AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In wiring my Basement and HT, I have a question about the electrical rough-in prior to inspection.

For my Outlets, I've run my romex to each box, and made up each box (minus the actual duplex outlet). For outlets, that means the grounds are twisted together, with a pigtail ground for the outlet and the hots/neutrals are stripped and ready to terminate. I did this on the advice of the inspector.

For my non-HT lights, I've run my romex to the switches and to the ceiling fixtures. I've made up the switch boxes, twisting all grounds and all neutrals, together, and stripping the hot, ready for termination. Same for the ceiling fixtures.

Now, here's my dilema. The above two installations were easy because all the boxes and fixtures existed. But what do I do about my HT lighting circuits which will all eminate from a 4 gang box with a 3106 Grafik Eye.

(These are all one breaker, but for simplicity, I'll describe them as separate circuits from the Grafik Eye)

Circuit One - Can Lights in Side and Rear Soffits. The soffits won't be constructed and installed until after the perimeter drywall is installed which won't be until after the electrical rough in inspection. So what do I do with the romex for each can? Run to an approximate location leaving plenty of excess, twist in a loop, or cut and twist the individual ends together, or what?

Circuit Two - Can Lights in Front Soffit - Same Deal

Circuit Three - Sconces on Wall. I plan on using Drywall boxes for the sconces, since there aren't studs in every location that I want to add sconces. So, once again, the boxes won't exist until after the drywall is up. Do I just run romex to the approximate location again, leaving plenty of twisted slack?

Circuit Four - Perimeter Ceiling Rope Light - How are you connecting rope light into a circuit...Installing an outlet and plugging in, or nutting inside a junction box? The perimeter won't exist until the soffiting is up.

Circuit Five - Riser Rope Light - Same Deal

Circuit Six - Screen Back Lighting Rope Lighting - Same Deal

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
641 Posts
To make this post quick I will suggest that you use Dennis E.'s two box method. Do a search and you will find all you need. I just completed my wiring and would not have been able to do it without the second 4 gang "junction box". A search will get you everything from detailed directions to pictures.

Good luck!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm not an electrician, I'm just a DIY but I'll take a stab:

I think the cans are part of the rough-in for inspection, since the cans contain the connection boxes. I would think you should install the cans, and pull the romex to the can and strip for inspection. Otherwise, the inspector will not be able to see if you are pulling the cable into the box correctly. If you must wait until soffit construction, you may technically have to have an additional inspection. Schmooze the inspector :D

As for rope lights, most are using a standard outlet receptacle on a dimmer. There has been discussion on whether this is code or not. I don't know what the NEC says. If you do go this route, you will definitely want to label the outlet as "dimmed" and put it in a location where people are not likely to plug appliances in to it. You will damage motors using a dimmed plug.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by E. Martin
To make this post quick I will suggest that you use Dennis E.'s two box method. Do a search and you will find all you need. I just completed my wiring and would not have been able to do it without the second 4 gang "junction box". A search will get you everything from detailed directions to pictures.

Good luck!
E.,

I think the two box method more applies to

A) getting all the wires in a box and

B) combining LV with 120V

I'm more concerned with what's happening outside the box at the fixture end. But thanks for taking time to respond :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Run the wire close to where the fixtures will be. Staple (using electrical wire staples) the wire to a stud near this point. Leave the wire pointing out into the living space so the drywallers will know to cut a hole to poke the wire through. (This is commonly done with fluorescent fixtures).

For the rope light, I prefer to use an outlet.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks sandpiper....Where at in NC...I'm in Apex (I assume from your name you are at the coast).

I called the inspector to see what he said...He recommended that I call them out for an inspection of my outlets, then put the drywall and soffiting up, install the can lights, and call them out again for a second rough inspection.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I figured out that I had answered a question that had not actually been asked after hitting submit. Looks like you are well taken care of. Also looks like you will have this project done in an amazingly short window or time!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.