AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone... Does anyone know of a way to get my hands on the demo of Life of Pi and Exodus in HDR? I have access to a Samsung JS9000 and JS9500 side by side and want to see for myself the difference to justify the purchase of either. Do I need to purchase the demo or is it downloadable somewhere?

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Not available to the consumer until they release the new UHD hard drive. Most professional review sites get it on a separate USB drive when they review the JS9500. Even some Best Buys do not have it yet. Once someone gets the new UHD pack they will probably upload it or hopefully by that time Samsung would make it available for download.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Reactions: mpgxsvcd

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
Hey everyone... Does anyone know of a way to get my hands on the demo of Life of Pi and Exodus in HDR? I have access to a Samsung JS9000 and JS9500 side by side and want to see for myself the difference to justify the purchase of either. Do I need to purchase the demo or is it downloadable somewhere?
I have also posted in the 3500 thread the life of PI HDR clip please post pictures of models side by side doing HDR in the 3500u thread thanks .... when watching hdr make sure to choose native colour space if it does not automatically do it .. I have also posted many new UHD videos over there ...

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I have also posted in the 3500 thread the life of PI HDR clip please post pictures of models side by side doing HDR in the 3500u thread thanks .... when watching hdr make sure to choose native colour space if it does not automatically do it .. I have also posted many new UHD videos over there ...
Just curious why this is not in h.265 format?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just curious why this is not in h.265 format?
What format is it in? I believe h.265 could be packaged in a .mp4 container.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
What format is it in? I believe h.265 could be packaged in a .mp4 container.
I could not play it on my Windows based PC at all. It plays the audio but not the video. Has anyone been able to get an image to show up on a computer with these videos?

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
I could not play it on my Windows based PC at all. It plays the audio but not the video. Has anyone been able to get an image to show up on a computer with these videos?

on my computer, i get a message that says "this file is encoded with a format that is not supported".

evidence of special HDR encoding? my computer plays every 4k video ive ever downloaded.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
If I remember correctly, I believe those are HVEC in MP4. Try an app with an HVEC decoder like MPC-HC.
That is really cool. MPC-HC plays it and it is definitely encoded differently. Everything is super flat just as if it hadn’t gone through color correcting yet. I am sure my computer monitor can’t render it properly but you can definitely see the input is vastly different than the non-hdr encode.

Cool stuff. It will be a long time before this is mainstream though. However, it will be useful when it is.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
That is really cool. MPC-HC plays it and it is definitely encoded differently. Everything is super flat just as if it hadn’t gone through color correcting yet. I am sure my computer monitor can’t render it properly but you can definitely see the input is vastly different than the non-hdr encode.

Cool stuff. It will be a long time before this is mainstream though. However, it will be useful when it is.

are you convinced this is real HDR? every non HDR tv that tries to play it reports the picture is washed out. only the JS tvs and SEK3500 tvs have successfully played it.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Here are some screen shots. You can see that there is a lot of noise and my computer of course is not interpreting the information properly because it appears to be super flat. Interesting none the less.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
are you convinced this is real HDR? every non HDR tv that tries to play it reports the picture is washed out. only the JS tvs and SEK3500 tvs have successfully played it.
Define “Real HDR”. No this is not “True HDR”. That would require that you filmed it at twice the frame rate or greater and over-exposed and then under-exposed every other frame so that you could combine them later with much greater true dynamic range.

That being said this is in fact a file encoded with the perception of greater dynamic range than the Blu-ray for instance would have. They have simply pulled the shadows and highlights in processing to achieve a compressed dynamic range for the image. However, that could have very impressive results if they went back to the original high quality source for this edit.

My understanding is that the Samsung TVs can read the header information to know what has been done to this clip to give it the impression of more dynamic range. In turn they basically correct for the flat color profile of this clip to give it the appearance of more dynamic range. It probably works very well though.

I am definitely very interested in seeing this on a Samsung TV. The Jurassic Park clip I saw at Best Buy did not appear to have this “enhanced dynamic range”. This clip is much more compelling.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
After seeing this clip it definitely gives me pause. This is a real and clear advantage that Samsung has over the competition. This is a feature I would consider paying double the price for. Too bad they don't make a 70-80 inch flat screen FALD TV with this technology. That would be outstanding and I would buy that sight unseen.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
After seeing this clip it definitely gives me pause. This is a real and clear advantage that Samsung has over the competition. This is a feature I would consider paying double the price for. Too bad they don't make a 70-80 inch flat screen FALD TV with this technology. That would be outstanding and I would buy that sight unseen.

the 78" HU9000 can be had for around 5k online if you look hard, then add the sek3500 and suddenly you have a 78" HDR tv. tho its not fald or flat lol, but i have to admit, the blacks on the 2 HDR clips is blacker than any other footage/movie ive watched on this tv since ive had it.

heres the exodus clips from my tv hu9000 with the sek3500.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
I took the files to best buy and played them on a JS9500, as mine isn't arriving for a couple of days. It's ok, I didn't think it was anything exciting to be honest. Im glad I have the feature but it certainly isn't a game changer, at least not from what I'm seeing from these demos. It also could just be that my OLEDs have ruined me :)

I know it's crazy, but personally even If they made flat I would of went with the curve. My ec9300 changed my thinking about curves. It now looks funny when I watch a flat TV. Insanity, I know.

There is a TV exactly like your describing, it's called the Sony XBR940C.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.