Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looking for lighting ideas. I'm a visual learner so pictures help:D

I have a limited number of spots for recessed lighting. And seeing as recessed lights are sometimes frowned upon I was thinking bi-wire low voltage might be the way to go. :confused:

Artistic design is not my strong suit so I'm looking for some examples for inspiration. I've browsed 1000's of sites and just haven't found anything focusing on lighting.

Any help is appreciated. :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
good question. I am in the planning stages, with construction to begin in about a month. I'll be building a room-in-a-room setup and wanted to avoid the problems associated with can lights.

I was considering the under cabinet halogen 'pucks' recessed within the first layer of sheetrock. However these are only 20w, and as such I would need allot of them!

Looking for ideas as well....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Two-rocks, what are the problems associated with can lights?

My room is currently under construction, and my former home theater (in my previous house) had recessed lighting. I never had any complaints with it, and was planning on putting them in the new room.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you haven't seen it, the September Home Theater Builder magazine is primarily about lighting options and planning. Lots of pic.s -bd

·
Registered
645 Posts
I am a big fan of the two wires you span from wall to wall and on which you clip directly all kinds of halogen bulbs. The only thing you must watch out for is that they are on a different circuit than your gear, as the trafo and dimmer -should you have one- might interfere and induce noise.

These little lamps are very versatile. You get different wattages (20 is already much brighter than a regular bulb). The wires also go around corners and you can adjust the spots to where you need them. It's easy to install, uninstall and reinstall if you move.

I also think that floorlamps flooding the ceiling with light in the corners look quite monumental. Those can be had very inexpensively and are also dimmable.

For effect lights fiberglass fluorescent lights and rope lights are nice. Maybe even a neon sign or a retro-illuminated poster box (those I've seen around 170$).

Till

·
Registered
766 Posts
Light is measured in lumens. Watts are a measure of power consumed by the light fixture.

Halogen is a very bright white source of light, much more efficient than the standard old incandescent. I don't have a comparison chart, but your 20 Watt halogen light will put out possibly as much light as a 60 Watt incandescent, at 1/3 the power consumption.

If your room colors are going to be dark, you'll need more lumens than if you go with a lighter color room. Consider dimmable step illumination lights, or rope lighting under the lip of the riser to help people find their way, without having to light up the entire room.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mike0221
Two-rocks, what are the problems associated with can lights?

My room is currently under construction, and my former home theater (in my previous house) had recessed lighting. I never had any complaints with it, and was planning on putting them in the new room.
Can lights can rattle, unless some prep work goes into them prior to installation. Additionally, they are an acoustic hole - the smallest leak [could] negate the efforts I plan on putting into sound deadening.

I do like the clean look of can lights, however. In my last HT room I had bi-wire DC halogen lights. 6 at 20w each put out plenty of light (combined with other lighting). The WAF was low however.

·
Registered
766 Posts
For can lights, if you have attic space above, you can build an oversized box of MDF to put over each can, and caulk it to the sheetrock. This will keep the room much more airtight, and minimize bass excursions outside the room.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've looked at some under cabinet type lighting flush and recessed. None of it was IC rated (direct contact with insulation). What is the lowest profile reaccessed IC light available (any voltage) ?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Art,

The site you provided didn't have a spec sheet. What is the physical size of that particular light including housing and junction box. Is it IC rated?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
two-rocks,

WOW thats what I've been looking for! Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.