Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any projectors out there that

- don't leak light around the image

- don't leak light through unused pixel elements (such as those above and below a widescreen image)?

I bought an InFocus LP530, projected it on my wall and was disappointed by both bright light around the image and the grey unused pixels (I sent it back). I looked at the Sony Cineza and saw the same thing.

I just want to see the movie, and nothing else.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have my LT81 in a home made wood hush box. The opening for the projected image is just big enough for the image plus a few inches. This kills almost all spill over, plus it's quiet.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If you don't like horizontal gray letterbox bars, you better get a 16:9 panel PJ (LCD and DLP both have 16:9 panels). This way you get thin bars with 2.35:1 and no bars with 16:9. Now to watch 4:3 you will get vertical pillars on both side of the smaller 4:3 inside the 16:9 panel. Another way is to mask the PJ to block light leakage with hushbox or cardboard and to mask the wall with black felt, flat paint, or velvet. You can make the masking removable by glueing the black cloth on styrofoam sheets that are held on screen with velcro.

Thin leakage around entire image border is called a halo and masking at wall around image is the easiest option. Custom masking at the DMD level using flat black sheet metal (to withstand the heat of the light) can be done which is not for the warranted PJ, non-techie, nor for the faint of heart. Thumper and KBK have done it and offer their service commercially to certain PJ.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so basically every projector suffers from this. On the one hand, that means that I shouldn't really knock a projector for it, compared to others. On the other hand, no projector should have this problem. Oh, well.

Oren

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
A wide panel projector would help somewhat...

The solution many people do is masking around the screen, whether electric ($$$) or velcro (a little more work :) )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.