AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I bought the diodes from Ikea a year ago for my Pioneer 64 rear projection set which has since died and I use them with my recently purchased Mitsu 73738, It makes the set appear as though its floating in mid air. This is great for viewing my tv shows in HD, but they are off when watching movies

·
Registered
3,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 /forum/post/20881271

I bought the diodes from Ikea a year ago for my Pioneer 64 rear projection set which has since died and I use them with my recently purchased Mitsu 73738, It makes the set appear as though its floating in mid air. This is great for viewing my tv shows in HD, but they are off when watching movies

The IKEA Dioder (white LED version) has been measured to be between 5000K and 5500K.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/20888798

The IKEA Dioder (white LED version) has been measured to be between 5000K and 5500K.

That's not to bad, they do about 7 colors besides the white and can do a cool smooth transition between the colors. I got the one with the 4 strips.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/20888798

Why does the color temperature matter? Chances are you're not going to be lighting a 100% pure white wall behind the display anyway.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 /forum/post/20893988

Why does the color temperature matter? Chances are you're not going to be lighting a 100% pure white wall behind the display anyway.

Chances are, folks who read video forums want to know what video industry experts recommend for achieving the best viewing quality. Also, I have seen over the years that most new homes and rentals have neutral white or very nearly white walls. Following imaging science principles and video display industry standards and recommended practices will always result in more authentic picture quality for the viewer.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Not here to troll... but I thought that a big feature of DLP RP technology was that ambient room lighting would have no effect on Black (or any) levels that the TV displayed. "Am I wrong?" audiofan1 says it makes his DLP appear as though it's floating, but that doesn't really answer the question of whether or not bias lighting helps black levels.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan /forum/post/20894296

Not here to troll... but I thought that a big feature of DLP RP technology was that ambient room lighting would have no effect on Black (or any) levels that the TV displayed. "Am I wrong?" audiofan1 says it makes his DLP appear as though it's floating, but that doesn't really answer the question of whether or not bias lighting helps black levels.

Your answer is in the linked article in post #3.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/20894192

I've been trying to find a 6500 led rope light. I don't like using a random bulb.

The LED rope lights I have tested, that claimed to be 6500K, were way too blue. They measured between 8000K and 16000K. There appears to a pattern with Chinese LED manufacturers where they call anything that looks to be bluish white as "6500K." All so-called "native white" LEDs are actually bluish white. You can see them commonly featured in solar path lights in most neighborhoods. LEDs with lower color temperatures must add either yellow phosphor in the diode capsules or place a yellow filter over them to make them less blue. The yellow filtering is showing up in hardware stores on LED screw in light bulb replacement products.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan /forum/post/20894296

Its the way I have the lights positioned and with the thin bezel around the tv, under the stand and my dark wall behind. As I stated before I turn them off when watching movies. Casual tv watching I have them on as it does however lessen eye strain and if they where or are dimmable I would use them for movies! At the right degrees and output, it can enhance back levels and contrast

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Light Bias help with DLP black levels?

It doesn't hurt.

I had a Panasonic CRT-based rear projection set that had real black levels: the kind that if the screen went all black, you couldn't see your way around the darken room if you tried to move around. My brother just sold that HDTV for $200 after 11 years of use and it's still going strong.

When I was reading up on DLP back in the day, it was stated here in the forums that DLP black-levels were better than that of LCD (at the time) and only Plasma was better.

I ended up getting Samsung's first LED based DLP rear-projection HDTV. The black levels were perhaps darker than the current crop of LCD's at the time but they were way brighter than the CRT-based set. I was in the service menu right away trying to "fix" it until I finally learned that was as black and the black levels were going to be with DLP. Only a few years later, LCD black levels (on mid to higher end models) got darker and darker.

I too got to reading about bias lighting and put me a light in the back of the HDTV. Like I said, it doesn't hurt. It's not a cure or anything either. It's better than being in a complete darken room I was using like I had before with CRT.

It took me quite some time to get use to DLP black-levels such as they are. But I did eventually get use to them. Every now and again I'm reminded of them, especially with horror movies.

I got a 73" Mitsubishi that had about the same black levels. Then I got the 92" Mitsubishi with it's high contrast (yet reflective) screen and the contrast and black levels do indeed seem to be a touch better. Still rocking the back bias light though. As long as you know about the black levels going in it's not so bad.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/20895665

The LED rope lights I have tested, that claimed to be 6500K, were way too blue. They measured between 8000K and 16000K. There appears to a pattern with Chinese LED manufacturers where they call anything that looks to be bluish white as "6500K." All so-called "native white" LEDs are actually bluish white. You can see them commonly featured in solar path lights in most neighborhoods. LEDs with lower color temperatures must add either yellow phosphor in the diode capsules or place a yellow filter over them to make them less blue. The yellow filtering is showing up in hardware stores on LED screw in light bulb replacement products.

Hmm. Even the 65K bulb I used seemed a bit blue. I know I'd really like the rope more then a bulb though. Any local hardware store that sells rope that's close enough for what I need it for?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/20898206

Hmm. Even the 65K bulb I used seemed a bit blue. I know I'd really like the rope more then a bulb though. Any local hardware store that sells rope that's close enough for what I need it for?

I've been looking for the same thing for years and have not encountered any LED rope products that are actually near enough to 6500K for a video viewing environment. Every time I hear of one claiming to be the right color, I buy it for testing. It's frustrating and really pathetic how deceptive the claims are for products in the consumer lighting industry. I would love to have such a solution to offer my customers. Thus far, no success.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.