AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2000 (Panasonic) and a 3000 (ReplayTV). Both have lifetime subs. Unfortunately, they are both acting funny and I feel are about to die on me.

I called RTV sales line and asked the associate if I were to buy say a 5500 series, could I transfer my subs from the 2000 and 3000 to the new units. Amazingly, they said this can be done. I was shocked.

My questions are:

- Anyone successful in actually doing this? I don't want to buy a unit and DNNA says no you can't. Then I would have to argue that a rep told me it was possible.

- What then will happen to the 2000 and 3000 units? They will be doorstoppers? I can't use them for anything anymore?

- If anyone has done this, what is the procedure? Call customer rep or activation line?

I would love to do this, but I am afraid when I do try to transfer they will deny me eventhough some rep told me it was possible. I would then be stuck with $299 activation or $13 / mo :( I've read a few threads about this, but they were from a 4000 or 5000 to a new one.

TIA!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have have transfered one from a 3020 to a 5040.

They now have to be 100% replaytv branded, not Panasonic Showstoppers. Are you sure they said you can transfer from the Panasonic branded unit?

In my case the 3020 was acting up pretty bad, took out the drive and kept the unit for a rainy day.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesMH
I have have transfered one from a 3020 to a 5040.

They now have to be 100% replaytv branded, not Panasonic Showstoppers. Are you sure they said you can transfer from the Panasonic branded unit?

In my case the 3020 was acting up pretty bad, took out the drive and kept the unit for a rainy day.
Thanks for the reply. I specificially said 2000 and 3000 series. I believe all 2000 series were Showstoppers, but I could be wrong.

Is your 3020 now completely non-functional? It probably can't connect to get the guide, but can it still use it to manual record?

·
Registered
238 Posts
If they tell you over the phone that they will transfer the sub, then ask for the case # that they are putting these notes in. You should not have to argue anything when you call in and say "I would like xxxx rtv unit transfered to xxxx rtv unit per case # xxxx" (fill in the x's with your #'s).

They always put pretty good notes in the case, apparently that's why it takes forever to even get to talk to anyone for the simplest questions.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by arcadefreaque
If they tell you over the phone that they will transfer the sub, then ask for the case # that they are putting these notes in. You should not have to argue anything when you call in and say "I would like xxxx rtv unit transfered to xxxx rtv unit per case # xxxx" (fill in the x's with your #'s).

They always put pretty good notes in the case, apparently that's why it takes forever to even get to talk to anyone for the simplest questions.
That's good advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Anubus12
Thanks for the reply. I specificially said 2000 and 3000 series. I believe all 2000 series were Showstoppers, but I could be wrong.
Thats not correct. But that is because the branding was all crazy.

The 2000 series were Replay Branded. You most likely didn't even know about ReplayTV when the 2000 series was out. It was pre-2000.

The Panasonic Showstopper 1000, 2000, & 3000 models were just Panasonic branded ReplayTV 3000 series. A Panasonic Showstopper 2000 is not a 2000 series Replay TV, It is a 30 GB ReplayTV 3000 series.

Confused yet?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Anubus12
Thanks for the reply. I specificially said 2000 and 3000 series.
There were 2000 series ReplayTVs that were the first models released. These are not Showstoppers. The Showstopper models were PVHS-1000, 2000 or 3000 depending on the hours available. Whoever you talked to thought you meant ReplayTV 2000 and 3000 series. Your question should have been posed that you have a Showstopper and a 3000 series ReplayTV.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
It is like the HDD failing given the age of these units. You might be better off buying two 40GB drives and selling these on eBay. Then buy two 5500's and go monthly since the second unit monthly rate is so low now.

Cheers

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the clarification of the different models. i thought that someone in the thread posted above said they transfered a showstopper to a 5000 series without issues. i guess this won't work :(

as for my other question, anyone know if the deactivated 2000 or 3000 will be a door stopper? no manual record even?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I did. Read this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=lifetime

and this one:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=lifetime

I don't see any reason why they would deny a transfer from a Showstopper, or why they would change this policy. It doesn't make any sense. I believe someone posted (before I transferred my service) that when they asked about transferring service from a Panasonic Showstopper, the rep just said that the service came with the units and didn't understand. Could they have changed the policy? Yes. But it just doesn't make sense why they would limit it to Replay brand. If anything, I would think that they would stop allowing transfers altoghether.

I would call and speak to someone, get an answer, and get a case number.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GTDaveMac
I would call and speak to someone, get an answer, and get a case number.
Just to add, if you don't get the answer you want, feel free to ask to speak to a "supervisor" in order to get the answer you want

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just transferred lifetime from a broken 5504 to a refurb 5040 I recently got. (And yes, the 5504 was really broken, see other threads on trying to get it fixed.)

It took nearly an hour on hold before I got someone on the phone. This isn't counting the two times I was on hold for 20 mins and had to hang up because I needed to go. Once I got someone, the guy was pretty nice but the computer kept going down. The first time it went down, he asked me to call back. That was particularly annoying and I asked to hold for a few mins to see if it would come back (and it did for a little bit).

Overall, the process wasn't too tough but then again, I had gotten the systems from them so it wasn't like I had a lot to prove.

I guess I could get the 5504 fixed as it is less than a year old but it seems sort of silly to spend the $50 bucks on fixing it when I bought it's replacement for $29.

-SeeSpotRun

·
Registered
395 Posts
Make sure customer service "actually" see your new unit "activated" on their computer screen. Someone took 4 calls over 10 days of period to get it done. Not every customer service person is trained equally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.