AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago, a lightning strike during an afternoon storm looks like it has knocked out my HDMI2 port on my Sony vpl-vw500es. The projector is a few years old and like many other 4k Sony projector suffers somewhat with contrast loss and gamma droop. Overall though its been a great projector as I have logged close to 8000 hours (5 bulbs) over 6 years. The projector still works (on HDMI1 input) but the loss of the other port means no 4k inputs due to the handshake requirements. That being said, time to move on to a new model. I am hoping to get some advice and feedback from the great group of folks on this site.

My current theater room is actually a family room that is not an ideal set up due to a few windows, an open space connecting the room to our dining room and library, and some light brown walls. I do have good blackout window shades and a draw curtain to help with daytime viewing. My previous home had a basement HT so this one is not as good. I usually watch TV or movies at night. My screen is a 105 inch wide 2.35 Seymour/SE EN4k screen that is acoustically transparent. it has a gain of about 0.9 if I remember correctly. The screen is retractable and has masking panels for normal wide screen viewing.

I am considering two tiers of projectors that I was hoping for some ideas and thoughts for the group. The two projectors in the low tier I am considering are the Sony 695 and the JVC NX-7. These are comparable from a price and lumen standpoint and should work well in my setup with my screen. The high tier projectors I am considering are the JVC NX-9 and Sony 885. I am hoping that an 885 can be purchased for less than 17,000 making it price competitive with the NX-9. Lumens are similar. my budget is flexible if the upgrade is worth the extra outlay

I am a heavy user with 1000 to 2000 hour/year use hence I am a little concerned about a laser petering out but I also hope that with the increased lumens compared to my 500es, that I could run the projector on low setting, hence extend the life. However, I have no issue changing bulbs also.

My key questions concerning the Lower tier are:
1. The 695 and NX-7 appear to be very similar in price point and lumens, so how do they compare to each other concerning contrast, sharpness, ease of use, HDR performance, tone mapping, bulb life, motion induce artifacts, and quietness. is there a clear winner if the price is very similar
2. are there any promo's or competitive deals on either projector if performance is considered close

My key question on the higher tier are similar, but I am interested the extra cash for either of the higher tier is equal to the improvement in Lumens or hardware. I know the 885 is a laser based unit with improved optics compared to the 695. I also understand the NX-9 is an 8k eshift technology with good optics.
1. Are these two projectors comparable assuming I could get the 885 at a similar price point.
2. are the optics better in the 885 or NX-9?
3. HOw about HDR performance, tone mapping, quietness and motion induced artifacts between the two.
4. I know the laser is touted as 20,000 hours with minimum loss of brightness (at full power), but quickly does the bulb dim in the NX-9?

Finally, anything significant I have missed?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments
Tom (oilmanmojo)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Did you have replacement cost coverage under your homeowner's insurance? If so, I'd have a service person document that an electrical surge damaged the projector. While technically replacement cost coverage will only allow you to purchase the same model projector that got fried, or an equivalent current model if your model is no longer sold, some insurance carriers will work with you if you intend to replace the damaged unit with a more expensive one.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have replacement cost coverage under your homeowner's insurance? If so, I'd have a service person document that an electrical surge damaged the projector. While technically replacement cost coverage will only allow you to purchase the same model projector that got fried, or an equivalent current model if your model is no longer sold, some insurance carriers will work with you if you intend to replace the damaged unit with a more expensive one.
yep, working that angle in parallel. This big issue is that the projector still works as just the HDMI2 port was affected. Unfortunately on this model, that is the HDCP2.2 handshake which means I cannot utilize 4k material

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, working that angle in parallel. This big issue is that the projector still works as just the HDMI2 port was affected. Unfortunately on this model, that is the HDCP2.2 handshake which means I cannot utilize 4k material:frown::(

·
Registered
28,820 Posts
yep, working that angle in parallel. This big issue is that the projector still works as just the HDMI2 port was affected. Unfortunately on this model, that is the HDCP2.2 handshake which means I cannot utilize 4k material
I bet the insurance company will have you send in your projector for replacement of the HDMI board. As for the difference between the VW695 and the RS2000:

RS2000 has higher native contrast.
RS2000 has dynamic tone mapping of HDR. (this is a biggie)
RS2000 has wider color space for HDR.
RS2000 can be set up to auto switch between SDR and HDR. Sony you have to select, when you go back and forth. (this is pretty big also)

With the price difference between the VW885 and the RS3000 giving you enough money to have 8.6 lamps, I would not worry about buying a lamp based projector. Counting the lamp in the projector, that is nearly ten years worth, if you changed every year. And with the lamp, you get your brightness back. 5 years at 2,000 a year and the VW885 will have lost some brightness you can't get back.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I bet the insurance company will have you send in your projector for replacement of the HDMI board. As for the difference between the VW695 and the RS2000:

RS2000 can be set up to auto switch between SDR and HDR. Sony you have to select, when you go back and forth. (this is pretty big also)

With the price difference between the VW885 and the RS3000 giving you enough money to have 8.6 lamps, I would not worry about buying a lamp based projector. Counting the lamp in the projector, that is nearly ten years worth, if you changed every year. And with the lamp, you get your brightness back. 5 years at 2,000 a year and the VW885 will have lost some brightness you can't get back.
I have a Sony 695ES and it automatically switches between SDR and HDR content. When I play HDR content the Sony automatically selects Bt. 2020 and HDR (Contrast) appears. When I play SDR content the Sony displays rec. 709 and normal contrast. I never have to manually select either of these settings.

