AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I contact Oppo to ask when they are going to support the wavefile format I get the answer that they have issues with getting a license for using the wavefile format. I never heard of this and did some research some time ago and found a page on the MicroSoft website stating that no license was necessary to use the format. Unfortunately I did not bookmark it and I am unable to find it again.

Personally I have the feeling Oppo is using the license as a lame excuse to not support the most basic lossless audio format. Does anybody know how it really works? Who owns the wavefile format (MicroSoft?) and how does licensing work (costs?), if necessary at all?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Pure speculation: The format may be free but the implementation may not be... For example, if they are using a commercial RTOS (real-time operating system) or embedded operating system, they may be unwilling to pay the licensing fee from their software vendor.

If they are rolling their own (Linux, for example) OS then they may be unwilling to invest the development and debug time, and using 'licensing' as an excuse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts