AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Special thanks to AVSForum for the chance to have an open discussion.
I am going to introduce out new product line of smart home system, Libertas, the result of 10 years of R&D.
My name is Qingjun Wei, founder of Libre Home Inc.
  1. Bottom line, we believe in innovation and decency!
  2. Do simple things other systems cannot do.
  3. Full digital independence and privacy protection.
First, Do Simple Things Other Systems Can’t Do
No other system allows you to blink a bunch of light bulbs at will. How simple is that?
Sure you may never need to blink light bulbs.
But do you ever wonder, what else they cannot do? Well, the answer is, unlimited number of things, mathematically speaking.
We were granted a patent on it.
There are patent infringements, some vendors later tried to correct. But still, you cannot blink a bunch of light bulbs on other systems!
Our Hub is an ultimate IoT programming machine without restriction, an Operating System for IoT.

Digital Independence and Privacy Protection
Every other system tries to lock you into their service. We do not!
Independence = Forever
The system shall be fully functional without our service.
We encourage users to set up “port forwarding” on their routers to disconnect from our bridging service.

Privacy - Never Steal any Data
Your communication is always “end-to-end encrypted”, even if you use our bridge service.

Ultimate IoT Programming Machine
It can do anything logical. It’s free to develop, free to contribute, and free to share.
The “blinking light bulbs” example that I mentioned at the beginning, is only 10 lines of code! Yet no other systems can do it.
Full developer guides can be found here.

“Smart” Everything Will be Open Sourced
One can’t exploit the people with several hundred lines of code and expect people to “get used to it” from this generation on!
This is the way! Your freedom is yours.

Products
How Much RF can be Optimized?
All our devices have RF output of 5mW, compared to 150mW for WiFi devices and routers.
Our remote control is powered with 2 AAA batteries that last 2 years.
Users are welcome to publish their own benchmarks of the RF range. Can our remote reach longer than your WiFi router?

Innovation on Every Device
Here are two examples:
Libertas In-Wall Switch

Libertas Smart Remote

More product videos will be released later

Current Products
Follow this link to check out our products.
Products

Robust and Stable
Hub, devices, and the Android App are rock solid now. As long as not physically abused, all kinds of benchmarks are welcome.
iOS App is currently under QA and will be released anytime soon.

IoT App is Everything
Our patent centers around our Libertas IoT App Engine.
Third-party Voice Assistant can be an IoT App.
A smart thermostat or smart sprinkler can be an IoT App.
An IoT App usually has dozens of lines of code (or hundreds). We promote open source Apps with our community. Contribution and sharing are unrestricted.
Please note IoT App is not Smartphone App. IoT App runs on our Hub, while Smartphone App runs on phones.

New Business Model
We charge a fixed license fee for every third party device connected. However,

You Get 1000 Device Licenses
As early users, you get a Hub with 1000 device licenses. It is perpetual across Hub replacements for lifetime. So you are covered.

License without Privacy Infringement
Device license is a digital signature bound with your Hub’s IEEE address. It is verified internally in Hub. We still know nothing about you, as we never want to know.

Protecting Users’ Investment
Most users may have already purchased some smart home devices. Are those compatible with our system?

For more information, read our blog post.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Well, this seems more like an advertisement than an "open discussion" (which is fine by me).

"No other system allows you to blink a bunch of light bulbs at will. How simple is that? " ummm, lots of systems can do that. I didn't find (or research) your patent, but I don't see anything novel about that. We even "blink" bulbs to music rhythm (and adjust color too). Most all lighting controllers aren't fast enough response to do that so we have used DMX (stage lighting communication protocol) to do that. But it's not a novel concept. I certainly hope your patent isn't just the patent office not being expert in the domain to issue a patent on business as usual which is REALLY common. But until I see the patent, who knows what's in it. But blinking bulbs for purpose is pretty standard stuff. The real conversation is - for what real purpose? The music "blinking" was for fun and entertainment (we first developed our software for RGB LED underwater pool / spa lights). Using "blinking" as a communication element is another. I use it to tell my XBox headphone engrossed son that it's time for dinner.

If you want example of "blinking" at another level, take a look at Welcome to Light-O-Rama - Light-O-Rama which is a way to choreograph light shows (blinking / color / fades etc).
What is the patent number / link to the patent copy?

RF Range: I am sure (hope) you are using an FCC registered frequency. When you say less RF power yet great RF range....hmmmm...what is unique there....

"New business model": Licensing by connected devices is not unique at all....

Suggestion: Maybe some of the non understanding is the language translation. No diss as your English is a lot better than my Chinese (zero). But if you are marketing to native English speakers, you should have a native English speaker edit the marketing copy.

·
Vendor
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@smoothtlk

Yes, it is an advertisement. And welcome to the open discussion. I appreciate it very much!

With all due respect, I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. Of course one can make any specialized system to do anything. And I am sure those specialized may already existed.

But my system is a general-puspose IoT system, targeting both consumers and professionals with optimal user experience for everyone.

