AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with this scene based lighting system? It looks to provide as good and maybe better control as Graphik Eye systems. I need IR control, 4 or 5 dimmers, 2 controller keypads, to control 5 scenes. The attached link is a reseller of this system with installation manuals.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hank

·
Registered
639 Posts
Check out the switches from PCS ; I use these for my theater lighting. You can define up to 16 scenes; I have 6 defined. I use these switches throughout my house and have never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Hank,

I have fairly extensive experience with the Lightilier CP and CS product lines for their switches and scene controllers bot at customers jobs and in my own theatre. They are in my opinion one of the best well engineered systems on the market, and a steal at the price.

You can putchase them at Worthington Distribution for about $55 / switch and $75 per 5 scene controller.

Lightolier it seems is a company that provides commercial and residential lighting products. When they decided they wanted to get into the PLC market they spent the R&D money and came up with a winner. If you talk to folks about other brands of X-10 stuff, you will find that they work....most of the time. Not the Lightolier, it works ALL the time.

And the best part, the Scene Controller has an IR input on the front and there is a Pronto file available. You can individually per scene or per switch vary the off time from a few seconds to an hour.

It is definately a winner and when you compare the more expensive Grafix Eye the cost savings is substantial.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you,

Tis is what I needed to know. The Lightroler Compose looked to be the easiest, most complete system outside of the Graphik Eye system. I wanted to find someone who has experience w/ Compose. Thanks for the positive comments.

Hank

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Steve,

I do not know how they are different from the switches you listed below so I cannot comment.

When we first got on to the idea of using X-10 for scene controls, we talked to people who had them installed and their comments were all basically the same. "They work great.....most of the time" Well most of the time just wasn't going to work for me or my customers, as I really don't need the head aches.

We then called Worthington Distribution not knowing what product we wanted, but what we did know was that it had to work.....just like a switch, all the time and every time. And the same helt true for the scene controllers. There just couldn't be any of this most of the time stuff.

After spending about an hour on the phone with Steve from technical support(I think that was his name), he convinced me to try the product because it worked all the time. They are very familiar w/ X-10 products and said that Lightolier was one of the few companies that rather than follow suit actually spent a considerable amount on R&D to develop this product. He also cited an example of see a demo that had over 3V of "noise" on the power line and the system never glitched. He was so impressed with the product (and keep in mind he deals with X-10 every day) that he spent his entire bonus from work on refitting his home with the switches and scene controllers. He even sent me the Pronto CCF file via email, which works great BTW.

My experience and my customers experience, it works all the time and every time, not most of the time, like it should.

As far as I am concerned this is one of the best kept secrets out there and Lightoleir needs to expand the marketing more aggressively to the consumer level. There is just no reason to spen the kind of money required to control HT lighting that Grafix Eye and Lutron gets for their system.

Have fun Hank, I think you'll like it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Chuchuf

When i built my house, I confered with Rich Schol at Worthington. I installed a dedicated breaker box that supplies electrical power to control only x-10 devices (lights, fireplace, etc.). In addition, a whole house surge suprressor was installed on each of my 4 breaker boxes (I have 800 Amp service), along with 1 x-10 signal repeater.

I have approximately 40 receivers made by ACT (they used to be part of Leviton) (mounted in the basement and attic) along with approximately the same number of Levitom 16450 x-10 transmitters to control the switches. Plus, i have a computer that controls/monitors everything.

This system was installed approx. 5 years ago. In that time, 2 receivers went bad (1 receiver was originally the wrong type for the application, and 1 went bad when the light bulb burnt out (the going bad of the receiver is the first time this ever happened) and one transmitter went bad after being zapped with static electricity. Otherwise, everthing has worked fine all the time, without dropped signals.

BTW, I even have Smarthome SwitchLincs receivers and KeyPadLincs transmitters installed without any problems. I know people complain about these, but they work fine for me. Perhaps it is because it is new construction, and the proper precautions were taken at the time, rather than trying to do a retrofit.

steve

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
David,

I believe that the link for Worthington is worthingtondist.com (I think, or just do a look up for the on the net)

For your layout with the Lightolier switches and scene controller, eact switch has to be wired with a hot, neutral, load and ground. Anotherwords no switch legs. The scene controller just needs a hot, neutral and groung and it can be pulled from any circuit. The only other precaution is that all the circuits that the scene controller is going to control need to be "in phase". This is easy to accomplish in that as you are looking at your circuit breakers, looking down a row of them, every other one is in phase.

As good as this stuff works and in that the scene controller has a built in IR receiver, I can't believe more folks haven't discovered this system

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
David, I checked out those links I suggested at grater detail. Most of the information there is intended for retailers or installers, and very little for the DIYers. None of the dealer pages seemed to have links to web sites. I apologize if you don't find what you were looking for. (I know I didn't.)

That new Worthington link provides good information!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have used Compose switches in my theater - 4 CPs and one Eclipse keypad. They are a breeze to install and have worked flawlessly. Because they are "peer-to-peer" switches, it is very easy to expand the system later.

The folks at Worthington are also a huge help if you need assistance.

jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.