Tom

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Mike--Thanks for the info. I am concerned about the life of the laser. If I go that route, I would probably shift my viewing habits a little and try to run on low power to extend life if my smaller screen allows for good HDR at low setting. Concerning the lamp/price comparison difference is this based on MSRP for 885 and RS3000. I understand both can be purchased at significant price discount to MSRP.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Sony 695ES and it automatically switches between SDR and HDR content. When I play HDR content the Sony automatically selects Bt. 2020 and HDR (Contrast) appears. When I play SDR content the Sony displays rec. 709 and normal contrast. I never have to manually select either of these settings.

Tom
Tom--thanks for info. Did you own a projector before the Sony 695es, if so, what projector and what big difference did you see when getting the 695?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Tom--thanks for info. Did you own a projector before the Sony 695es, if so, what projector and what big difference did you see when getting the 695?
My previous projector was a Sony 665ES. Both the 695 and 665 produce a nice image. The 695 has somewhat better contrast than the 665 and HDR content looks nicer on the 695 perhaps due to the 695 being able to display 60p + 4K + WCG material whereas the 665 was limited to 24p + 4K + WCG. I do wish that Sony would implement dynamic tone mapping similar what JVC has done on their projectors. I see no reason that Sony could not do this via a firmware upgrade, but to date Sony has not issued any firmware updates to the 695. I had both of my Sony projectors calibrated by ChadB in February of this year, and I am very pleased with the image quality from both projectors. I have had excellent reliability in all of my last four Sony projectors.

Tom

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My previous projector was a Sony 665ES. Both the 695 and 665 produce a nice image. The 695 has somewhat better contrast than the 665 and HDR content looks nicer on the 695 perhaps due to the 695 being able to display 60p + 4K + WCG material whereas the 665 was limited to 24p + 4K + WCG. I do wish that Sony would implement dynamic tone mapping similar what JVC has done on their projectors. I see no reason that Sony could not do this via a firmware upgrade, but to date Sony has not issued any firmware updates to the 695. I had both of my Sony projectors calibrated by ChadB in February of this year, and I am very pleased with the image quality from both projectors. I have had excellent reliability in all of my last four Sony projectors.

Tom
thanks! This is helpful
Tom

·
Registered
28,820 Posts
Mike--Thanks for the info. I am concerned about the life of the laser. If I go that route, I would probably shift my viewing habits a little and try to run on low power to extend life if my smaller screen allows for good HDR at low setting. Concerning the lamp/price comparison difference is this based on MSRP for 885 and RS3000. I understand both can be purchased at significant price discount to MSRP.
Street price.

·
Registered
28,820 Posts

Tom
With the Sony everytime you go to HDR, you have to adjust it to get the best image with an HDR source. It will not automatically do that, like the JVC will. So when you switch back to SDR and then watch another HDR movie, once again you have to adjust it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
With the Sony everytime you go to HDR, you have to adjust it to get the best image with an HDR source. It will not automatically do that, like the JVC will. So when you switch back to SDR and then watch another HDR movie, once again you have to adjust it.
Mike, I assume that what you mean when you say you have to adjust the 695 when you switch to HDR that you are referring to adjusting the HDR(Contrast) slider. I keep that slider set at 90% and find that only very rarely do I need to adjust it for most HDR content. Occasionally, with a few UHD blu-ray titles, I do lower that setting to avoid blown out highlights. I do not find such occasional adjustments to be onerous. When switching back to SDR content I have never needed to make any adjustments.

·
Registered
28,820 Posts
Mike, I assume that what you mean when you say you have to adjust the 695 when you switch to HDR that you are referring to adjusting the HDR(Contrast) slider. I keep that slider set at 90% and find that only very rarely do I need to adjust it for most HDR content. Occasionally, with a few UHD blu-ray titles, I do lower that setting to avoid blown out highlights. I do not find such occasional adjustments to be onerous. When switching back to SDR content I have never needed to make any adjustments.
Which is not a problem for people like us, but it is for people like my wife. Though I will have to say, now that I have my system doing nearly everything automaticlly, including auto aspect control on my scope screen, I am enjoying not having to mess with anything. Just pop in a movie and watch. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mendtronics repair

As part of my new projector search, I am getting my old projector looked at to see if it is viable for repair, Has anyone used Mendtronics out of Atlanta? They seem fairly reasonable to get a quote but was interested in if any forum user was familiar with company? Thanks

·
Registered
28,820 Posts
As part of my new projector search, I am getting my old projector looked at to see if it is viable for repair, Has anyone used Mendtronics out of Atlanta? They seem fairly reasonable to get a quote but was interested in if any forum user was familiar with company? Thanks
Mendtronics does JVC's repair work. I am surprised you are not sending to United Radio, since that is the company that does Sony's repair work.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mendtronics does JVC's repair work. I am surprised you are not sending to United Radio, since that is the company that does Sony's repair work.
Mike--Thanks, I forgot about them, I will check on them also. THe Mendtroniks site says they repair Sony projectors and they are a little closer to me than United Radio which is in New York I think. DO you have an opinion about Mendtronik

·
Registered
28,820 Posts
Mike--Thanks, I forgot about them, I will check on them also. THe Mendtroniks site says they repair Sony projectors and they are a little closer to me than United Radio which is in New York I think. DO you have an opinion about Mendtronik
They are fine. Have done a lot of projector repairs.

·
Registered
568 Posts
About three years ago my Sony 665ES projector was damaged by the static discharge from a nearby lightening strike. (Both the active HDMI cable leading to the projector and the projector's HDMI input board were damaged.) My dealer sent the projector under warranty to United Radio (which Mike mentioned) and it was repaired and returned in perfect condition to me in less than one week (five business days to be exact). I was very pleased with their service.

Tom

1 - 20 of 33 Posts