AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of theater design and I will likely have a double 5/8" sound isolated (ISOMAX, RSIC) ceiling. That being so, I want to avoid any ceiling holes/penetrations to eliminate noise paths. That eliminated recessed lights (could do with great effort).

So how about the following as depicted in the attachment.

1)Form 1" deep tray ceiling by attaching 12" wide perimeter of 1"MDF or otherwise around room. Any other material suggestions?

2)Within perimeter, attach 1/2" panels to ceiling with fiber through them for star ceiling (define path for fiber to exit room in hidden routed channel in MDF against ceiling). What should I use for panel? Potentially a rigid foam product covered with black fabric, ceiling tile material painted black, 1/2" MDF? Lightweight would be good in this application. Of course, the seams between panels will likely be visible - maybe could hide screws under fabric. Any suggestions?

3)Against remaining perimeter edge, mount white LED Neon - this is expensive, but appears to have a relatively high light output unlike LED rope light.

4)Room will also have wall sconces on separate channels for those near screen (off during movie) and those near seating (on low during movie).

Please comment.

db

theater ceiling light.pdf 20.80078125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
db,

how about simple track lights?

Also I see halogen lights about 1 inch thick. How about using a row of these?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would use puck lights. Route a channel in the MDF for the wire, use aluminum tape to keep the wire inside the channel. Be sure to secure the wire with electric rated caulk or foam. Place the transformers inside the columns or another accessible spot.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
OK, the puck lights came up in this thread...
LED/Low Voltage cabinet lighting -anyone used it?

I engaged, but nobody responded. Some seem to think that low-voltage stuff like undercabinet puck lighting would somehow not be up to code... which doesn't really make sense to me. I had kind of decided to do track lighting based on that sentiment, but now it has me thinking again...

Anybody know for sure? I'm really interested.

SC

·
Registered
417 Posts
You could put bare wire inside a wall as long as it is insulated/isolated from flammable materials. The question is, will your insurance company cover risky wiring in the event of a fire? No.

I didn't recommend that DB put the wire behind the sheetrock. Rather, I suggested he chased the wire through channels in his flush 1" tray.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any thought on the LED Neon for ambient light?

Will I even need it?

Anyone think I will need more ambient light than 6 (3 on each sidewall) sconces, 60W?

Perhaps just these sconces and the star ceiling for effect would be enough?

Maybe also a LV micro-track (under cabinet style with tiny PAR style heads) for the stage lighting. (screen is very near ceiling so I have very little clearance near the screen).

db

·
Registered
417 Posts
How big is your theater, any pics?

You can achieve dramatic effects with wall washes and up lights. Remember to add a light or two for when you have to do a little maintenance. Other than that, the sconces should be plenty of light.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Theater will be 13x19; see attached proposed basement floorplan (unfinished now - but walls to utility and storage room are existing).

Planned lighting channels are:

1)Sidewall Sconces mid and rear (4 x 60W)

2)Sidewall Sconces front (2 x 60w)

3)Star Ceiling (8'x10')

4)Footwells near riser steps

5)Stage lighting (linear system hidden behind 1"high fascia trim - full 8' - 10' wide)

db

·
Registered
14 Posts
How high is your ceiling? Seems like a possible solution is to put a soffit around the perimeter of your room (after drywalling the ceiling and walls, of course) and mount recessed lights in those. They have all those gimbal type lights, etc that could allow you to point the lights towards the middle rest of the room. There are low profile lights that don't extend quite as high.

http://www.lightolier.com/index.jsp?...54&B=363&C=365

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oops - left out critical info on ceiling.

Finished height will be 7'5. With a 11" riser, that gives the second row a 6'6" ceiling - don't want to go any lower than this, so that basically rules out soffits....unless you have some other suggestions.

Code in my area is 7'0" for basement ceilings and 6'6" for soffits; hopefully my local bld. inspector will view the second row as equivalent to being under a soffit.

Once the design is done, I intend to review with local authorities...

db

·
Registered
417 Posts
In a 13 x 19 x 7 space - sconces will give you plenty of light. Though, you may want to add a couple to the rear wall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.