AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm finally going to replace my fried Panasonic DVD-R/DVD-RAM recorder, which was fried by lightning back on March 31. Where's the best deal from a reputable merchant? So far, Profeel has it for $618. Can I do better short of an open-box buy at Sears? (Haven't actually seen any of those, but I've heard about them.)

Thanks.

By the way, for anybody considering this unit, let me say I was totally happy with it. I had it for a few weeks before my house got zapped, and I made many, many fine recordings of classic movies from my DirecTivo. Also copied a few VHS tapes, laserdiscs and MiniDV tapes. Thumbs up all around, especially since the prices on media and DVD recorders are falling. The only problems I had were when I used some seriously suspect (read: very cheap) media. Using name-brand stuff, no troubles.

I know the E30 is due soon, but I want another E20 now.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Last time I checked videodirect was selling them for $599. You have to have them email the quote to you.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
Hope you get a good surge protector with your replacement player...

:D

Dan

·
Registered
826 Posts
Doesn't home owners/renters insurance cover it? I had a TV fried a few years back, and my insurance covered the replacement cost of a similar model on the market, then.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Homeowners is paying for it, now that I have convinced the claims adjuster that I can buy a new one for about the same price as the repair bill. That's why I was wanting to know what the good deals are. Now I've got the OK to buy the one for $618, so I'm good to go.

I don't think the Panasonic warranty covers lightning damage. I might have tried that route if it was just the recorder, but this was a massive surge that knocked out almost every piece of electronic gear I own. Some stuff has been repaired, and some replaced.

Another avenue of insurance protection is the surge protector companies. I now have new surge protectors with coverage, but all my old surge protectors were from 1995 and didn't have any warranties. Also, I'm signing up for whole-house surge protection and insurance with my utility company. That'll be for next time, if there is a next time. This time, it's all under my homeowner's policy.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
A lot of know hard it is to actually recover anything from those surge warranties. Same goes for the Utility warranty. Make sure it covers electronics. One guy on here did that and after a strike they told him it only covered Appliances and not electronics.

You're much better off speding the money on a Brickwall. These things rule. The president was a special guest on AVS here last month. That thread is eye opening.

http://www.pricewheeler.com/

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I'll look for that thread now. My electrical company offers two plans -- one that just covers appliances and another, more expensive version that covers electronics.

Unfortunately, the thunderstorm season has begun here on the Gulf Coast. I get nervous now every time I see a rain cloud. I unplug stuff all the time now. Unfortunately, my DirecTivo units like to be plugged into AC, satellite and phone lines most all the time to do me any good recording my shows. And my homeowner's policy excluded satellite TV gear from my coverage, although I have fixed that problem for next time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have one I was planning on posting for sale here on the forum. My wife and I received it as a gift about 6 months ago with the arrival of our first baby. We have never recorded on it and only played a few movies on it. We do not have the time to learn how to record on this thing. I have three dvd ram blank discs as well to go with it and all its origanl packing and box etc.. I just have to figure out what these are going for used. Any suggestions? Heck mine is practically new. We bought another dvd player and use it and this unit has been in the box for a month now ready for shipping.

Just an FYI if your interested or anyone else is.

Troy

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
There is a great quote from a guy in South America in that thread. Basically he's tried every surge unit out, Panamax, APC, etc. He's had them all blown up. The Brickwall was the only one to stop surges and NOT sacrafice itself.

I also use and really like the APC telephone and coax surge units. These all have to be grounded, like all good surges should.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think it is better to buy a UPS and get its added advantages, especially when you start getting into the pricier territory of surge protection. You may even find that the UPS is cheaper! Mine keeps two IRDs, RF modulators, a DD receiver, a jukebox CD, DVD, and a 36" TV going for an hour without power. So far in a few years no component has fried or even had to have any maintenance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.