AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, I just joined today. I recently bought my first HDTV- a Panasonic LCD 22in 16:9 Widescreen for my bedroom. It has a HDMI input as well as multiple component, S-Video and composite connections. I live in Atlanta and have Comcast cable. Right now neither the Motorola DCT-6200 or DCT-6208 DVR are available yet for lease in my area. I was very interested in reading about LG's 3410A and Motorola's HDT-500R. I'm new to the HDTV arena and would appreciate any input. I currently don't use a cablebox as I use the SD tuner in my Tivo or the NTSC tuner in the TV. The LG 3410A says it receives QAM unscrambled digital cable channels. Am I correct in assuming that HD broadcast channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and hopefully TNT this May would be unscrambled QAM? and that HBO, Showtime and Cinemax Premium channels would be scrambled? If I'm not really interested in premium channels would the LG 3410A be a good way to record HD broadcast digital cable channels thru comcast? It seems the Motorola HDT-500R would be better for access to Premium channels or PPV thru a cablecard, otherwise the LG model is comparable. Unfortunately, I had planned to switch to VOOM but I have too many trees to get adequate satellite reception. Any thoughts on the 2 upcoming HD Cable DVR's and my particular set-up would be appreciated. Unfortunately their is no such animal as a Digital Cable Ready TIVO on the horizon- which I must admit surprizes me. I personally love the Tivo software......Harry

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Harrypr
The LG 3410A says it receives QAM unscrambled digital cable channels. Am I correct in assuming that HD broadcast channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and hopefully TNT this May would be unscrambled QAM? and that HBO, Showtime and Cinemax Premium channels would be scrambled? If I'm not really interested in premium channels would the LG 3410A be a good way to record HD broadcast digital cable channels thru comcast?......Harry
It was reported on another thread that the LG did not work with some non-premium cable channels: ESPN HD, InHD and InHD2. For me, this is a huge disappointment. Up until hearing this, I was ready to buy one.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that HD broadcast channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and hopefully TNT this May would be unscrambled QAM? and that HBO, Showtime and Cinemax Premium channels would be scrambled?
Unfortunately, at this point, I don't think you can really assume what (if any) QAM channels are going to be in the clear (unscrambled). You may be able to find out what your local provider is presently doing (the 'Local' area of this forum would be a good place to start). Also, whatever the situation is now ... it's unclear exactly what may (and may not be) unscrambled in the future.

I do kindof expect that eventaully ... we'll see the same thing we see now on the analog channels. Some 'basic' and 'expanded' level that will all be unscrambled ... with everything else scrambled ... but I've got nothing to back that up so take it for what you will.

Yes, I do think it's safe to assume that all premium channels (HBO, etc) and services will be scrambled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses!

I totally agree - The thought of InHD, InHD2, and ESPN being scrambled kills any thought of getting this box for me! Only getting Network HD unscrambled (CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX) IMHO isn't enough for the $999.99 price tag. I personally will wait on Motorola's HDT-500R (Digital Cable Ready DVR) and get a Comcast Cablecard when they are available later this year. That way, If I decide to get HBO or Showtime sometime in the future, or TNT's upcoming HD channel is scrambled I'd be covered. Its a shame that the LST 3410A wasn't designed for CableCard compatibility also. On the bright side, since Motorola's unit won't be available till 3rd or 4th quarter this year, I'll have time to save up. I also like the fact that the Motorola unit has a slightly larger hard drive (160GB). Wouldn't that translate to roughly 15 hrs of High Definition? I still think its a shame neither LG or Motorola opted to use the Tivo software. A HD Digital Cable Ready Tivo would have been totally irresistible! Humax is coming out with their own line of Tivo's this year, 2 standalone and 2 DVD Recording models, but I don't believe either is a High Def unit..............Harry

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Each cableco will have different channels encoded and unencoded.

Comcast and TWC are passing local HDTV unencoded; Cox is not. I know of no cableco that passes digital tier (ESPN HD, INHD, etc.) or premium (HBO, Showtime, etc.) unencoded. Any exceptions are due to the very early state of cable HD, and will be fixed at some point in the near future.

Digital tier channels, although not classified as premium, will be encoded.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The more I find out about this box the more confused I am in regard to it's purpose and price tag. I thought unscrambled was meaning a channel could be picked up by the receiver even if you weren't subbing to it or you could sub to it and it would then be unscrambled and viewable on the 3410. But from what I am now figuring out is that there is no way for the LG boxes to ever receive any signals that are scrambled period. So if all you may get are the networks which will be available OTA what's the use of even having and paying for a virtrualy unusable cable tuner?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
If your primary desire is for digital HD cable PVR the SA8000HD will be out by Aug 2004 too and you can rent it from the cable company instead of spending $1000 up front for the other models.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
If your primary desire is for digital HD cable PVR the SA8000HD will be out by Aug 2004 too and you can rent it from the cable company instead of spending $1000 up front for the other models.
I assume no OTA. Very limited function, cable operator two way control..etc... But may be a viable option. However if the cable company would supply an unscrambler box or an RF passthrough or Bypass module for the SA receivers then the LG would work in all it's glory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark,

Your assessment of the 3410a is precisely the way I interpret the info about it I've been reading. If you still need your own cable company's cablebox for recieving HD channels like InHD, InHD2 and ESPN HD, TNT HD, etc- then of what value is the LG HD QAM Tuner? Especially if there is not a CableCard slot in the unit. I am confused. The Motorola HDT-500R (even though details are sketchy) at least has a CableCard slot. If I am missing something about the LG model please enlighten me....Thanks, Harry

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
I checked on the SA 8000 and it is already out and in place with some cable companies. I called my cable co. charter, and they said they were going to be offering a PVR next month for $9.99. They didn't have a model number though I assume it would be the SA since I have the SA 3250 now for $3.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When tested on my Comcast system... the 3410 tuned 218 channels (7 of which were OTA) Included were; the local HD channels that Comcast was carrying, ESPN-HD, INHD, and INHD2. HBO-HD was the only HD channel not tuned. (Too bad I had to give it back.)

When I was at the CES, there was a LG LCD Projo with a built-in HD DVR that will have CableCard. I think they said it will be out in the Fall.

·
Registered
313 Posts
218 channels: WOW

I assume that many were analog cable channels. My QAM recvr on my Mits TV picks up a lot of channels: unfortunately most are still scrambled. Only the Local Networks,INHD's, ESPNHD, and a few others are actual digital unscrambled channels. However, things may change.

Paul

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Quote:
The LG 3410A says it receives QAM unscrambled digital cable channels. Am I correct in assuming that HD broadcast channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and hopefully TNT this May would be unscrambled QAM?
No.

Comcast will offer local HD channels unencrypted, but all other channels, including 'digital tier' like ESPN, INHD, and premium like HBO, Showtime, will be encrypted. There may be exceptions now, but this will become uniform in Comcast systems in the near future.

By this fall, you will find both integrated HDTV's & outboard STB's with CableCARD capability, which will work with any cableco and decode all channels that you pay for. By the end of the year, or maybe sooner, expect to see a HD PVR version of these devices, like this one:

The Motorola HDT500R is a high-definition off-air television receiver that receives incoming digital television signals for both high-definition and standard-definition TVs. Features include a user-friendly onscreen menu, digital closed captions, video scaling and parental controls. It delivers high-quality sound through Dolby Digital 5.1 channel surround decoding and digital audio pass-through to a home entertainment system.

It also integrates these features with a digital cable-ready receiver. This combination tuner/digital receiver is compatible with the FCC's Plug-and-Play standards through the use of a CableCARD (supplied by a cable service provider), which, upon the 1 July 2004 effective date, will allow consumers to connect the HDT500R to any cable service in the United States.

In addition, it includes DVR functionality and an 160GB hard drive for recording favorite programs in HDTV or standard formats.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wow, that's exactly what I need! Anyone know what the price of the HDT500R is going to be in August 2004 (if it's released on time)?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Too bad it's from motorola.

That guarantee's that it won't come out on time, won't work as advertised, and will require 6 updates before even the most basic feature set is available.

My guess is it will come with a cablecard interface, but it won't be enabled for another 24 months, if at all. Much like the firewire/DVI/RJ45 jacks on previous generations.

I sure hope LG produces a box with similar specs in the same timeframe. Moto needs competition from a reputable company before they will ever respond to market needs.

·
Registered
45,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by orbitzboy
Too bad it's from motorola.

That guarantee's that it won't come out on time, won't work as advertised, and will require 6 updates before even the most basic feature set is available.
Wanna bet?

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
It also integrates these features with a digital cable-ready receiver. This combination tuner/digital receiver is compatible with the FCC's Plug-and-Play standards through the use of a CableCARD (supplied by a cable service provider), which, upon the 1 July 2004 effective date, will allow consumers to connect the HDT500R to any cable service in the United States.
Motorola may have Cablecard but it does not have firewire. I know it is not important for some of you but it is for me and many others.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I personally haven't seen any specs yet on which input/outputs the Motorola HDT500R will or will not have included. I expect that since Motorola is a listed adopter of Hdmi, hopefully we'll see a hdmi output instead of a DVI. My TV has a Hdmi input, so I'd prefer to see it included on the HDT500R. The main reason I'm holding out for the Motorola instead of the LG 3410A is the addition of the CableCard slot. I have Comcast and don't want to be stuck having to add a separate comcast receiver to add HBO or Showtime,etc. I have given up on waiting for a Digital Cable Ready Tivo, as no one seems interested in manufacturing one in the foreseeable future, with or without a cablecard slot. If anyone has any detailed news about the HDT500R I'd appreciate a update. Thanks, Harry

·
Registered
45,622 Posts
Quote:
I personally haven't seen any specs yet on which input/outputs the Motorola HDT500R will or will not have included. I expect that since Motorola is a listed adopter of Hdmi, hopefully we'll see a hdmi output instead of a DVI.
I don't know for sure, but the unit at CES didn't have one and the press release didn't mention it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.