AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Onkyo TX-SR803 got burned by lightning today

I was watching TV when a bolt of lightning struck. Nothing happened at all anywhere in the house (the lights did not flicker, etc). However, the speakers had some some static in them for a few seconds immediately after the strike.

"No worries!" ... or so I thought. But about 10 minutes after the strike, the Onkyo started flickering and lost sound. At the same time I smelled the dreaded fried-circuit-smell. I shut it down and said a few words that I won't repeat here. I waited a few minutes, powered it up and still no sound so I shut it down again. I am absolutely positive that the receiver got burned. I say this because of the smell from the unit, loss of sound and the flickering that I saw in the display. I should mention that the fried-circuit-smell was significant enough to stay in my 14'x18' room for at least 2 hours.

6 hours later ... I'm sitting here watching (and more importantly listening) to a game. The Onkyo appears to be working just fine. But I'm wondering ... "Why is this receiver still working if it got burned?". And, if it got burned, will it fail in the next few days?

Any thoughts appreciated ...

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Take the unit to a service center and have it checked out. Sounds like it could be a fire hazard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts