AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a nasty lightning strike hit a tree near our house last week, then travel to the basement and fry a bunch of components. It appears that the current arced from the galvanized conduit servicing a quad outlet box to the naked phone line hanging about 8" away (this phone line services my 5040 unit). The phone line is nearly separated, and clearly fried. The dongle in the back of the Replay is blackened.

Electrician is coming out today to assess damage. After he repairs quad box and gets electricity back down where the components are. What are the chances that (a) Replay is totally OK; (b) Replay phone dongle is fried, but Replay is otherwise OK; or (c) Replay is toast?

Obviously, I'll have to hook everything up and test it once the current is back up and running, but I'm curious if anyone has any similar experiences/thoughts. If the modem is fried, only, I assume that's something that I could try replacing ?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You can assume it is toast (pun intended). Either try connecting via broadband (assuming the rest of the unit isn't electrocuted) or ask Mickeyboy about modem replacement.

a) Zero

b) 100% if by "dongle" you mean the jack and internal modem.

c) 25%

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/0

You can assume it is toast (pun intended). Either try connecting via broadband (assuming the rest of the unit isn't electrocuted) or ask Mickeyboy about modem replacement.

a) Zero

b) 100% if by "dongle" you mean the jack and internal modem.

c) 25%

I'm afraid initial reports are (c), that it's toast. Plugged it in, and nothing. No activity whatsoever. Looks like a goner.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Check the fuse on the power supply. If the unit is lifetime, Mikeyboy offers mb swaps.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I thought of that after I posted - good idea. Will check it out. Thanks...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts