AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently we had a lightning strike very close to our house today and it took out my PC and my wife's work laptop as she was working from home. My PC was connected to a surge protector with connected device insurance and hers was just plugged into a regular power strip. Our modem wasn't protected either but it is still working fine as I am using it now. My computer doesn't power on at all, neither does the laptop but thats not my problem
. Anyhow I am planning on contacting my home insurance company tomorrow and from there proceed with the device protection. My question is, what is most likely the damaged components in my pc? I would rather not spend another 1400 on a whole new pc. Please any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by verti89 /forum/post/14256980

Apparently we had a lightning strike very close to our house today and it took out my PC and my wife's work laptop as she was working from home. My PC was connected to a surge protector with connected device insurance and hers was just plugged into a regular power strip. Our modem wasn't protected either but it is still working fine as I am using it now. My computer doesn't power on at all, neither does the laptop but thats not my problem
. Anyhow I am planning on contacting my home insurance company tomorrow and from there proceed with the device protection. My question is, what is most likely the damaged components in my pc? I would rather not spend another 1400 on a whole new pc. Please any suggestions would be welcome.

I would start with the power supply. From there, you can test the memory. If it is not either of those, most likely it is the motherboard.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by verti89 /forum/post/14256980

Anyhow I am planning on contacting my home insurance company tomorrow

Be prepared to learn a wonderful reality. Any claim you make on your home insurance policy is going to cause your premiums to skyrocket, most likely well beyond the $1400 you would recover for the PC. For small dollar amount items, it is almost never worthwhile to file a claim. Also, if you do it more than once or twice, you will learn another great feature of the insurance industry, a canceled policy and being blackballed from all other insurance agencies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts