AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I recently moved into a new place and am trying to get my living room back to bat cave status.

What is the most aesthestically pleasing way to block reflective light from a white ceiling?

Now this is my living room, so adding some type of black overhang is going to probably look funny, but depends on what ideas there are here. I cannot paint the ceiling since I live in an apartment.

Any ideas are appreciated...

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
What kind of a screen do you have? Where is your projector mounted? A Dalite HP screen may give you a better picture than your current screen and solve the reflected light issues as well, if the environment is conducive for this screen material.

·
Registered
15,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have a Da-Lite most likely, still dealing with projector RMA's until I settle on which projector I am keeping. I will likely end up with an Epson 8500ub LCD and HP screen.

The projector is mounted low just above eye level (estimate 1.5 gain on the Da-Lite).

I still want a bat cave, Da-Lite or no Da-Lite, I want maximum ANSI contrast, not just ON/OFF... Just need ideas on covering the first few feet of the ceiling without it being too big of an eye-soar.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Triple black velvet is the best thing to use to eliminate reflection. You can find lots of info in the DIY screen area. I would suggest maybe another dark color velvet that goes with the room color and apply it to some lite weight substrate that could be attached to the ceiling without to much damage. Couple of dry wall screws...

Here is my hack .. using magnets on edge beading under the plaster and some small brads at the ceiling... 6 different pieces of velvet, but I take this down after each use...

Screen goes in hall lined up with the far side of the archway..

To tell you the truth. this was kind of a waste as far a PQ or contrast, it didn't really improve the picture much, but it prevents us from seeing the stairs which were really lit up by reflection prior to the project. The screen kind of just floats in the darkness now.

BTW I would move the projector down to get the max gain you can from the HP.. You will not regret it one bit!

Good luck!

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you have a smooth surface on your ceiling, try 3M command strips, as many as needed for load. You can use the supplied hooks, different hooks, or apply velcro or some type of mount to one side of command strip. You can use lightweight elmer's or equivalent foam board panels wrapped in fabric or material of choice. Then when you need to take it down later the ceiling should be perfectly intact!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts