·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone.

I just ordered a Lian-Li PC-9300.

Yes, I know it's micro-atx.

And yes, I know it was a lot of money. :) :(

My question is, however...about dvd/cd-rom bezel/silver covers.

I know they come with several covers for a variety of brands; however, what I'm really looking to get is a Toshiba 16x/48x DVD drive -- as prescibed in the "top-of-class" recommendation.

I would get a pioneer [also recommended], since the lian-li comes with a cover for it, but I'd really like to have the varies DVD-RAM & whatnot support formats...

...a DVD burner might not be in my immediate future, but it likely will come along somewhere along the line in the future. ;)

So, if anyone can tell me:

Does the Toshiba have an 'equivalent' button/face layout to any of the other drive bezels provided...

and if not, is there any other QUIET, widely compatible DVD drive [for the new DVD write formats] that DOES fit a bezel-layout?

Thanks guys [and gals!]. You've been a *gigantic* help in me setting up my HTPC. I'm really looking forward to getting it all together. When I do, I'll be sure to let you all know how it works...but of course I need a DVD/CD drive to get to that point...;)...so let me know!

Thanks again!

John Blalock

PS - could someone also recommend a micro-atx power supply that would work suffeciently? (gonna ues a p3 1.0ghz, 512mb 133mhz sdram, which I think are the most 'hoggish' power consumers among the main pc components?]

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Not really sure of the issue on DVD, but you might want to look here

Silver Drives

As far as Power Supplies, I really like the Antec True series

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would definitely recommend that you check the bezels against the actual product if possible. I took the three that came with the case and printouts of the others (from the Lian-Li site) to several stores around here to check fit. All the drives I found would have required modification to the bezels.

In the end, I went with two black drives, a 5X Toshiba DVD and a Liteon CDRW 482448. It won't be as clean as I'd hoped for, but my GF gave it the thumbs up. And it actually will help the case fit in with the rest of my (black) equipment.

I'd be kicking myself over not getting a black case if it weren't for the blue LED on the front. :D

As for PSUs, as I'm sure you've discovered, there aren't a lot out there. I'm going to be running a Duron 1.3ghz on an Nforce MB and went with a Turbo-Cool 180 SFX-L from Power PC and Computing. Fit perfectly.
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home.htm

I think one of these Enhance PSUs would work as well. They have a 200W model, ENP-2120D with the same dimensions:
http://www.enhanceusa.com/.

Good luck!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a bunch, both of you -- as you indeed were a great deal of help.

I ended up getting the 'silver' toshiba DVD drive from the site that was pointed out to me, and then the 200w Enhance power supply also. :)

This makes my component 'checklist' almost complete...but here's what I've still got to go:

cpu [lol!]

motherboard [lol!!!]

the hardest component:

Well, I had gotten a killer day-after-Thanksgiving deal on a bundle consisting of 256mb pc133 ram & a 75gb, 7200 rpm western digital hdd...which will come out to around 55 bucks after the rebates come back.

Unfortunately, I think the western digital drive is fairly loud...running getting up to about 39dba average when writing/seeking.

I thought I had a solution found in the Silvent Drive Enclosure by Molex...

take a look at:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/00017.html

, but that has me kind of worried, since it says to ensure that the hdd has an idle watt consumption of 6.8w or less, whereas I believe my hdd is [at idle] 7.5w (got this information, which I *think* is right, at:)
http://www.wdc.com/products/current/...Model=WD1200BB

(drive size is different, but same model),

though it meets the temperature requirement of 55 degrees C.

So...do you think I should go ahead and try it anyway?

One last issue:

I believe the radeon I got [7200 64mb agp] has a fan on it...

you guys know how many db that thing will pump out?

If it may be significant, would you happen to have a less noisy cooling recommendation handy? ;)

Thanks for your help once again, guys...

I think I might post these new q's in another thread, since I think a lot of people will look over them due to the subject header...but please do reply if you have any ideas.

Thanks again!

John

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
ATI has a habit of adding fans when they sometimes are not really needed. Try unplugging the fan and see if it overheats. It should work for HT but may be too much for games. If it is needed, it may be able to be replaced with one of the zalman video heatshinks or you might try slowing down the fan with resistors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.