AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any other places to buy or how to build a lightbox for mylars. The one's i found are way to expensive. Thought about having someone build some for me but don;t know where to begin any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
This is how one guy did his diy mylar lightbox.

Also I think he didnt use real mylars, instead he printed the images using an inkjet printer.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gjones72/images/IM000308.JPG

Quote from the guy that made this light box:

"I basically used some cheap 1x2s from Lowe's (I believe they are sold as furring strips there). I made a basic frame from that and put a piece of masonite on the back. I took the flourescent bulb contacts from the lamp and mounted them in the box and ran all appropriate wires. For the front, I took a section of a flourescent fixture diffuser (the thin plexiglass-like sheet material used on most flourescent fixtures), put one light coat of white paint on it to help create a more uniform lighting effect. I then glued this piece to the wood frame. I found some white strips commonly used for joining sheets of masonite or wall board together. I made an outer frame from these, leaving the left side free to come off. And, as I said before, I used Adobe Photoshop to create the marquee sign and all the movie mylars. I printed them off on plain paper, then laminated them to give them some rigidity and to help in diffusing the light better.

I took some pictures last night of the sign with my new marquee, but left the camera at the house. I'll try to remember it at lunch and attach a picture or two for everyone to see.

As for the type of light that I used, it was an older desk lamp that my wife had found at a garage sale. She wasn't using it anymore, so I commenced to dissassembling it. It uses the small, 18" long flourescent lamps, much like those used in aquariums. I have a pair of the soft white kitchen and bath lights to help give it an even white glow."

If you want to order the latest movie mylars, go here:
http://www.moviemylars.com/

and/or
http://66.135.195.105/id=233365&ssPageName=L2

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Huff:

Don't want to get personal, but what is your budget? You could pay anywhere from $75 to $400 (for a double mylar) There are several options. First run a search using Mylar in this forum-there is a current thread on this topic, which should get you in the right direction.

As far as the movie mylars themselves-go to ebay. I wouldn't pay but a couple bucks for the large ones. With the exceptions being big name hits like Pirates or hard to find titles like Moulin Rouge.

Good Luck

Ron

PS: Before posting always run a search first. Most likely the topic has been addressed-so that is the quickest way to find an answer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanx for the reply's, i did do a search, i just thought maybe someone new or somebody else who forgot about the previous theards would come up with a idea on how to build a light box or where to buy 1. I went to target in my area and they didn't have any. I already have several mylars i just need something to put them in, i really not to talented in woodewoorking. Thanks again.

Jeremy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.