AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm just beginning the search for a projector (my first) and am wondering about the all important ambient light. The phrase is thrown out there constantly with little explanation.

When watching a movie, do you have zero ambient light, ie. watching in pure darkness? Even theatres have a little light.

I quess what I'm asking is, what kind of lighting do you use for optimal viewing and where abouts are they situated?

·
Registered
61 Posts
theater dark is fine. my room is light controled. but a small amount of light has no affect. i think most are talking about windows and how lit your living room is.

·
Registered
248 Posts
From my own personal experience:

-HD72 mounted 9.5' from a 73" diagnal screen.

-I have a matte white screen so probably the worst for ambient light.

-Pale green walls.

-I have sliding glass doors about 6 Ft. from my screen and they are covered by verticals. So during the day I do have a lot of diffused lighting in the room.

Daytime viewing for me is limited to sports which still look really good and have plenty of contrast and pop. If I try to watch a Television show like Law and Order or CSI or anything that has a lot of dark scenes it is tough and I get a noticeably washed out pictures.

Night viewing I always have all the lights in my house off and the picture is awesome. Their is quite a bit of ambient light reflecting off my walls from the light bouncing off the screen. I dont have the bat cave that many people on the forums strive for. I do like being married after all
As long as I dont turn lights on that directly hit the screen the image is still great.

Darker the better but you will still get a very nice image with less than perfect conditions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts