AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following a pretty severe lightning storm, my 82TXS receiver is acting a bit weird. It powers up and video menu functions seem to work (though it won't pass video), none of the audio information comes up on the display. None of the audio feature controls have any effect. It won't pass audio either. I've tried resetting the unit from the front panel and I've unplugged it a few times, but nothing changes. All that displays is the source. Is it toast?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I can relate. Yes, it is likely toast.

That's assuming you took a hit. When it happened to me it took out three DirecTV receivers, two telephones, two ethernet NIC cards, one DVD player and only one video-in on my AVR. I'm still using the same AVR today with no other symptoms. That was two years ago and I've noticed strange behavior on several other electronic devices.

Of course, to replace all the above (except AVR) cost around $1000. Since I carry $1000 deductible on my homeowners policy, there was no sense in reporting it.

You may have luck in sending it in for repair, but if it indeed took a direct hit, you'd likely be sending good money after bad.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a nearby lightning strike take out my old Sony DB840 even tho the surge supressor it was plugged into was turned off. Of course now I have an excuse to upgrade! If I can only make up my mind. lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts