AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out a way to have all lighting hidden like speakers and rope lighting is done in our theaters but need design assistance/opinions/help. I'm going to attach pictures here way the bottom text will make a little better sense.

I currently have 8 in ceiling flush mounted can lights like many of us and also have lighting directly in front of my screen in soffit that is pointing down towards screen and screen back lighting that throws the light onto the LCRs but am planning on covering the entire room with panels so need a way for lights to penetrate through fabric. My concern is heat but other than that I don't see any hazards to worry about.

I've thought of using grow light reflectors/coral fish tank reflectors/ or make some sort of reflectors but don't know how well that will work. I don't want it to look like a circle of lit up fabric but rather like a dispersed presentation which will make the room sort of glow. I hope that makes a little sense or enough sense to get the subject started. I'd really like the room to glow a blueish color so maybe a tinted piece of film/glass may need to be used as like a lens to match the rope lighting blue color.

I'm going for a Dolby AMC type of look mixed with one of Cineramax's designs ( I need to ask his approval out of curtesy and hopefully he will add some advice).

I am attaching links of both looks that I would like to kind of merge into my room. My first thought is to use aluminum skeleton framing with panels being attached to that via Velcro way I can add speakers/mounts when add more channels over time. So basically my current room drywall/soffit shell doesn't matter and will place acoustic panels all over the place which will be covered. There will be a lot of space separating the main shell and the skeleton frame in quite a few places. I'll try to design the skeleton shell to have multiple deep hollow spaces where eventual Atmos/X/Auro speakers can be placed.

Any and all ideas on how to make the rooms panels seem to glow would be greatly appreciated. I've considered leaving some slits like in the Dolby ceiling lighting as that would certainly be the easiest but that's a last resort.

Another plan is to use the panels to hide rope/tape lights in spaces between the panels like the black space in the last few pics where there is space between the panels. If I went this route my concern is finding a brand that I can connect to each other so that I don't have multiple outlets all ran together way controlling them is easy.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
For the fabric panel down lighting, why not just use LED tape lighting? You could recess the LED tape lighting into a routed grove in the
bottom of the fabric panel, and staple the fabric. A U shaped aluminum channel, could then be screwed in, and the LED tape lighting installed in it.
Step lighting could be done in the same manner. Even simpler if the step edge is wood.

You want to hide the ceiling spots behind fabric? That IMAX room puts the lighting in troughs in the ceiling. As for what Peter is up to, I'd ask. I could see
where those seams might hide LED tape lighting or some wire style lighting. The second photo I attached, seems to have that sort of lighting, in the columns.

iDigital uses spot LED spots to reflect off his screen.

Do you really want lighter colored panels in a home theater? Light coming off the screen might very well light them up. If you are after video performance,
do you even really need to worry about seeing the spots? The last 2 pictures are of The Cave, and those spots when off, are barely visible (av rack photo).

Attachments

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Electroluminescent Wire or Neon wire might be what is in that column, and it might very well be behind acrylic, as a diffuser.

Art Install does all kinds of interesting things with lighting. Stealthy to outright bold.

http://www.artinstall.ru/en/

If you have some height to drop the ceiling as a lighting cloud, you could do LED down lighting at the cloud perimeter, to light the
panels, a la Art Install's Bauhaus.

http://www.artinstall.ru/en/projects/Bauhaus

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,404 Posts
back lit printed fabric signs have been around for some time, I think if you do some research along that avenue you will turn up framing and lighting systems that you may be able to imitate with DIY materials. It is big in the trade booth industry.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the fabric panel down lighting, why not just use LED tape lighting? You could recess the LED tape lighting into a routed grove in the
bottom of the fabric panel, and staple the fabric. A U shaped aluminum channel, could then be screwed in, and the LED tape lighting installed in it.
Step lighting could be done in the same manner. Even simpler if the step edge is wood.

You want to hide the ceiling spots behind fabric? That IMAX room puts the lighting in troughs in the ceiling. As for what Peter is up to, I'd ask. I could see
where those seams might hide LED tape lighting or some wire style lighting. The second photo I attached, seems to have that sort of lighting, in the columns.

iDigital uses spot LED spots to reflect off his screen.

Do you really want lighter colored panels in a home theater? Light coming off the screen might very well light them up. If you are after video performance,
do you even really need to worry about seeing the spots? The last 2 pictures are of The Cave, and those spots when off, are barely visible (av rack photo).
Thanks for some tips!

As far as the color I absolutely do not want any light colored panels. My room is 100% black except for the screen fabric and want the backlit lights to be the only non dark objects in the room. I'm thinking charcoal panels to really dark grey with blue LED tape which will have some sort of elements incorporated that will make the panels seem to glow is all.

And yes I am thinking the troughs would still be easiest and possibly best looking too so might just have to settle unless can really find a way to disperse the back lights enough to make the ceiling panels glow and not just highlight the outside edges of them.

I already have step lights and don't want any more light on them as they are perfect for watching one's feet if need to navigate during a movie while on the lowest setting from my grafikeye.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Electroluminescent Wire or Neon wire might be what is in that column, and it might very well be behind acrylic, as a diffuser.

Art Install does all kinds of interesting things with lighting. Stealthy to outright bold.

If you have some height to drop the ceiling as a lighting cloud, you could do LED down lighting at the cloud perimeter, to light the

Yea I really like some of their setups. Nice and modern and pretty close to exactly where I'm wanting my build to go. Thanks for the link!

The carbon room is really cool but would be kind of a bit to reflective since the top coat on the panels is glossy. A matte finish carbon room would be kool but way too hard for me sine I want all the panels to hide speakers and diffusers/absorption panels etc...

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if going at this from my screen would be easier. Like what if I had really bright blue lights all around the screen facing towards it at random angles if I could bounce enough off the screen to highlight the panels I want to stick out?

Keep in mind I only want these lights for the welcome setting on the grafikeye. Once the movie starts only my tiny step lights will be on lowest setting.

Would this be possible? They would have to reflect the light all the way back 28' or so to the rear. They would be really easy to hide in troughs along the 3-5' section nearest the screen and wouldn't even be able to be seen unless were standing over/beside them looking the opposite way of the trough's angle.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
back lit printed fabric signs have been around for some time, I think if you do some research along that avenue you will turn up framing and lighting systems that you may be able to imitate with DIY materials. It is big in the trade booth industry.

I'll have to search that just to get an idea what all types of materials the fabrics are made of since I need all fabric to be acoustical.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Omg! I spent at least 3 hours late last night/early this morning looking at all their HT builds. I can confidently say that I've never seen as many technically detailed and marvelously designed rooms as theirs. It's going to take me a lot longer than I thought to draw up my room after seeing so many creative ideas they have used. Obviously I don't have the budget to do some of the elements they incorporate with special acoustical mouldings but many elements are certainly possible to DIY with a lot of patience and time.

I'll have to really study some of my favorite elements from some of my favorite rooms and gather a bunch of images together for everyone to help me incorporate/fabricate into my space. My cpu with autocad and revit has been shut down for a few years but will have to get it set back up so I can do detailed drawings to scale. My wife has been so glad I put it in a closet since I had it setup in the living room on my recliner's coffee table.

The lighting products I've been looking at are going to be the biggest issue. I really like the tape LED but all the power supply and extra wiring needed for each 16' section will make it really complicated for me to incorporate them since I have 6 homeruns already ran to my 6 zone GE. But I do have full access above the room if it comes down to running new wires. I was originally planning on the standard soffit rope lighting behind moulding so all I have is an outlet in the soffit ran to the GE lol. That's not going to cut it when I look at how complicated the LED tape type strips are to link together. I wish I could just find a product similar to the tape strip LEDs that are extendable without power for each ~16' section.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...onstruction/1262117-ht-utopia-up-running.html Pm iDigital and get his opinion
on how well the screen bounce lighting of his, works? His is a 11x16' room though.

Why not just use the flat led tape lights that come on a reel, and cut to size? And is any wiring really all the difficult to run, when everything is covered with fabric
panels? 120v wiring could be enclosed in surface run conduit.

Another though is to do panel lighting like the JBL demo room.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Lighting behaves in specific ways. It needs direct line of sight or a surface to bounce off of, or translucent surface to diffuse through, if you want illumination. Unfortunately, exactly what you DO want to bounce of diffuse the light is exactly what you DON'T want in a theater. Ironically, for exactly the same reason. To be effective at being seen, it has to reflect or transmit light. If it reflects or transmits light, it also has the potential to wash out your screen.

Bouncing light off of dark colored panels, or diffusing it through dark colored panels just doesn't work well. The panels that BIG pointed out are quite effective. The same effect is used frequently in stage presentation, but usually with light colored fabric. Dark colored fabrics can be used in curtains, backdrops and other staging elements, but to get any "bounce" off of it, it typically needs very bright stage lighting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts