AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that PT is releasing "Lightbulb Sun" in dvd-a....available at the usual suspects(no plugging here!)...review, albeit brief, praises the effort and there seem to be some extra goodies as well....Has anyone out there have "Fear of a Blank Planet" in dvd-a...The cd is ripping good(music and quality) and I can't imagine the the surround version being less than spectacular..Enjoy! Or ignore if this is old news

·
Registered
273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbum /forum/post/14308094

I see that PT is releasing "Lightbulb Sun" in dvd-a....available at the usual suspects(no plugging here!)...review, albeit brief, praises the effort and there seem to be some extra goodies as well....Has anyone out there have "Fear of a Blank Planet" in dvd-a...The cd is ripping good(music and quality) and I can't imagine the the surround version being less than spectacular..Enjoy! Or ignore if this is old news

My only comment would be that you should get both of them as they are both excellent surround discs. (Then you will be up to speed.)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for any cobwebs...But could anyone recommend the best place to pick up FOABP and Lightbulb....checked Amazon and didn't find it...Appreciate it...

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbum /forum/post/14313876

Sorry for any cobwebs...But could anyone recommend the best place to pick up FOABP and Lightbulb....checked Amazon and didn't find it...Appreciate it...

Just search for "Porcupine Tree" for the Lightbulb Sun DVD-A/CD combo:

http://www.amazon.com/Lightbulb-Sun-.../dp/B0013URJTG

The FoaBP DVD-A is available directly from Burning Shed (the PTree official store):

http://www.burningshed.com/store/por...roduct/51/639/

shinksma

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Lightbulb Sun DVD-A has been getting extensive listening time from me since I got it a couple months ago. It is a great recording and mix. Anyone into surround music really should pick up all the PT dvd-a discs, they're among the best I own.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Process53 /forum/post/14313865

My only comment would be that you should get both of them as they are both excellent surround discs. (Then you will be up to speed.)

don't forget In Absentia and Deadwing, either...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch to Mr. Cold for the link/info...I will order over the weekend....I see Amazon also has a offer to buy 'bulb' along with 'Nil'...which is linked to FOAB??? Sounds good to me! Can't get e'nuff! Thanks again/much appreciated!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I personally recommend shopping "the shed" and I especially recommend "Deadwing". I can't seem to get over "Arriving Somewhere...". But that's a personal problem.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/14315555

don't forget In Absentia and Deadwing, either...

For sure. And Stupid Dream as well.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotguy8289 /forum/post/14322402

I personally recommend shopping "the shed" and I especially recommend "Deadwing". I can't seem to get over "Arriving Somewhere...". But that's a personal problem.

I got over Arriving Somewhere, and promptly got stuck on "Start of Something Beautiful". a bit of it is my ringtone

there's some amazing instrumental passages all over their albums

hey mtnbum.. got the Arriving Somewhere DVD yet? It's an awesome sounding concert disc

·
Registered
178 Posts
Boy do I feel ripped off. I ordered this disc direct from Burning Shed and while I was at Best Buy today they had four copies of the DVD-A.

I would not have never guessed BB would sell any DVD-A new releases.

Go figure. Needless to say the BB price was about $10 less.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieheels /forum/post/14326775

Boy do I feel ripped off. I ordered this disc direct from Burning Shed and while I was at Best Buy today they had four copies of the DVD-A.

I would not have never guessed BB would sell any DVD-A new releases.

Go figure. Needless to say the BB price was about $10 less.

Buying from Burning Shed did get you the disc early though, and if I remember there was an apology for the price being high for those in the US because of the poor exchange rate of the dollar. I wanted the disc early, and knew there was no guarantee Best Buy, etc would carry it so was willing to pay a bit more.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You have to look at it this way. You got it early, the band made money, which in turn will keep the flow coming - i.e. MORE DVD-Audio's from them.

It's not like there were a ton of other DVD-A's that you could have spent the $10 on. You could actually buy one of the BB discs, put it on eBay and list it for what you paid the Shed for yours, and it would probably sell. Then you'd be even.

These days, we have to be thankful for what we can get, at any reasonable, non-eBay inflated price. Besides, this is a GREAT disc.

:-jon

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
While I think the recording dynamics of Lightbulb Sun might be the best ever (PT release), I find the content somewhat underwhelming compared to the others. Each album has it's own feel and atmosphere, but LS is a step back from the strong songwriting and instrumental work of SD (though in the same vein) and IA was an evolutionary leap ahead. It's certainly pleasant to listen to, but it doesn't keep getting better (for me) like the rest of their work.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Lightbulb Sun, IMHO, is a very introspective album. I think there is a lot of SW's personal emotion in those songs. I realize everything he writes has some level of his personal experiences and personality in it, but this album seems very close to the core. More bitterness than any other album, and a fair amount of melancholy. Add a bit of wistfulness, and I think we have a very "down" album, but not angry.

