AVS Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Thanks for your reply. You may have missed the part where I mentioned being a retired master electrician, I failed to mention that I wired the house myself. It is grounded properly. The induced voltage from a lightning strike can be huge if there are wires around to get induced to. It seems like the hdmi ports are very sensitive to voltage spikes. I feel like the first strike was induced by the camera cable system but it would be hard to prove.
Then I see one of these in your future. I have two of them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBK3QK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do you like those UPS systems? Looks like a good thing to use with the security camera system. Thanks for the link.

While UPS systems are not completely isolating incoming voltage they can be about the equivalent of a good surge arrestor. Looks like nothing is going to protect the HDMI ports.

I feel my issues have been caused from the induced voltage from a nearby lightning strike into the security camera cables(cat5) and since it is tied to my tv and the HTPC is as well it is causing more widespread damage. The more I think about it the more inclined I am to get a separate monitor for the security cameras. While it is really cool to monitor the cameras with a simple click of the tv remote these strikes are getting expensive. We get our fair share of thunderstorms and tornadoes here in the South so it will continue to be a problem.

·
Registered
789 Posts
@AXMRDR I love them. I've now had one of them long enough to have changed the original batteries out twice. I used to get damaged electronics with voltage issues, brownouts and the like. I've never had any damage since getting these though. First one was ordered in March 2009, second one in September 2015. Newer one presently runs all my electronics, tv, Blue Ray, Tivo, vcr, FTA satellite receiver, Firestick, WDTVlive, Chromecast with Google tv, router & cable modem, and Ooma Telo.

Handles them all well. I can go an hour or so through a full power outage, before it dies completely. That's plenty of time to wait it out, or decide to crank up the generator. I have one wired into the breaker panel with a lockout, but it's not automatic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@AXMRDR I love them. I've now had one of them long enough to have changed the original batteries out twice. I used to get damaged electronics with voltage issues, brownouts and the like. I've never had any damage since getting these though. First one was ordered in March 2009, second one in September 2015. Newer one presently runs all my electronics, tv, Blue Ray, Tivo, vcr, FTA satellite receiver, Firestick, WDTVlive, Chromecast with Google tv, router & cable modem, and Ooma Telo.

Handles them all well. I can go an hour or so through a full power outage, before it dies completely. That's plenty of time to wait it out, or decide to crank up the generator. I have one wired into the breaker panel with a lockout, but it's not automatic.
Wow, that's an impressive track record.

That is a great idea to power the internet modem with one. I use android tablets quite a bit around the house to pass the time. Dang, I may have to get 2 because the wifi and security hub are in 2 different locations.

Our utility company service is pretty good about not having brown outs or voltage spikes - minus a lightning strike to a line. At our old house we had a back-up generator that started after 20 seconds of losing power, that was pretty nice. It was mandatory to keep power to our sump pump to prevent our basement from flooding. Our new house has a walk out basement so I didn't see the need for an automatic generator. We have a smaller generator now but like yours, this one isn't automatic. It's the simple things like electricity that are hard to live without lol.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
dapriett;
I didn't see where you are located and if there was a reported nearby lightning strike? I have to assume it is a rural area.
None of those manufactures questioned what took out their equipment? Does your insurance cover any of that?

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
dapriett

Registered
Joined Dec 28, 2008
Last seen May 2, 2014

Lucky most of my stuff was still under warranty, so I did most of the repairs through that in order to avoid insurance.

Reactions: Primestar31
81 - 87 of 87 Posts