AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how the lifetime service worked when you were outside of your waranty period. I think the way the tivo's work is that the lifetime service is for the lifetime of the unit, so if your outside of the waranty period and your unit goes out and you have to buy another, you also have to purchase another lifetime service agreement. Is sonic blue working the replays service agreement like this?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
What lifetime service are you talking about? The activation fee? It's not anything even remotely similar to Tivo's subscription service... thus, if you get a new unit, it too needs to be activated. I suspect if ReplayTV replaces your unit under warranty, they'll activate the replacement unit.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Statix
I was wondering how the lifetime service worked when you were outside of your waranty period. I think the way the tivo's work is that the lifetime service is for the lifetime of the unit, so if your outside of the waranty period and your unit goes out and you have to buy another, you also have to purchase another lifetime service agreement. Is sonic blue working the replays service agreement like this?

Thanks
From the TiVo, Inc. Website:

[Lifetime Service]

Applies to the lifetime of the Recorder (not the subscriber). Remains in effect after storage capacity upgrades by the manufacturer or an authorized vendor. Remains in effect when the Recorder is repaired or replaced during service by the manufacturer or an authorized vendor. Accompanies the Recorder in case of ownership transfer. Cannot be transferred to a Recorder from a different manufacturer or to a Recorder with a different model number. Each Recorder purchased requires its own service subscription.

So if it fails and is repaired or replaced under warranty or not, it is still covered under lifetime service. If you buy a new, better unit, it is not covered.

/carmi

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
The activation fee? It's not anything even remotely similar to Tivo's subscription service...
Quit trying to say its not a subscription... it is. They may not offer a monthly option yet, but they will. How can you argue that a monthly charge to use the product is not a subscription? and how is that any different than Tivo's subscription service?

·
Registered
28 Posts
So you argue that because you believe that they WILL do something in the future, that the activation fee is the same as a monthly fee, therefore the activation fee is the same as a subscription? Not a logically sound argument...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I guess I must be clouded by the fact that SonicBlue calls it a "lifetime service subscription" (that is a direct quote).

Better yet, here's a small section of the Service Agreement:
Quote:
2. Fees and Term of the ReplayTV Service

A. Subscription Fees. Your use of the ReplayTV Service is subject to your payment of the subscription fee in advance. The subscription fee covers only the basic ReplayTV Service, and does not include charges or fees (a) for premium or other additional services offered as part of or through the ReplayTV Service for which ReplayTV charges additional fees, or (b) to third parties for telephone service or broadband access, if applicable. You are responsible for any such telephone or broadband service charges and acknowledge and agree that you shall be solely responsible for all disputes with any third party related to the same.

B. Lifetime Service. Subject to the terms of this Agreement, once you have paid the Service Activation Fee for your ReplayTV 4500 you will not incur any additional charges to receive the basic ReplayTV Service during the lifetime of that product. The ReplayTV Service will be provided only to that particular ReplayTV 4500 unit for which you paid the subscription fee and cannot be transferred to any other units you may purchase. However, the ReplayTV Service will still apply to that unit even if you give it or sell it to a friend or family member. Thus, any service that is activated follows the ReplayTV 4500 unit and not the person.
There sure are a lot of subscription fees involved for a non-subscirption.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me see if i have this right, on both tivo and reply units, if you buy a unit and you purchase the lifetime service, the unit is out of warantee and dies, you purchase another unit, the lifetime service you had will not transfer to the new unit?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Statix
Let me see if i have this right, on both tivo and reply units, if you buy a unit and you purchase the lifetime service, the unit is out of warantee and dies, you purchase another unit, the lifetime service you had will not transfer to the new unit?
Yes. Consider the service fee to be part of the purchase price of the device.

Prior to the 4500 series, ReplayTV didn't even break it out as a separate fee (we knew it was in there because ReplayTV cost almost exactly the same amount as a similar-sized TiVo with the lifetime subscription -- this was way too much of a coincidence). The only reason they're doing so now is because they're soon going to be offering a monthly fee option, like TiVo. In that case, you can decide whether to take the chance that you'll need to buy a new one before the break-even point.

Note that just because the unit is out of warrantee doesn't mean you *have* to purchase another unit. You could still pay to get it repaired instead. That could still be cheaper than buying a whole new unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.