Stupid Dream has some bitterness and angst to it as well (Pure Narcotic, This is No Rehearsal, A Smart Kid), but has a few "upbeat" (or at least neutral-story-telling toned) songs like Stranger by the Minute and Baby Dream in Cellophane.

SD seems to have elements of a relationship not going too well (Pure Narcotic, Don't Hate Me, Slave Called Shiver), while LS is post-breakup. Of course, I have no idea what was really happening in SW's life, and I would hate to draw too many conclusions...

It's been very interesting hearing the evolution of PTree over the years. As each album gets released, it seems that the musical and lyrical styles change constantly ("evolving"), never the same as the previous album, yet not impossible to connect (perhaps SD and LS are the closest pair).

I think that might be what I find so fascinating about PTree: like Floyd, you never know what the next album is going to sound like until you hear it... (well, unless you saw the songs live before release, and what the heck do I know about what it was like with new Floyd albums - I wasn't old enough to see/care about "new Pink Floyd LP!" on the record racks until The Wall came out.)

shinksma

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, Mr. Cold...I do have the 'ARIVING" DVD....amazing..(and stupid dream as well). I'm on the west coast and will jump at the chance to see them for myself if the chance ever 'arrives'(pun). Also have Deadwing and Absentia in surround as well. I was impressed by their live performance and they sure do kick the crap out of a lot of bands that can't cut the mustard once they are no longer in the confines of a recording studio..I have young nieces and nephews in the teenage years and they look at me with a blank stare when I mention PT...then I smack them upside the head and scream "well, you should! It's your generation for crying out loud!" It's all good.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma /forum/post/14337741

Lightbulb Sun, IMHO, is a very introspective album. I think there is a lot of SW's personal emotion in those songs. I realize everything he writes has some level of his personal experiences and personality in it, but this album seems very close to the core. More bitterness than any other album, and a fair amount of melancholy. Add a bit of wistfulness, and I think we have a very "down" album, but not angry.

Stupid Dream has some bitterness and angst to it as well (Pure Narcotic, This is No Rehearsal, A Smart Kid), but has a few "upbeat" (or at least neutral-story-telling toned) songs like Stranger by the Minute and Baby Dream in Cellophane.

SD seems to have elements of a relationship not going too well (Pure Narcotic, Don't Hate Me, Slave Called Shiver), while LS is post-breakup. Of course, I have no idea what was really happening in SW's life, and I would hate to draw too many conclusions...

It's been very interesting hearing the evolution of PTree over the years. As each album gets released, it seems that the musical and lyrical styles change constantly ("evolving"), never the same as the previous album, yet not impossible to connect (perhaps SD and LS are the closest pair).

I think that might be what I find so fascinating about PTree: like Floyd, you never know what the next album is going to sound like until you hear it... (well, unless you saw the songs live before release, and what the heck do I know about what it was like with new Floyd albums - I wasn't old enough to see/care about "new Pink Floyd LP!" on the record racks until The Wall came out.)

shinksma

nice writeup!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Question for anyone here that owns the DVD-A version of In Absentia... how do you find the sound quality to be?

I just started getting into PT and gobbled up all of their multichannel releases. Not only do I listen to them on my home system, but also in my Acura TL, which has DVD-A surround capabilities. As much as I loved the CD version of In Absentia, it pains me to say that the recording quality for the DVD-A is awful. The detail is there, and the use of the surrounds is tasteful but it is sooooo BRIGHT and HARSH, especially during the heavier electric riffs. It literally hurts my ears. The bass is also anemic. Compare this to the DVD-A version of Stupid Dream, and I find it very frustrating. Anyone agree?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff442 /forum/post/14360806

Question for anyone here that owns the DVD-A version of In Absentia... how do you find the sound quality to be?

I just started getting into PT and gobbled up all of their multichannel releases. Not only do I listen to them on my home system, but also in my Acura TL, which has DVD-A surround capabilities. As much as I loved the CD version of In Absentia, it pains me to say that the recording quality for the DVD-A is awful. The detail is there, and the use of the surrounds is tasteful but it is sooooo BRIGHT and HARSH, especially during the heavier electric riffs. It literally hurts my ears. The bass is also anemic. Compare this to the DVD-A version of Stupid Dream, and I find it very frustrating. Anyone agree?

I can't say I have found it overly bright and harsh, but it is was the first surround mix done for a PTree album, and maybe SW has learned to refine things compared to IA, which was an Elliot Scheiner mix.

I should have a re-listen (it's been a while - too many other things to enjoy!), to see whether it does have more harshness than optimum.

shinksma

1 - 20 of 29 Posts