AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a mechanical "lift" for a plasma that would be placed at the base of a bed and lift up out of a box or narrow cabinet.

I can have the cabinet built around a lift if need be... any recommendations and/or success stories.

The best case scenario would find it to be IR controllable.

Thanks in advance,

BigRed

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
At CES in Jan. 2002 I remember seeing a couple vendors demonstrating a cabinet where the plasma was hidden inside and when "commanded" the plasma would rise up from the cabinet. Pretty slick.

I can't recall if there were such vendors there in Jan. '03. I wasn't really paying attention, tho.

Bottom line, such things exist - can't tell you the cost of these.

...mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check with www.lucetv.com, they offer a variety of lifts for all sizes or call954.749.3100 for direct response

PMLM-300LB and LCML-60lb are examples on the site

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Also, Chief makes lifts. Chief Manufacturing, I believe, is the name. Everything they build seems like it's well built.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
How reasonable is the pricing, Brucer?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi

I have just finished building a whole home cinema cabinet and centre which incorporates a Plasma Lift by a German company. The key thing against all other lifts including the ones in the previous posts is that they use a type of rolling mechanism that rises and drops on both sides. In my experience that is very dangerous because over time one side inevitably goes out of time with the other side resulting in your plasma rising unevenly. The type of lift I would recommend is one that operates on a scissors type mechanism. There is a crisscross section that rises up and down, a bit like the old style manual car jacks for lifting cars. I shall lookup the details tonight and post them. Bye the way I found this product to be the most functionally rich. It operates via a toggle switch or an IR remote. It also has a way of manually setting the highest point you want the lift to rise to and you can also set the lowest drop point. After six months of research, I truly believe this to be the best product I have seen so far. The best thing it only cost me US$900!!!!!. Every other manufacturer was at least twice that. I shall post pictures and details tommorrow.

Regards

Yagnesh

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I saw a Henredon wall unit that lifts a plasma. In normal mode it looks like a wall unit / book shelf, but a press of the remote rises a plasma to viewing height to cover the center "shelf" space. Really a stunning piece, that your wife would love.

I really liked the piece, but didn't enquire about price since we we shopping for upholstery and not case goods.

If you know furniture, you know that Henredon does not come cheap!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
How reasonable is the pricing, Brucer?
In relative terms, 7-15 franklins versus 30 or more for the good stuff, ie. Inca / Auton. But overall - I personally think they are all overpriced.

I believe Inca and Auton both use a "rack & pinion" type mechanism. This involves sets (pairs) of gear-type straight tracks on each side of the mount, and two 'axles' with round gear wheels on each end to roll up or down the tracks. Since both sets of side wheels are connected by an axle, the tracking is straight without much chance to get out of alignment.

Another type (though I can't remember where I saw it) uses vertical threaded lead screws. This type operates much like the table or cutterhead mechanism on a woodshop surface planer (vertical adjustment).

While searching for lifts - also look at "Panel Lifts".

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Brucer: I've seen 40+ C-notes for several of them.

Should I search here or on Google for more info?

Yagnesh: Please do post those details. You all have me mighty intrigued right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.