AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my material today and some of the light passes through the image on to the rear wall. My concern is that this wall is a lightish yellow and I'm wondering how this will effect the projected image. Before I had a sheet up that let a lot of light through, the yellow tinge was obvious in the image. I can't really tell if the image is yellowish or not with the Dazian but in theory it should be effected to some degree right? should I put some sort of fabric behind it?? If yes, should it be black or white? I have heard a few people say that the fact that it lets some light through is beneficial but is this negated because the stupid back wall is yellowish.

I have a PanyL300, I am probably going to use the sheen side because I think I can see the texture from the other side, I could be imaging that but I'll look more in the next few days. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
the only "benefit" of letting light through a semi-transparent screen is if the image would be too bright otherwise. in general, you should try to absorb ALL of the light that passes through your semi-transparent screen, so an opaque black backing is the way to go. think of it this way: once the incoming light from the projector has been reflected from the surface of your screen towards the eyes of the audience, what possible good can come from the light that is reflected (or transmitted) elsewhere? if it is reflected onto a white ceiling, it will scatter back onto the screen. if it is transmitted through the screen surface onto a reflective surface behind it, it will scatter back onto the rear of the screen surface. in both cases, the effect is to "pollute" the image on the screen with unwanted, unfocused stray light. this is why theater ceilings and walls are black/dark.

one could argue that placing a first-surface mirror up against (i.e. in contact with) the rear of a semi-transparent screen surface will improve gain -- this is essentially how a high-gain screen works -- but any type of diffuse reflecting surface that is even a small distance behind the screen surface will reduce the contrast of your projected image.

rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
if the material is pretty close to being true black, it shouldn't make much difference where you put it. if it's snug against the back of the screen, you won't need to worry about any light spilling out the gap that's behind/around the screen. some of the things people here have used behind their screens include: flat black paint, black duvetyne (a.k.a. commando cloth), and black velvet. velvet is pricey, but it looks very elegant and "theater-like" when used for drapery/masking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am using the coated celtic cloth. I had painted the wall behind it grey and since I bought some duvetyne fabric for my border I thought I would hang it behind the screen. Made a HUGE difference for my HS10. I only had 2 staples left in my gun so I stapled the top two corners and it was just hanging down. If you have a dark material you can put behind it then give it a try before buying any material.

My screen is approximately 3 inches from wall.

My friend brought is Panny 300 over and was pleased with how it looked compared to his wall.

By the way. If it is the coated celtic cloth you bought. It is the smooth side you are supposed to have facing your projector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.