I tried the same cable on HDMI 4 with the PS3. The picture looked absolutely horrible. It had white "speckles" all over the screen and what looked like a ton of interference. I figured, bad cable, so I went out and bought Sony's "official" PS3 HDMI cable and hooked it up. Had the EXACT same problems with the PS3 as described above. Took the new and old cable up to a Toshiba LCD I have, hooked it up. No problems at all with the PS3.

So, best I have been able to come up with is there is some compatibility issue with the latest firmware installed on this TV and the PS3. Since I had a PS3 hooked up before and did not have any problems, this is the only thing I can come up with as the only thing thats changed in the setup is the firmware version on the TV. Everything else is identical to the way it was back in April when I had the other PS3. I'm basically getting around the issue by running the PS3 on component cables. I can still get 1080p over component and I do not have any issues with the screen blanking out or "sparkles" on the screen.

Anyone else seeing this or have any suggestions? I have the extended warranty on the set, but trying to call this in and explain it to the front end person on the phone who knows next to nothing would be a serious pain.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. Tried numerous options and even did a full video reset on it. It works fine on the 3 other LCD's I have in the house, just not the LG. I really cant think of anything else it could be except a firmware issue. That wouldnt be weird for this TV. See this post on what happened to me with a firmware update a day or 2 after I bought the TV - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1282752

1 - 3 of 3 Posts