AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had near miss last night during storm and Mits STB is now unable to access Dish or OTA antenna thru the "satellite in" on rear of box. I am able to access OTA HD broadcast if I switch RF lead to "in from antenna" input in rear of box. No problem obtaining cable 8vsb thru same input. Had DirecTV people here - said that signal strong (all three LNB's - 101,110,119) from oval dish - they had spare Hughes STB (non HD) with them and were able to verify sat. reception - however, said that something must have been fried last evening during the storm on the "sat in" input.

I have tried everything, as did the installer - who, btw, is a friend. His only suggestion was a new STB - would have to get Hughes 86 as Mits no longer makes one. However, i know that a new generation of boxes is around the corner - therefore, I am looking for any suggestions to try to get the current box to work.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Given your situation, the only thing that springs to mind is to send the "toasted" STB in for repair. The repair costs usually run in the $150 dollar range based upon various posts I have seen. What about your Home Owners insurance. Would it cover the repair?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Do you know anyone who is an electronics tinkerer? Often times in a situation like this is a simple fix like a blown diode or capacitor in the power system. Depending on where it is it might be obvious and fixable.

I had a lightining strike take out a memory module (power surge) and it was very obvious what the problem was. However, it was a surface mount component (fried diode) on a $50 module so I bought a new module.

If the warrentee is still in effect tinkering would void it but if the alternative is paying for a fix anyway you might not have much to loose.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
An excellant case for the use of DC block/power injectors at or near the LNBs. How well grounded is the dish and the coax lines? a direct strike will ALWAYS kill everything, but static build up can be an insidious cause of failure that is relativly easy to prevent via grounding and DC blocking.

In the case of a hughes or one of its many clones (mitsu being one) I would suspect that the steering diode in the internal diplexer received PIV above its rating and burnt out. Nominal PIV on susch a diode is about 50 Volts @ 50 mA, a really good static charge for a few microseconds would well exceed theses limits.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DTC mac
An excellant case for the use of DC block/power injectors at or near the LNBs. How well grounded is the dish and the coax lines? a direct strike will ALWAYS kill everything, but static build up can be an insidious cause of failure that is relativly easy to prevent via grounding and DC blocking.
Could you expand on that a bi? We had a long lightening storm at 5:00AM and I kept dreaming that the Sat box was blowing up based on this post.

Sounds like maybe if he sent you the STB you would tinker it back to health eh? Would that type of failure result in a char mark on the PCB where the diode used to be? My first real job I accidentally dead shorted a diode bridge in a lab (120AC to ground). Quite an impressive charred cicyut board I must say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.