AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Lian Li PC-C34F case from Newegg, this is my first HTPC build, and my first PC build in a few years.

First thing I noticed is the case is a little deeper then Newegg shows. It is around 18.25 deep, Newegg (and the box) say it's 16.8. Interestingly, at the Lian Li website, the dimension given (after conversion) is 18", so I am not surprised by the confusion.

Depth is an issue with my because the closet shelf is only 17" deep, and with clearance for cables, I figure I need 20", but it is going on the bottom shelf, so I can have it stick out a little. I may need to put blocks under the front feet to support them.

Another thing is most reviews and specs say the the larger fan is 140mm, but the box and website say 120mm. I measured it this morning as 4.75", or 120mm.

I also thought it would be easy to add more fans to the case, but I don't there are no fan mounting holes in the side of the case. I guess I need to drill mounting holes if I want to add a fan or two. The one 120mm fan in the case is by the hard drives, there is another 80mm fan in the back, by the mb. I think I want another 120mm fan in the back, to blow air by the mb.

That's about it for now, I will add more comments as I progress.

Randy

·
Registered
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randytsuch1 /forum/post/20833227

I just bought a Lian Li PC-C34F case from Newegg, this is my first HTPC build, and my first PC build in a few years.

First thing I noticed is the case is a little deeper then Newegg shows. It is around 18.25 deep, Newegg (and the box) say it's 16.8. Interestingly, at the Lian Li website, the dimension given (after conversion) is 18", so I am not surprised by the confusion.

Depth is an issue with my because the closet shelf is only 17" deep, and with clearance for cables, I figure I need 20", but it is going on the bottom shelf, so I can have it stick out a little. I may need to put blocks under the front feet to support them.

Another thing is most reviews and specs say the the larger fan is 140mm, but the box and website say 120mm. I measured it this morning as 4.75", or 120mm.

I also thought it would be easy to add more fans to the case, but I don't there are no fan mounting holes in the side of the case. I guess I need to drill mounting holes if I want to add a fan or two. The one 120mm fan in the case is by the hard drives, there is another 80mm fan in the back, by the mb. I think I want another 120mm fan in the back, to blow air by the mb.

That's about it for now, I will add more comments as I progress.

Randy

This case has provision to mount a second rear 80mm case fan beside the first one.

Is there adequate ventilation to the closet? Be careful putting a computer in a restricted space. If the case is pushed back as far on the shelf as the cables allow, and even with no restrictions to the side, exhaust air may have issues getting away from the case. You don't want pre-heated air going back into the case, and having exhaust fans blow directly against a wall can reduce their performance.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I have 3-4 inches above it (have to measure with it in the closet), and maybe 5-6 inches on each side. If necessary, I figure I can add a fan in the back of the shelf, to push the hot air out.

I need to see what my power consumption and temps are after putting everything together, but I expect it to be not bad

Randy

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. I bought a used Ninja Mini, had to buy used since they are obsolete, and it seemed like one of the better heatsinks that will fit in this case.

Power supply is an Antec HCG-620. I am using a MB and processor I bought cheap last year, a AthlonII X2 250, and a MCP6P micro ATX MB.

I have been trying to figure out which way to face the Mini's fan. Looking from the back, PS is on the left. Won't fit on the PS side, and it would be a very tight fight on the back side, but I don't think I want either of those directions anyway.

Figuring that the hot air should exhaust out the back, I would place the fan on the Mini side closest to the front, blowing towards the back. Problem with this plan is the RAM may interfere. Other option is on the side away from the PS, blowing towards the PS.

I guess the disadvantage here is that you're blowing hot air into the PS, but I figure to dissipate 100 watts at most, and that my PS will hardly get warm anyway, so it won't matter.

This is probably obvious to a lot of you guys, but I haven't built a PC in many years, and didn't really pay enough attention to this kind of detail when I did build one.

Randy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.