AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my wife and I were away on vacation last week there was apparently a pretty severe lightning storm in the area. We came home to find the fridge not working and a lot of the HT electronics not working correctly.

Playstation doesn't seem to output sound anymore. Receiver doesn't want anything to do with HDMI, video or audio but seems to work fine with component inputs. TV's don't seem to want to take HDMI either. HTPC's aren't wanting to give HDMI output (dvi to monitor works fine though). Router and switch were both toast. It does seem like whatever input ports were being used (lots of hdmi ports) are the only things that got toasted.

All of the electronics were plugged into moderately priced surge protectors. I really would have though that lightning would have completely fried each piece entirely but that doesn't seem to be the case. With everything that isn't working 100% correct I just can't see this being unrelated to the storm. Anybody heard of this type of scenario before where it only affects certain parts of the electronics?

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
Lightning can do strange things .. check with neighbors .. see what they say .. call insurance .. prepare to do battle with them ..

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
The fact that the frig as well as several HT components are no longer working indicates it had to be some kind of electrical surge that caused the damage. Additionally, HDMI boards are especially sensitive to electrical surges and very expensive to replace as well. You may want to consider having an electrician install a "whole house" surge protector which he can both procure and install on your outside main power panel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts