AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody linked their DVD player to their lighting system. ?i.e. When play, pause and stop buttons are pressed the lights are adjusted to pre set luminance. Want to investigate this but can't find any good web sources as yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You can do this quite simply with a Phillips Pronto style remote or similar type that runs macros. You just program the macro so that when you press play, pause, etc, it also triggers which lighting scene you want...

If you need further information, do a search on Lightolier Compose, Grafik Eye, and I think Leviton has a multi zone, multi scene system too, but I can't remember the name.

Good Luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
I only have a few macro buttons on my remote, but I do use the lighting in them. Macro 1 turns everything on in the room including lights. Macro 2 will play the movie and dim the lights, macro 3 is the potty break button, pause and raise lights to a dim level, 4 is off on everything. If you have an IR compatible lighting controller its very easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Had a look at the Grafix Eye but works out really expensive . I think its a bit overkill to what i want to do. Ron thats exactly all i want to do with mine .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try the Lightolier Compose system, much much cheaper than the Grafik Eye. I am installing this system in my theater due to it being recommended highly on this forum...

This is where I got mine
http://www.worthdist.com/

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I am looking for a graphic of somebody that has been "holding it" for a long time and is on the verge of "crying yellow tears", so I can make a button on my Pronto to do just what you guys are talking about.

Anyone have anything?

·
Registered
163 Posts
LOL, You could always use the Calvin peeing on the graphic! If you find something post it!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I do this via macros with my home automation system. I have four modes:

1. Theater Macro: turns on all HT A/V equipment, switches to DVD player 1
  2. Begin Movie Macro: dims theater area lighting to preset levels, turns off all other lighting in surrounding rooms, starts DVD playing
  3. Intermission Macro: pauses DVD player, brings theater area lighting back up to 100%, turns on master bath, guest bath & kitchen lights
  4. Resume Movie Macro: turns off lights in master bath, guest bath & kitchen, dims lighting back to preset levels in theater area & resumes DVD playback[/list=1]

I use the following:
    • Dedicated Home Automation PC Server
    • HomeSeer Home Automation software
    • Ocelot Interface for IR & Lighting control
    • Xantec IR emitters for all components in A/V closet
    • PCS X-10 Decora wall switches
    • X-10 IR543- receiver for IR to X-10 control
    • RS 15-1994 IR remote

It works very well and I can also utilize voice control, yet it is not 100% accurate as the background sounds can sometimes have an effect. The IR control however is 100% accurate.

Definitely a 'cool' factor for guests & I enjoy it as well!

Sonicflood

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Using a Niles Intellicontrol and a Grafik Eye here is part of what I have set up.

(REMOTE BUTTON PRESS)

MOVIE TIME

· I load a DVD that is formatted in 2.35:1. I choose the appropriate masking selection switch.

· (INTRO) All appropriate gear is powered up and audio / video input selections occur via the programming. The room lights dim to mid level. Then my Intro DVD plays its “Welcome to the Stargate†introduction “Oscar Night†opening chapter without masking.

· (DVD) selects my Movie DVD player. All appropriate gear is powered up and audio / video input selections occur via the programming. The room lights dim to mid level if not already dimmed. Then the DVD launches.

· (Menu – DVD) I set the Audio choice from the DVD menu. My 1st generation Sony 7000 does not automatically seek the DD 5.1 track.

· (Play – DVD) The lights dim to OFF with only the steps lit. The masking rolls into place as needed and the movie begins to play.

BREAK TIME

· (Pause – DVD) The DVD pauses, lights come to mid level, masking rolls out, and the Intro DVD Intermission chapter begins.

RETURN TO THE MOVIE - Here I have two paths, two choices.

· (Record – DVD)* The Intro DVD plays it’s “ Now back to our feature presentation “ chapter. Then the lights dim to OFF with only the steps lit. The masking rolls into place and the movie begins to play.

OR

· (Play – DVD) The lights dim to OFF with only the steps lit. The masking rolls into place and the movie begins to play.

· The (Record – DVD) remote key was an unused key, since you can’t record DVD’s within the gear in my system.

MOVIE ENDING

· (Stop – DVD) The DVD stops, lights come to mid level, masking rolls out, and the Intro DVD “We hope you enjoyed tonight’s feature presentation.†chapter begins.

SHUTDOWN SYSTEM

· (System Off) Room lighting returns to full on. The audio gear returns to a preset level of –32db. All operating gear is powered off.

Well that’s a taste of some of the capabilities I have been able to incorporate. It's been well worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
Here's the process I use with Crestron and Grafik Eyes.

1. System On - Lights to full on, curtains open, all equipment powered up.

2. System Off - Lights ramp to full on, curtains close, equipment off.

3. Button 1 on GE is programmed to All On.

4. Button 2 on GE is programmed to "Intermission Lighting with a 5 second ramp.

5. Button 3 on the GE is programmed to "Movie" lighting with a 5 second ramp.

6. All "Play" buttons: execute "Play" on the device and ramp the lights to the "movie" scene.

7. All "Pause" and "Stop" buttons execute the approprate device function and ramp the lights to the "Intermission" scene.

8. For Sat/OTA, selecting the source will display the page for that device and ramp the lights to "Movie".

9. Each page of the Crestron touch panel has Volume and Mute controls as well as a pop-up for lighting and curtain control (in the event you want to override the defaults.

I would imagine pretty much any programmable remote (Niles, Lexicon, Pronto, etc.) could be programmed this way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.