AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a tube HDTV, and I will be hooking my Playstation 2 up to it. The problem is, some of my favorite games use a light gun... and the gun uses a composite video pass-through adapter, so it can get the signal timing. This seems to preclude the use of component video connections. I can always fall back to composite, but obviously I want the best picture possible. :)

Questions...

1. Can you even use a light gun in 480p? Luckily I know that one game in particular does support this (Time Crisis 2 with the GunCon2). I have no idea about other games. I suspect I will have to play them in composite video. (forum search seems to support that)

2. Does anyone sell a PS2 AV pack that provides component AND composite simultaneously? Seems like there must be a way to do this since TC2 claims to support 480p...

3. Can I get a timing signal to the gun by attaching its composite video pass-through to one of the component signals?

I'll be rounding up a cheapo component cable ASAP regardless, but if anyone has already tackled this... please post!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Time Crisis 2 does not support 480p as far as I know. It works on some TVs that support 480p, but it does not output video in 480p, like Tekken4 does.

I own Time Crisis 2, Vampire Night, Guncon2 (US), Guncon2 (Japan), and AV Adapter for PS2. I used to own only a 20" Toshiba flat screen TV with component video connections. I was able to use component video (480i)AND use Guncon2 thanks to the AV adapter.

Several months ago I bought a Sony 34XBR800 HDTV. The Guns do not work on this TV, even with the AV adapter. As far as I know, light guns only work on standard TVs - they don't work on progressive scan or high-def TVs. There are some rare exceptions - check http://www.namco.com/support/guncon.html for info on which EDTVs & HDTVs support the Guncon.

For now, I have both of my TVs next to each other. I play most games on my 34" HDTV, but for light gun games I play on my 20" SDTV. Thanks to the AV Adapter, I can output games to both TVs at once - the 34" TV gets component video, and the 20" TV gets S-video. The AV adapter lets you output component video, s-video, and composite video all at once. Pretty cool.

Pelican makes a lightgun that looks like some space-age phaser or something. I don't see it on their website, but I've seen it in stores like ebgames and gamestop. The box says it supports HDTV, but I'm not sure about that. I'm kinda skeptical - I suppose you can try to find one of those guns and try it out, then return it if it doesn't work on your HDTV.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.