The "blinking light bulbs" example, is just 10 lines of code. And it is shared as an App so that any user can blink light bulbs at will with any pattern, on their smartphones. Even the source code is open sourced.

The professional stuff you mentioned, can all be achieved as Apps on my system, most likely with even better user experience.

As for my English, yes I am not a native English speaker. But I embrace the culture and value-system wholeheartedly. And I deliberately and blatantly promote myself to let anyone know that as the founder I am the company. So I am taking full accountability in this business world where you guys all know what the hell is happening.

·
Vendor
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more thing.

The key idea of my system is not even about smart home. It is about freedom and independence!

It gives end-user the freedom to do anything logically sound with their devices! No other system can do it!

End-users can use the system with full independence, without depending on any particular external service! If a system requires a user account to function, it will fail the independence test!

And all comes with full privacy protection, zero information leak!

It is Digital Independence that I am promoting, for the rest of my life!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Can you provide your patent number(s)? I did a quick inventor search under your name and didn't see any patents issued. Of course they could be filed under a company name et al.

Your marketing statements appear to be too broad. Your system cannot "do anything logically sound". And there is no such thing as "zero information leak" since EVERY computing device is hackable (IMHO).
If you system isn't specialized - then what is it?

BTW, the automation system my company has developed does everything I am hearing yours is stating is "No other system can do it". And it is very much a competing system to yours (as I understand yours). So you might want to do some further competitive research on what companies who have been doing this a lot longer than your new product does before suggesting overbroad marketing statements on it's uniqueness. You can look at Homeseer, CQC, Control4, Crestron, Savant, Dometicz, Home Assistant, Home Automated Living and on and on. They "all" do what you are suggesting. I hear your passion in your product which is awesome. But the statements need to be accurate.

·
Vendor
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Of course I can provide patent number. It is what open discussion is about.

It is US10430165B2.

With all due respect, I think you are comparing apples and oranges again. All systems are just a piece of software. Of course software can do anything logically sound!

For example, a user can ask anything from Crestron. And I'm sure they will be happy to do it at $350 per hour service rate.

But, my system allows the end-users do anything logically sound, without depending on the vendor. And most importantly, share with other users all over the world, so that other users can do the same thing without writing a single line of code (only using their smartphones).

This is exactly the freedom and independence I was talking about. And it is proven with theoretical computer science.

Also, as for Zero Information Leak, yes every system is hackable. But we promise not to steal (or collect, whatever you call it) any information from end-users. And we will do everything we can to prevent any one else from stealing. Who else can do it?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I don't think you have much background with your competition.
Sounds like you are touting DIY as the "unique" capability. That is not unique at all. Homeseer, CQC, Home Assistant and yes, our myServer products all are positioned to do same. None of them require a dealer or to have programming backgrounds (though that certainly helps as it implies the user thinks logically).
Users can share their user interface "templates", their macros, their configuration setups, anything.

Your other claim of "Zero information leak", I have no idea what that is. If you are saying that you are not a cloud application that requires authentication to a non user owned service, well all of the above systems do same. We have systems running in higher security environments including manufacturing plants, an FBI office, a pending system at a military complex and at a prison, and as basic as a retail store that does not want any Internet connectivity to the control system. Not a problem. Sometimes this need comes from as simple that the IT group within that client's facility just doesn't want to take the time that the system IS secure. So firewall it off from any strangers. Easy.

I think from my perspective, I wish you well. I do like the aesthetics of your switches. I assume they are not compatible with Z-Wave, Zigbee or other documented control protocols?

Good luck!

·
Vendor
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With all due respect, if you can show me how any other system can allow end-users to blink a bunch of light bulbs at will, it will be more convincing.

After all, on my system. It only takes 10 lines of code. And since it's already done. End-users can just use it at will on their smartphones. They never need to know anything about coding.

Of course you can't expect end-users to write programs. There is a clear distinction between a "programmer" and an "end-user".

The switches can be compatible with Zigbee. It is the same chip. However I chose to build a protocol to overcome all shortcomings of Zigbee. Hence the Hornet mesh network, "a super Zigbee". It is 50,000 lines of rock solid C code running on every device.

Soon, it will be compatible with other generic Zigbee devices, through firmware upgrade. It will not only just route messages for other Zigbee devices, but also improve security and manageability of Zigbee devices in the same mesh network.

Innovation always comes first than anything else, at any cost. It is the right thing to do!

I will publish more stuff about the Craftsmanship of every device we design.

·
Vendor
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Blog Post about Our Business Mission
“Promoting the Freedom, Independence, and Privacy of end-users”.
In this 3 minutes read, I have a lot of explanation to do. Especially I need to lay out things like design details that align with the mission, possible conflict of interests, innovation, and economic & social cost.
There is one particular problem I think worth mentioning. No other system can let users do simple things such as “blinking a bunch of light bulbs at will”. It reflects the social and economic problems we are having. We need to have an open discussion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts